Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

35 minutes ago, red card said:

But for the first he did get beat easily for the first time that I can recall for Canada.

That being said McKennie is strong on corner kick headers. Thankfully, Milan bailed out Johnston & Canada.

Agreed, he got pushed a bit. But the worst error was a clearing in the box straight to a US player. He has room to grow, but really, the guy makes so few errors and is very consistent. Playing way above his head and is incredibly focused, fit and consistent. 

I know I should not say this, but I seriously believe that the fact he looks so innocent and lightweight probably means he's discriminated, he doesn't look badass. European scouts can be real idiots with such things, image over substance. 

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed, he got pushed a bit. But the worst error was a clearing in the box straight to a US player. He has room to grow, but really, the guy makes so few errors and is very consistent. Playing way above his head and is incredibly focused, fit and consistent. 

I know I should not say this, but I seriously believe that the fact he looks so innocent and lightweight probably means he's discriminated, he doesn't look badass. European scouts can be real idiots with such things, image over substance. 

He needs a few neck tats that seem to be all the rage these days

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love Johnston and think he is great too, but that header was the big mistake that stood out to me. We were very lucky not to get punished on that. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying this, and I bet you are 100% correct on this. The funny thing is, it only takes a single, unbiased viewing to clearly see he is tough as nails on the pitch.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

He needs a few neck tats that seem to be all the rage these days

No, no, no, noooo.  Get noticed.  Go completely the opposite.    Geek the fu'k out of your look

Get some cosmetic dentinstry, a tooth gap, you know.  Wear some crazy specs off pitch, whether you need them or not.  Make an ascot a fixture with ALL your apparel, including your trackies.  If not that then an infinity scarf.  Add a digital wristwatch to your look.  See if you can get Osorio to share his barber's business card with you (good luck with that!).

Maybe a cowboy hat.  Leather.  

If you have to get some visible ink it better include "Mom" and a heart.  Or maybe Mario of Mario Brothers fame.  With a giant mallet smashing the word "Haters".  Right there on outside of your fore arm.

Just a suggestion.  Seperate yourself from the herd! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Liked this quote from Johnston:

“John has an amazing understanding of what each player needs to play at a level that they didn’t even know they had in them,” Johnston said. “That’s how he’s got players like me who were less than 24 months out from going to economics classes in college in the morning to going up against Christian Pulisic or Chucky Lozano with no fear.”

Really shows how far he’s come so quickly.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/alistair-johnston-move-to-montreal-quot-felt-right-quot-herdman-quot-driving-force-quot-behind-canadas-success/view/news/401470

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Didn't Nashville use him as a traditional right Midfielder?

The whole RCB thing was a Herdman invention 

Correct. I believe @VinceA’s point is that he’s never played RWB, which is a completely different role than RB or RM. 

He provides good service, so I understand the temptation to try him out there but he isn’t a player to run a wing all on his own.

10 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

So was he decent today? From what I saw in CCL, he was making some very unjohnstonlike errors.

Considering Montreal are a tire fire at the back none of their defenders have been covering themselves in glory lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Throughout the Ocho, he has been such a steady performer for us.  He is a very smart player who know what he needs to do to get the job done:  no flashy, "hero" challenges, just smart reading of the threat developing snd snuffing it out before it became a more serious issue.  As well, he provided the offensive spark that we really needed in Edmonton when he attacked the space the Mexicans afforded him after he won the ball (in typical, smart fashion) and took that well executed distance shot which Achoa ended up spilling (and probably other keepers would have had the same result in those conditions) leading to Larin's opener.  That was a crucial juncture in the match, just before the half. 

Great work, Alistair!  You can count me as a member of "Ally's Army!"