Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Sturring selected as a replacement? Would Waterman have been a better choice? Maybe as he is in season. Is Sturring with a club these days? I hope that Unattached FC does not make too much of a significant comeback, Holiett notwithstanding

Certainly, unless he is injured, I agree that Gutierrez should be an obvious choice for LB depth. His omission is puzzling.

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

Is Sturring official?

I only see the news here

He is listed in the squad here:

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-kicks-off-group-phase-at-the-2021-concacaf-gold-cup/

I like him as Kennedy's replacement much much more than I like Davies' replacement of "nobody", which for me seems to reek of a budgetary decision not to fly anyone else in. Everyone to a man in UEFA is talking about how great it was to have squads of 26 players for a major tourney but we are voluntarily going with one less apparently despite a player pool which probably now is our largest ever (even surpassing the previous height of the late 70s/early 80s).

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Gutierrez would be a great replacement but as far as a starting 11 goes.. I would just pencil in Hoilett as a starter now

Looks like you and me showing the most Hoilett love. I'm predicting he will have a great tourny. 

At only 31 and with his experience I think he has tons of gas still left in his tank for his career and for the CMNT.

Cav, Theo, Larin, JH, Buchanan, Ayo all going to be super motivated to crush this tourny. 

Overall the team now looks much closer to what I thought it was going to look like (e.g. Euro-lite) prior to all this talk of bringing our strongest team possible. The exceptions were that I didn't think we'd have Larin or Eustaquio and possibly not Vitoria either. If you had told me that this was going to be the roster a couple of weeks ago I would have been pleasantly surprised with it (except of course for the going one player short of the 23), but now given that it's pretty much a B+ team at best (with five starters & at least another 3 players, if not five that would normally be in the overall 23 man roster missing), it feels a bit disappointing because expectations had been raised in the interim. In any event, still excited for the tourney and have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

2 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Looks like you and me showing the most Hoilett love. I'm predicting he will have a great tourny. 

At only 31 and with his experience I think he has tons of gas still left in his tank for his career and for the CMNT.

Cav, Theo, Larin, JH, Buchanan, Ayo all going to be super motivated to crush this tourny. 

I think Hoiletts been all in on Canada lately so cheers to that