Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So that leaves 16 players who can come as replacements, right? The final squads are 23 players. Am I missing something? 

My guess is it's hard to gather the players at this point.

Plus I bet quite a few on the list were hopeful inclusions similar to Jebbison and Flores.

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

Guatemala isn't bringing their A Team. Its a mix of youth players and some veterans.

Curacao doesn't have a lot of depth.

They literally have 16 players on a preliminary list. All they would need to do is fill whatever the minimum requirment is to play.

For someone who is not happy with what's happened to Curacao you seem to be making a lot of excuses.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They literally have 16 players on a preliminary list. All they would need to do is fill whatever the minimum requirment is to play.

For someone who is not happy with what's happened to Curacao you seem to be making a lot of excuses.

You are always the least reasonable poster on this forum.

Which probably explains a lot of your terrible covid/vaccination takes.

Besides I'm not taking the time to analyze the 16 players that were left off. I actually don't care that much.

But my guess is a number of them are Euro based and are now in pre-season with their clubs. It would be insane to call up a player like that with little warning and expect them to drop everything they are doing and fly to North America to spend a few weeks.

Guatemala is sending mostly domestic players and are already situated on the same continent. And even they had to send a weakened squad at that.

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I bet it was a minor knock....they waited until the last minute to announce anything as there was a good chance he would stay and play.  If they knew he was out (ie semi serious injury) on tuesday, they would have had it all lined up by friday eh?? The fact that they didnt call Morgan etc ppints to that.  

I understand not taking any chances aggravating anything (ie Arfield) and wanting to be 100% for your club.  Davies is not replaceable, but its not like the old days, there is some decent depth at most spots.  

Just the contrary. If it's a little knock you don't eject a player from an entire tournament. 

It's obviously bad enough to know there is no medical possibility he could dress by the quarter finals. On the 25th or 26th. If it happened on Tuesday and they did a proper medical examination immediately, that means it's at least, minimum, a 20-day injury. 

So is not a fucking knock. 

Some if the posting on this thread had been the most naive, tendentious and irresponsible I've seen on the board in a long time. 

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

But my guess is a number of them are Euro based and are now in pre-season with their clubs. It would be insane to call up a player like that with little warning and expect them to drop everything they are doing and fly to North America to spend a few weeks.

It doesn't seem like they were even given the chance to try and call players in. That's the point.

If there was some indication that Curacao chose to drop out because it was hard to get players in from the preliminary roster, then fair enough it's their choice. But even then, couldn't an exception be made to let them bring in some domestic players last minute?

Replacing a team for any reason should be the last resort, but it seems to be the first resort in this case. Funny that it's Guatemala too, a team that would draw very well and make them $$$.

Let's face it though, do any of us expext concacaf to put the integrity of sport above money? If they did the tournament wouldn't forever be hosted in the United States.

Joke.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It doesn't seem like they were even given the chance to try and call players in. That's the point.

If there was some indication that Curacao chose to drop out because it was hard to get players in from the preliminary roster, then fair enough it's their choice. But even then, couldn't an exception be made to let them bring in some domestic players last minute?

Replacing a team for any reason should be the last resort, but it seems to be the first resort in this case. Funny that it's Guatemala too, a team that would draw very well and make them $$$.

Let's face it though, do any of us expext concacaf to put the integrity of sport above money? If they did the tournament wouldn't forever be hosted in the United States.

Joke.

I went to read the Concacaf press release on this

Looks like issue is that the players that tested negative still have to isolate due to how large the outbreak is.

That's probably why they don't have enough players 

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Uh oh, part 2

Bit fucking late in the day for this type of tomfoolery isn't it? 

"Ah shit I knew someone was missing from training."

Not calling people makes zero sense. Especially with many players not getting a chance for minutes in the MLS anyway.