Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

21 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Ferreira lol.

If we run 21 players for this tournament I'm gonna be so annoyed that is asking for problems.

Why laugh, Ferreira is a talented player, yes made of glass but still talented. Also he should be motivated. The gold cup could be his calling card for a new club

Edited by SpecialK

I'm not too plussed whether another player is called or not.

It would be too late for him to play in match 1. Maybe get some garbage minutes in game 2. Then not likely to play for rest of tourney. Not worth it for a regular MLS player - only a decent prop for a young bench player or playing on second team

Smaller clubs are more of a pain for releasing players. There was always 5/6 players in doubt a decade when many of our Euro players were in division 2 or lower. Guadeloupe just lost one of their Gold Cup prelim scorers because his club recalled him - though they just let go 9 players for refusing a covid-related pay cut.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Uh oh, part 2

Canada has the right to call him, Jahn has to release him. It's FIFA rules. 

Clearly Kennedy has not insisted, and all power to him. Nor has Herdman, he's had to back down on his little caprice. It is not WC qualifiers, it's just a tournament that doesn't clearly benefit our WC campaign, nor our players' careers except for the unattached. 

The simple fact the first match or group stage does not arouse anything like the tension and fan edginess those last 4 games did, proves this.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Bundesliga 2 starts in 2 weeks.  They probably applied pressure on Scott and JH to have him stay.  

Canada Soccer is in the right legally to have him released and I would be outraged if the Gold Cup was all we had.  But it isn’t so I’m not overly upset as long as there is a wink wink nod nod that we have no issues when WC Qualifying comes.  The pragmatic approach is to pick your battles.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Bundesliga 2 starts in 2 weeks.  They probably applied pressure on Scott and JH to have him stay.  

Canada Soccer is in the right legally to have him released and I would be outraged if the Gold Cup was all we had.  But it isn’t so I’m not overly upset as long as there is a wink wink nod nod that we have no issues when WC Qualifying comes.  The pragmatic approach is to pick your battles.

But pick them before you start. 

WC qualifying is the serious bloodletting, GC is like one Conner MacGregor weigh in after another with no fight ever taking place. 

I don't understand what the mystery is here.  Herdman clearly let his core choose whether to participate in the Gold Cup.  David stayed with Lille, Borjan went back to prep with his team etc.  This means that the players that were in camp wanted to be in camp, which is why the whole discussion of whether to call Davies or not was non-sensical.  He obviously wanted to be there until he turned his ankle.

Now Kennedy feeling the club pressure?  Okay, leave him with the team.  I'm personally not happy about that but whatever.  The starting 11 is going to change significantly over the next 8 months.  Might as well get as many of those 12-23 position players some game time with the core that's still there.