Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

34 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I think that CONCACAF has too many teams, and some of them should be transferred to CONMEBOL. For example, Suriname is located on the South American continent and shares a border with Brazil. The same reasoning can be used for Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, French Guiana, and Curacao.                                   In addition, there really needs to be a proper qualifying system for the myriad lower ranked CONCACAF teams to have only the strongest minnows advance to later rounds. Is there much benefit to having Canada defeat a minnow nation 11 - 0? The present system is clumsy and inefficient. 

Similarly, what would compel CONMEBOL to take them.  If we beat the Caymans 11-0, what would the Argentines or Colombians do to them. I don’t see any change happening even if CONCACAF ships two cargo planes full of $100 bills to them.

32 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Qatar should not be in the Gold Cup. Inviting teams from outside of CONCACAF makes the tournament less legitimate. What if QATAR won and became the CONCACAF champions? 

I believe Qatar cannot be CONCACAF champion. If they are in the final game, the CONCACAF team is already champion, as in 2000.

14 minutes ago, jtpc said:

What a fantastic result for Trinidad and Tobago last night, taking points off Mexico. 😀 A moment of national pride for sure. Good for them. That's an unexpected wrinkle to Group A. It will be fun to see how Group A plays out.

On the chant, I don't know if odd or strange are the right words, but I find it odd that even after their own players have pleaded with them not to do it, it's still happening. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it seems strange to me. For Mexico, 2 home WCQ matches without fans doesn't ultimately impact their chance of qualifying like it would other countries, but still, if one of our players actually had to get on a mic in the middle of the pitch and say please stop doing something (because if we didn't, there would be punishments that could affect our chances of succeeding), I'd like to think it would stop pretty quickly.

All this time I thought they were yelling "BUSTOS".

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Similarly, what would compel CONMEBOL to take them.  If we beat the Caymans 11-0, what would the Argentines or Colombians do to them. I don’t see any change happening even if CONCACAF ships two cargo planes full of $100 bills to them.

Why should that be our problem? If they in S. America then they belong in their conferderation.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Has anyone noticed what a cesspool Gold Cup twitter is?  It's 99% Mexicans and Americans $hitting on the tournament, $hitting on the other teams, complaining they can't play with CONMEBOL, complaining that CONCACAF is picking on Mexico for the chant yada yada.  

Mexican fans all whining about the ref in the yesterday's match with zero sense of irony.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Imagine if Haiti does the unthinkable and beats USA

Don’t think it’s too unrealistic IMO. It’s essentially the same team we played in WCQ and the USA’s GC squad is not better than what we had in June.