Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

13 hours ago, Free kick said:

My fears have come true, but I am relieved to hear that its just a sprain.   It was a good move to now exclude him from the gold cup because if its just a sprain, it means that he should be ready for the September window game.  The important games for canadian soccer.   

Last week, another thread, i stated that Davies (Davies only) should not be called for this event.  Precisely for this reason.  I made my case so i wont restate my arguments.  But there is one key point i left out, its that the clubs (unlike national teams) have better and greater resources and staff and environements to mitigate the risk of injuries.  Players are their assests.  This is the point noted by @Unnamed Trialist and that i was going to counter with to those who said that he could get injured anywhere and anytime.   In short, the fact that they have to send him back to BM to have the staff look at him,  is perfect reason for why he should never have been called up for this event.

Sure but same argument can be said that let's hope he doesn't get injured or tweek it during the August  intense opening month with BM's games.  He already missed ~6-8 weeks from in game injury while at BM. 

BM has a couple weeks of club friendlies in July, season opener mid August, DFL supercup final then 2 more important season games before September window. 

Injuries are part of the game , if he played at the gold cup, BM is smart and they would have integrated him slowly back through August and he'd be fine for September. 

He may be ready for full throttle mode now for BMs games the last few weeks of August. 

As long as not serious, everyone's opinion maybe are irrelevant anyways and this could be a blessing in disguise. BM medical team will get him to 100%, they likely slowly integrate him back through August now and he will be 100% for us come September.

Time will tell I guess. 

11 hours ago, ag futbol said:

I’d like to see something like this: 

Larin—-Cav—-Tajon 

Kaye—Eustaquio—Osorio 

Laryea—Kennedy—Victoria—Johnston

————crepeau————-

You have Larin that likes to cut in / play between the lines on the left and Laryea who will be hungry to get forward on the overlap.

Tajon stays more in the channel or is used with a quick switch of play to isolate the opposing fullback. Johnston provides cover and is stay-at-home in most circumstances.

Cav as the reference point up top. Swap Cav for Akinola and Pasher for one of the other forwards at 65. Tell everyone to go hard and keep hammering away at the opposition. 

Also would like to see us play with some midfield setups to find the group that has the best chemistry. Maybe Paton can surprise as a late game sub, although that probably means a formation change.

I really like this, but don't forget our boy Junior. He's a professional and I'm sure this camp has really bumped up his fitness.

Junior has always been a boss in Gold Cup's. I expect the same this time including him wearing the armband with a bit of Oso and Piette wearing the armband. 

Edited by apbsmith

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/article/concacaf-statement-curacao-delegation-at-2021-gold-cup/

"The next highest ranked team from the Gold Cup Preliminary Round (Prelims) is Guatemala. This is based on performance on the field (wins, draws and goal difference) in the Prelims matches played at DRV PNK Stadium in South Florida from July 2 to 6. On this basis and per the Gold Cup regulations, the Concacaf Council has unanimously approved an emergency proposal for Guatemala to replace Curaçao in Group A."

Interestingly, the results are tricky. When I first saw "highest ranked team from the prelims" mentioned (before reading the article) I thought it was based on CONCACAF Ranking. But they say it's based on their results in the prelims. Bermuda had the same goal difference as Guatemala, however Guatemala were eliminated in a shoot out. Shoot outs are often (for ranking purposes) considered more like a draw than a win/loss. So perhaps Guatemala are being considered to have 4 points (3 for their win in the first round, and 1 for the draw). The tricky thing is that French Guiana also would have 4 points. Guatemala won their first round game 4-0, and French Guiana were awarded a 3-0 win because Cuba couldn't make it into the country. So they had no chance to better that 4-0 result. It's all so confusing and it's a real shame Curacao can't play.

Thanks for the explanation Kent. I was wondering why Guatemala and not others. I wonder how they feel essentially qualifying by default? Everyone wants to earn their keep, but in WCQ they narrowly missed out on round 2 (ironically to Curaçao), and they narrowly missed out on the GC, so perhaps the players feel they got unlucky (twice) and deserved some good fortune. They should be qualifying for this regularly as well, given their historical performances.

But yeah, it is a shame that Curaçao were knocked out for non-sporting reasons. Kind of makes a joke of the tournament I was most excited to watch this summer. Between the Curaçao decision and Davies being withdrawn, I am definitely less enthused about watching than I was before...

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Since I said "I told you so" 2 hours before this news came out, I just thought I'd remind you all. 

Love the way folks wait all of half a minute to talk of replacing him. Injured? Brush that meat to the side and shout "NEXT". 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since I said "I told you so" 2 hours before this news came out, I just thought I'd remind you all. 

Love the way folks wait all of half a minute to talk of replacing him. Injured? Brush that meat to the side and shout "NEXT". 

Yeah. He’s a player for the national team that needs to be replaced now. What do you want us to do, send him flowers to his hospital bed? The guy sprained his ankle, he’ll be fine. Show goes on without him.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Another thing about the Curaçao situation, an alternative to dropping them out:

- Preliminary squad. Why couldn’t they bring in players to replace those who tested positive?

- Why couldn’t they have just delayed the match a bit longer to bring in some non-positive players?

Yeah it’s just bizarre. Seems opportunistic for CONCACAF. The nation qualified they should be able to bring in replacements. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah it’s just bizarre. Seems opportunistic for CONCACAF. The nation qualified they should be able to bring in replacements. 

It was my wife who actually asked me that (yes she is entertaining my soccer talk on this fine Saturday morning). 

Knowing CONCACAF it is all about the money. Guatemala can make them a lot more money than Curaçao. 

Question, if we make it into let’s say the semis. We can add players? Any player can be add from the 60 man list correct ? The Americans do that all time. They make it out of group and add their star players. Why not do the same. So have David and Davies some in for the Semis and finals. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

Question, if we make it into let’s say the semis. We can add players? Any player can be add from the 60 man list correct ? The Americans do that all time. They make it out of group and add their star players. Why not do the same. So have David and Davies some in for the Semis and finals. 

That happened in past editions but not sure it’s a thing anymore.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It was my wife who actually asked me that (yes she is entertaining my soccer talk on this fine Saturday morning). 

Knowing CONCACAF it is all about the money. Guatemala can make them a lot more money than Curaçao. 

Well just imagine if this happened to Canada. We could easily call in replacements. I doubt every curaçao player tested positive anyhow.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well just imagine if this happened to Canada. We could easily call in replacements. I doubt every curaçao player tested positive anyhow.

Yes we could, but if it weren't for uncle Vic maybe we'd be getting concacaf'd just like Curacao is. I want to hear a good reason why their replacements were not called in.

46 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah. He’s a player for the national team that needs to be replaced now. What do you want us to do, send him flowers to his hospital bed? The guy sprained his ankle, he’ll be fine. Show goes on without him.

How insensitive. 

In order to truly honour his memory, we should play down a man for the tournament.   Leave a spot open on the field for him.  Play a 3-4-2 with a huge gap on the left side in honour of his ankle.

Best scenario would be to not make it out of the group and get these players back to their clubs asap. 

If we cap a few guys or give those out of club minutes and exposure, great. Limit the damage and let's get back to acting like adults again, Mr Herdman. 

BTW, no club is required to release a player in these conditions, it's ridiculous some are saying this or that club would be jerks not to. 

The injury happened on Tuesday, so its a bit surprising (and perhaps alarming) that they haven't already announced a replacement or didn't have one announced at the same time they announced Davies was dropping out due to injury. I really hope we aren't going with a man down for the whole tourney when there is a replacement roster numbering nearly 40 players who could be called to replace him. Granted, I expect that it has to be North American-based players for whatever the quarantine regulations are coming from someone who has been in Europe so that might further wittle down the eligible number with the likes of Twardek unlikely at this point, but at the very least one would think they could grab Ashtone Morgan from RSL if nothing else (they don't seem to be using him a ton after all).

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Best scenario would be to not make it out of the group and get these players back to their clubs asap. 

If we cap a few guys or give those out of club minutes and exposure, great. Limit the damage and let's get back to acting like adults again, Mr Herdman. 

BTW, no club is required to release a player in these conditions, it's ridiculous some are saying this or that club would be jerks not to. 

There are no words for how stupid this post is. Yes, let’s get our 13 MLS players back ASAP. Let’s limit our experience and go into the octo with our best experience being a game against USA B. It’s what adults would do. Like perennial champions Mexico. 

58 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The injury happened on Tuesday, so its a bit surprising (and perhaps alarming) that they haven't already announced a replacement or didn't have one announced at the same time they announced Davies was dropping out due to injury. I really hope we aren't going with a man down for the whole tourney when there is a replacement roster numbering nearly 40 players who could be called to replace him. Granted, I expect that it has to be North American-based players for whatever the quarantine regulations are coming from someone who has been in Europe so that might further wittle down the eligible number with the likes of Twardek unlikely at this point, but at the very least one would think they could grab Ashtone Morgan from RSL if nothing else (they don't seem to be using him a ton after all).

I bet it was a minor knock....they waited until the last minute to announce anything as there was a good chance he would stay and play.  If they knew he was out (ie semi serious injury) on tuesday, they would have had it all lined up by friday eh?? The fact that they didnt call Morgan etc ppints to that.  

I understand not taking any chances aggravating anything (ie Arfield) and wanting to be 100% for your club.  Davies is not replaceable, but its not like the old days, there is some decent depth at most spots.  

11 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Any chance Regensburg has another Kennedy that plays for them? Apparently, he played another friendly today. No idea what the plan is to get him into our camp.

Also FWIW, Arfield hasn't been in either of Rangers 23 man squads for their 2 friendlies so far. Maybe the niggle is legit.

He posted a pic of it on his Instagram story - i can only assume he’s not going to be in the squad for Martinique. Maybe he arrives tomorrow ?

On 7/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, Aird25 said:

The Euros and Copa America have been incredible this summer. I can't believe people aren't excited about the Gold Cup, and don't want our best players to be part of it. 

If this confederation is going to grow then the Gold Cup needs to be taken seriously if not then what’s the purpose of it tell me ? Could you imagine the Euros having half ass national teams show up because players don’t want to risk injury for upcoming World Cup qualifiers or the risk of getting injured and missing games with their club teams. Either this thing is taken seriously or just scrap the tournament. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Another thing about the Curaçao situation, an alternative to dropping them out:

- Preliminary squad. Why couldn’t they bring in players to replace those who tested positive?

- Why couldn’t they have just delayed the match a bit longer to bring in some non-positive players?

Their preliminary squad only had 39 players listed. 

I'm not happy about what has happened to both Cuba and Curacao.