Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Going through El Salvador and Honduras rosters looks like they are both taking a similar approach to us, not many big guns left off and using the Gold Cup as a significant prep for their World Cup Qualifying.

Will definitely be keeping a close eye on all their matches. 

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Gutted for Davies, guy is a beast and a pure professional athlete that plays to win not participate. 

He had a significant ankle injury already playing in the Bundesliga, I wonder if it is the same ankle? Hopefully not that serious, glad he is being rocket shipped to Bayern's medical team to look after it. Last time the medical team there did a great job in the recovery, once recovered it appeared he did not miss a step.

That is why I don't mind him sitting this one out. It could be just a little tweak but take no chances with WCQ coming up.

51 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The 2000 Gold Cup was in February.  How were the 2000 Euros later in June a lead in to it?  I'm not sure what you mean here.

My memory is muddled. For the life of me, I thought EURO 2000 happened first. Well, doesn't really change the story too much. I think the hype of EURO 2000 occurring later in the summer helped with the interest for the Gold Cup that year.

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

Ouch, that hurts. And just like that our odds are slashed.

Let’s hope it’s nothing serious.

Probably nothing too serious. Anyhow, our chances are still good even without him.

Tajon Buchanan will now have his opportunity to shine in that position. I'm calling it now, Tajon will lead us to victory and he will be tournament MVP.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I forgot about Laryea being able to play on the left. Also remembering that MAK played there a bit too.

Yessir. Miller also can play there if needed.

I’m also reading discussions on Twitter where maybe CSA can pull on Valerenga a bit to release Adekugbe now that his signing is announced. 

7 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Yessir. Miller also can play there if needed.

I’m also reading discussions on Twitter where maybe CSA can pull on Valerenga a bit to release Adekugbe now that his signing is announced. 

Adekugbe wasn't on the 60 man roster so they can't.

Moves us from a A- down to at least a B+ squad, given that he was likely to be the best player in the tourney. 

Edwards might have been a decent choice to replace him as a left winger but he wasn’t on the 60 man roster. I think it means more playing time for Pasher and they call in another defensive player

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

The 2000 Gold Cup was in February.  How were the 2000 Euros later in June a lead in to it?  I'm not sure what you mean here.

This is messed up? I remember that day like it was yesterday watching in my newly purchased home with no furniture, just a TV against the wall. Except I didn't purchase the house until May 2000. It was definitely before the Euro's but I could have sworn it was a May/June tournament. My mind must have melded it together with the Euro that year. It sucks getting old!!!

For me this changes our chances of making the semis or finals but it doesn’t impact our WCQ prep.  We know what Davies offers us so this will be a chance for others to stake a claim and for us to work on team cohesion and familiarity.  The defence will still get a chance to gel, we will still work on tactics and formation, and 9 of our probable WQQ starting 11 will continue to develop the familiarity that we will need in September. 

Maybe I am just trying to rationalize the situation to avoid rocking back and forth in the fetal position but the show must go on.  

I am pretty frustrated -- if the 352 is to be a primary formation for us in WCQ, we still need more time with it, and time against better teams. Davies is integral to that (and to any system, of course) so it would have been great to have him out there. Without him, even if we keep the same shape, what we do changes completely because no one else can do what Davies does.

Like many of you I will try and find some positives. This may make us less reliant on Davies, and give us experience without him in case he has to miss any WCQ matches. It also lets some other guys potentially shine.

I hope this encourages them to not play 5 at the back anymore moving forward. We have a group of young wingers coming up and I think it's a mistake putting out a formation that won't use any. Time to settle on a formation that uses it imo.

10 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I hope this encourages them to not play 5 at the back anymore moving forward. We have a group of young wingers coming up and I think it's a mistake putting out a formation that won't use any. Time to settle on a formation that uses it imo.

I am not sure that JH will ever truly 'settle' on a formation, he has said before that the way he likes to analyze and prepare for matches is very match/opponent dependent, and he can't see himself working for a club because there isn't enough time to prep for matches. We have seen him play a 4-3-3, 4-Box-2, 5-4-1, and now 3-5-2. I like that he gives himself options, but some stability is needed for sure. As long as the guys are prepped well and put in a position to succeed, I am happy.

37 minutes ago, johnyb said:

This is messed up? I remember that day like it was yesterday watching in my newly purchased home with no furniture, just a TV against the wall. Except I didn't purchase the house until May 2000. It was definitely before the Euro's but I could have sworn it was a May/June tournament. My mind must have melded it together with the Euro that year. It sucks getting old!!!

I remember it was in ski season because I recorded the Mexico match on my VHS, I didn't give us much of a chance in that one so I figured I would watch the inevitable loss later after a day of skiing in Dundas Valley, what a surprise when we got the Golden Goal!

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't recall him getting injured. He had an injury 2 or 3 games though and bounced back.

He was subbed off in the last match and was seen getting treatment. I remember even the commentators bringing it up.

13 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

He was subbed off in the last match and was seen getting treatment. I remember even the commentators bringing it up.

Yeah the ice pack right? Might be enough to keep him out, might not.