Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

9 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Wheeler reporting it as an ankle sprain, doesn’t seem super serious 

So Herdman didn't let anything slip in his OneSoccer interview since the injury happened Tuesday. Maybe it was the same ankle being injured that prompted Davies going back to Bayern.

Guatemala replacing Curacao is confirmed by Platt. Match will be played Sunday at TBD time. Wonder if anti-vaxxer Eloy Room got infected. 

My fears have come true, but I am relieved to hear that its just a sprain.   It was a good move to now exclude him from the gold cup because if its just a sprain, it means that he should be ready for the September window game.  The important games for canadian soccer.   

Last week, another thread, i stated that Davies (Davies only) should not be called for this event.  Precisely for this reason.  I made my case so i wont restate my arguments.  But there is one key point i left out, its that the clubs (unlike national teams) have better and greater resources and staff and environements to mitigate the risk of injuries.  Players are their assests.  This is the point noted by @Unnamed Trialist and that i was going to counter with to those who said that he could get injured anywhere and anytime.   In short, the fact that they have to send him back to BM to have the staff look at him,  is perfect reason for why he should never have been called up for this event.

41 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Why would he call another right back to replace a left sided player?

Others have already responded but I should stress I would prefer Gutierrez, especially as the longer we go without playing him the more retroactively miffed I become that we held him off the Olympic team so that we could not play him in WCQ or the Gold Cup. I think ZBG is in good form and can play in a back four or in a 3-5-2 and I'd rather he get called over Teibert (if that's the best left footed option available, unless you're thinking of Bassong is the best choice).

Now watch as Herdman will probably pick JMR or Okello or someone that a club team isn't using very much.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

My fears have come true, but I am relieved to hear that its just a sprain.   It was a good move to now exclude him from the gold cup because if its just a sprain, it means that he should be ready for the September window game.  The important games for canadian soccer.   

Last week, another thread, i stated that Davies (Davies only) should not be called for this event.  Precisely for this reason.  I made my case so i wont restate my arguments.  But there is one key point i left out, its that the clubs (unlike national teams) have better and greater resources and staff and environements to mitigate the risk of injuries.  Players are their assests.  This is the point noted by @Unnamed Trialist and that i was going to counter with to those who said that he could get injured anywhere and anytime.   In short, the fact that they have to send him back to BM to have the staff look at him,  is perfect reason for why he should never have been called up for this event.

Yes, we all would have preferred he be injured training for Bayern instead. Come on now. As was stated by the pro-Davies Gold Cup camp this could have happened anywhere any time. This has nothing to do with him being called to this tournament. 

This isn’t a time to feel vindicated if you didn’t want him called. This doesn’t prove you’re right ... he was injured in training. Bayern don’t have a magical staff to prevent that. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I had one of those anticipatory nightmare fantasy where he was stupidly injured in the GC and missed part of WCQ, so I am just going to say "I told you so" before it happens.

The chances of it happening, with him or any of our other key players, is decent enough. I wish everyone would stop with this lame reasoning about how you can get injured training, which of course is true, true like the way pigs fly if you stick wings on them and toss them off cliffs. A rival in a competitive match presents a much higher risk than a teammate in a loose scrimmage. And then the stress of these matches, then a short preseason and right into Bundesliga, then WCQ, then Champions the same month. It's a shit show and we are going to pay for it.

B6ACC54A-26AB-4C7A-A531-B979059296B9.jpeg.5b90575d05acc330d51e5a9c46329c32.jpeg

Anyone else gazing into the sky with the hope of seeing a pig with taped on wings flying by?

Nothing personal UT, but this quote just had to be revisited. 🤣

For me, I just want Canada to do well and get into the World Cup. I don’t want Davies hurt and I want him to recover fast! He’s the man ! I was just worry about some asshole doing an cheap shot tackle and he’s get hurt. CONCACAF refs are Just awful ! The BS phonzie had to deal with vs Haiti was unacceptable!   

I am excited to see Corbeanu and Hoilett just go off ! 

I’d like to see something like this: 

Larin—-Cav—-Tajon 

Kaye—Eustaquio—Osorio 

Laryea—Kennedy—Victoria—Johnston

————crepeau————-

You have Larin that likes to cut in / play between the lines on the left and Laryea who will be hungry to get forward on the overlap.

Tajon stays more in the channel or is used with a quick switch of play to isolate the opposing fullback. Johnston provides cover and is stay-at-home in most circumstances.

Cav as the reference point up top. Swap Cav for Akinola and Pasher for one of the other forwards at 65. Tell everyone to go hard and keep hammering away at the opposition. 

Also would like to see us play with some midfield setups to find the group that has the best chemistry. Maybe Paton can surprise as a late game sub, although that probably means a formation change.

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

I’d like to see something like this: 

Larin—-Cav—-Tajon 

Kaye—Eustaquio—Osorio 

Laryea—Kennedy—Victoria—Johnston

————crepeau————-

I like the look of this lineup alot. However, I doubt Herdman is going to go against his new formation last minute because 1 guy goes leaves. Also, with Kennedy playing in Germany yesterday no way he starts. I expect to see.

Larin-Cav

Kaye-Eustaquio-Osorio

Laryea-Miller-Vitoria-Johnston-Buchanan

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Larin was already listed in the original 23-man squad:

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-2021-concacaf-gold-cup-roster/

He can't "replace" Davies.

Face Palm GIF by Captain Obvious

I thought that they could pick players out of the provisional squad to replace Davies but I had no idea Larin wasn't a part of the Final 23 man squad. Oversight that I made. I apologize. But since he is, then I'm sure that Herdman can pick any of the players who were not named into the Final squad to replace Davies at the last minute.

22 hours ago, ag futbol said:

But otherwise, I sort of roll my eyes at hosting this thing every 2 years and pretty much always having it on US soil.

That's an understatement.

image.thumb.png.16cf7ddb29609d15ade296101ff258f1.png

image.png.1df710397ad29d76cee8d7d7dfd4ac99.png

In the history of the tournament there have been 15 group stage games and 6 knockout round games hosted by other countries. Although apparently 1993 had more games hosted in Mexico than USA, I didn't realize that. Every other tournament has been majority hosted by USA.

16 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I’m curious how this is justified beyond $$$$ made for concacaf via fans.

https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/article/concacaf-statement-curacao-delegation-at-2021-gold-cup/

"The next highest ranked team from the Gold Cup Preliminary Round (Prelims) is Guatemala. This is based on performance on the field (wins, draws and goal difference) in the Prelims matches played at DRV PNK Stadium in South Florida from July 2 to 6. On this basis and per the Gold Cup regulations, the Concacaf Council has unanimously approved an emergency proposal for Guatemala to replace Curaçao in Group A."

Interestingly, the results are tricky. When I first saw "highest ranked team from the prelims" mentioned (before reading the article) I thought it was based on CONCACAF Ranking. But they say it's based on their results in the prelims. Bermuda had the same goal difference as Guatemala, however Guatemala were eliminated in a shoot out. Shoot outs are often (for ranking purposes) considered more like a draw than a win/loss. So perhaps Guatemala are being considered to have 4 points (3 for their win in the first round, and 1 for the draw). The tricky thing is that French Guiana also would have 4 points. Guatemala won their first round game 4-0, and French Guiana were awarded a 3-0 win because Cuba couldn't make it into the country. So they had no chance to better that 4-0 result. It's all so confusing and it's a real shame Curacao can't play.