The Road to Qatar.

Binky

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Poll: if we lose to Sweden in Qatar like we did today in hockey, will you be more pissed off by the result, less, or the same?

I know my answer.

More Pissed off

PS.:  i didnt even know we lost to Sweden today in hockey.  until  you mentioned it.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Poll: if we lose to Sweden in Qatar like we did today in hockey, will you be more pissed off by the result, less, or the same?

I know my answer.

On a soccer board focused on soccer in this country I think we know the answer. If it had been a best on best tournament in Beijing, I think a lot of people would have been pissed if we lost to Sweden in the quarters, but the expectation there would be gold or bust. It’s all relative, as expectations in winning World Cup are next to zero.  Maybe a would you be pissed if we didn’t get out of the group stage would be a better comparison?

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know my answer.

I think I'd be more pissed off if Jennifer Jones lost to Sweden in the semi finals than this men's hockey team. That being said 1000x more SAD if Canada lost to Sweden in Qatar. 

Mexico are:

- looking to play a friendly against Venezuela in Orlando at the end of April

- very close to a deal for a friendly against either Brazil or Argentina ( June? )

- looking to have more friendlies at the end of August, possibly in Europe

https://www.tudn.mx/aqui-esta-el-tri/mexico-cerca-de-amarrar-amistosos-contra-argentina-y-brasil-rumbo-a-qatar-2022

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

April 1st is a Friday.  That's disappointing because this will mean that the draw will be held on a workday, not on a weekend.   And in the North American time zones it will likely mean that its on in the morning or afternoon.   😒

I seem to recall that past worlds cup, we were always able to watch the draw in the daytime and we were always home from work (i.e.: on a weekend).

Edited by Free kick

If any one has BEIN sport they have a weekly show called  The Road To Qatar  I believe. In this show they  show the venues  were the the matches will be played plus they also show a very different side of Qatar and to be honest it really opened my eyes and has given me a different perspective on that land . Sure I still think there was coruption in obtaining that bid, 

Canada Soccer Fan for over 40 years.

I also cheer for

AC Fiorentina

Toronto FC 

Guelph United

17 hours ago, vancanman said:

Canada’s World Cup qualifying winning streak thanks to Newfoundland soccer souvenir?

I'm sorry if this has been posted somewhere already.  

Beautiful story and the kind of mainstream stuff we haven't had in a long time. Success does that.

23 hours ago, Free kick said:

April 1st is a Friday.  That's disappointing because this will mean that the draw will be held on a workday, not on a weekend.   And in the North American time zones it will likely mean that its on in the morning or afternoon.   😒

I seem to recall that past worlds cup, we were always able to watch the draw in the daytime and we were always home from work (i.e.: on a weekend).

Most recents have been on weekdays. Russia, Brasil, South Africa & Germany draws were held on Fridays or Tuesday.

If they did it on weekends, it would be competing against all the league action happening in Europe. 

On 2/19/2022 at 2:14 AM, gigi riva said:

If any one has BEIN sport they have a weekly show called  The Road To Qatar  I believe. In this show they  show the venues  were the the matches will be played plus they also show a very different side of Qatar and to be honest it really opened my eyes and has given me a different perspective on that land . Sure I still think there was coruption in obtaining that bid, 

Perhaps. 

There is no doubt there are always two sides to any story, including the corruption side of things with the awarding of the world cup.  There are two sides to also the stories of working conditions for stadium builders (workers) such as the culpability of personnel agencies in foreign countries and their role in the deaths.  Even the number of deaths is open to debate.

However, its worth pointing out that BEIN Sports (formerly Al; Jazeera) is a Qatari owned Sports TV chain. so we also have to keep this in mind.    

Edited by Free kick

With all the sanctions coming down, UEFA removing the champions league final from Moscow, would FIFA consider disqualifying Russia from qualifying/the World Cup? 
Conversely, if they don’t, would NATO countries not allow their own teams to go? I’m not trying to open Pandora’s box here about the political aspect (I assume almost everyone would be in agreement here as to who is in the wrong) but this has the possibility to get really messy  

Edit..apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere 

Edited by EJsens1

6 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

With all the sanctions coming down, UEFA removing the champions league final from Moscow, would FIFA consider disqualifying Russia from qualifying/the World Cup? 
Conversely, if they don’t, would NATO countries not allow their own teams to go? I’m not trying to open Pandora’s box here about the political aspect (I assume almost everyone would be in agreement here as to who is in the wrong) but this has the possibility to get really messy  

Edit..apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere 

What has happened in previous tournaments when a country has been at war?  

I don't think that FIFA will do anything.  As for NATO countries, I don't think they will do anything either because the tournament is not being hosted by Russia.

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

What has happened in previous tournaments when a country has been at war?  

I don't think that FIFA will do anything.  As for NATO countries, I don't think they will do anything either because the tournament is not being hosted by Russia.

FiFA literally forced us to travel to Haiti last June. That never should have happened. 

The 3 nations drawn in Russia's playoff group have issued a statement that they refuse to travel to Russia.

• Admin locked this topic