The Road to Qatar.

Binky

... and now the Polish Federation is refusing to play Russia at all. Even a quote from Lewy:

"It is the right decision! I can't imagine playing a match with the Russian National Team in a situation when armed aggression in Ukraine continues. Russian footballers and fans are not responsible for this, but we can't pretend that nothing is happening."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4603139/poland-refuse-to-play-russia-in-2022-world-cup-playoff-game?platform=amp

Edited by goleafs67

41 minutes ago, pod818 said:

What about Ukraine? How will they field a team to play Scotland next month?

Will they still have a county next month?

46 minutes ago, goleafs67 said:

... and now the Polish Federation is refusing to play Russia at all. Even a quote from Lewy:

"It is the right decision! I can't imagine playing a match with the Russian National Team in a situation when armed aggression in Ukraine continues. Russian footballers and fans are not responsible for this, but we can't pretend that nothing is happening."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4603139/poland-refuse-to-play-russia-in-2022-world-cup-playoff-game?platform=amp

The right decision indeed.

18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's too early to tell but probably not.

Think that's up to Sweden and/or Czech Republic now.  If one or the other also declare they'll refuse to play Russia when their turn arrives do you think UEFA will allow FIFA to send Russia to the Finals by default?  Somehow I doubt it.  

Can just imagine the pressure smashing down on the Swedish and Czech federations right now.  Can just imagine the panic going through UEFA HQ right now.

Tip of the hat to the Polish federation for taking that stand and as much as daring others not to.  

Just now, Cheeta said:

Think that's up to Sweden and/or Czech Republic now.  If one or the other also declare they'll refuse to play Russia when their turn arrives do you think UEFA will allow FIFA to send Russia to the Finals by default?  Somehow I doubt it.  

Can just imagine the pressure smashing down on the Swedish and Czech federations right now.  Can just imagine the panic going through UEFA HQ right now.

Tip of the hat to the Polish federation for taking that stand and as much as daring others not to.  

I believe that the Czechs and Sweden already said that that they wont go to Russia.  Uefa took a strong stance, FiFA not so much.   Infantino was pretty timid.  Infantino didnt even mention by name Ukraine he just said "People affected by this conflict".  

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

This Is FIFA's decision. Not UEFA's.

Infantino is tight with Putin.

My prediction is the game is moved to a neutral site and Poland eventually backs down.

Doubt FIFA is going to get into a pissing match with UEFA over Russia 9 month from a Finals that they never wanted in the winter in the 1st place.   Path of least resistance.  

You really think Poland is going to back down?  I suppose it could happen.  But the match is four weeks away and all the really, really, good broadcasts from Ukraine will start hitting the airwaves this weekend so I doubt it.  But sure, anything is possible.    

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

... and Sweden now joins Poland in refusing to play Russia. All the pressure on the Czechs now

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

UEFA haven't booted Spartak Moscow out of the Europa League yet so not sure where people are getting the idea that there's a huge difference between UEFA and FIFA on this.

A club does not represent a country nor is funded by a country. A national team does and is.

You should be able to see the difference. 

In any case, nothing more assinine than reducing a war to a sports discussion, I feel stupid to even be posting this.

When South Africa was booted out of international sports competition as a pariah state for political reasons it applied to both clubs and national teams. Looks like most of the rest of Europe is going to close their airspace to Russian planes and Russia is going to reciprocate so the logistics of playing games against a Russian opponent in a UEFA context are soon going to be very awkward regardless.

If Russia is booted from WC, then who replaced them ?  Slovakia who finished 3rd in Group H ?  Or Hungary - Highest UNL Group Winner ?   Or Poland gets a bye and plays at home vs. Sweden / Czech winner ?

Similarity, if Ukraine is unable to play, then who replace them ?  Finland who finished 3rd in Group  D ? Or Or Hungary - Highest UNL Group Winner ?  Or Scotland gets a bye and plays away vs. Wales / Austria winner ?

If both teams are unable to play, what then ?  It gets very messy which UEFA and FIFA needs to work it out. 

1 hour ago, Jedi Ram said:

If Russia is booted from WC, then who replaced them ?  Slovakia who finished 3rd in Group H ?  Or Hungary - Highest UNL Group Winner ?   Or Poland gets a bye and plays at home vs. Sweden / Czech winner ?

Similarity, if Ukraine is unable to play, then who replace them ?  Finland who finished 3rd in Group  D ? Or Or Hungary - Highest UNL Group Winner ?  Or Scotland gets a bye and plays away vs. Wales / Austria winner ?

If both teams are unable to play, what then ?  It gets very messy which UEFA and FIFA needs to work it out. 

I am pretty sure Ukraine will play but they just may need to play their home match at a neutral site like Syria was doing and others have as well.  Didn’t Iraq qualify playing all their home matches at neutral sites?

World Heavyweight champion Alexander Usyk has announced he's gone to the country to fight. Just to give an example of the mentality. And he's got like a 20 million dollar payday on the table for a fight in May. I wouldn't suspect Ukraine will field a team 

Edited by SpursFlu

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

When South Africa was booted out of international sports competition as a pariah state for political reasons it applied to both clubs and national teams. Looks like most of the rest of Europe is going to close their airspace to Russian planes and Russia is going to reciprocate so the logistics of playing games against a Russian opponent in a UEFA context are soon going to be very awkward regardless.

What clubs? 

First of all, the sanctions against South Africa took a long time to implement, were always partial, there was no unanimity, and if you look at the question of clubs it was negligible.

Have fun looking for the club references, because they are not significant (wow, in African club competitions in the 80s). And some of their clubs doing friendly tours, like church choirs.

Regardless, we've let Syria have teams in FIFA competitions, when they've murdered their own population with the Russians openly boasting of how they used Syria to test weaponry, including firebombs. Russia was aiding the bombing of Syrian government civilian objectives as recently as last month. So Syria can represent their flag and their dictator, and no one seems at all bothered by this.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What clubs? 

First of all, the sanctions against South Africa took a long time to implement, were always partial, there was no unanimity, and if you look at the question of clubs it was negligible.

Have fun looking for the club references, because they are not significant (wow, in African club competitions in the 80s). And some of their clubs doing friendly tours, like church choirs.

Regardless, we've let Syria have teams in FIFA competitions, when they've murdered their own population with the Russians openly boasting of how they used Syria to test weaponry, including firebombs. Russia was aiding the bombing of Syrian government civilian objectives as recently as last month. So Syria can represent their flag and their dictator, and no one seems at all bothered by this.

The difference is that Syria is not unprovoked invading its neighbour.  

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A club does not represent a country nor is funded by a country. A national team does and is.

You should be able to see the difference. 

In any case, nothing more assinine than reducing a war to a sports discussion, I feel stupid to even be posting this.

How is this an asinine discussion? Nobody is downplaying the war or mocking it.  It’s a legitimate debate within the context of World Cup qualifying. The fact other federations are coming out with their positions only reinforces it even further. 

4 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

How is this an asinine discussion? Nobody is downplaying the war or mocking it.  It’s a legitimate debate within the context of World Cup qualifying. The fact other federations are coming out with their positions only reinforces it even further. 

If you don't get it, you don't get it. But I agree in the end: Nero had every right to fiddle when he felt like fiddling, after all, it was just music, and everyone loves to watch a nice fire with a soundtrack. 

• Admin locked this topic