The Road to Qatar.

Binky

16 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I see some ppl assuming that CRC will be a hostile evironment to visiting team in the same way that other central american countries are.  Its not.  Costa Rica is quite different from Panama, Hon and ES.   There shouldnt be too much difference between playing in the US or Mexico and playing in CRC.   I could be wrong but i dont even think that they have steel fences around the pitch in CRC.   It will be a large and supportive crowd, of course.  But not a dangerous crowd.

I'm more worried about Navas stoning us and the game ends 0-0.

But that may be enough to qualify us that day anyways.

Costa Rica are one of the lowest scoring teams in the Octagonal too.

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm more worried about Navas stoning us and the game ends 0-0.

But that may be enough to qualify us that day anyways.

Costa Rica are one of the lowest scoring teams in the Octagonal too.

I swear that even a draw is enough for us to qualify because it would give us 26 points heading into the Jamaica match at home

14 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

I legitimately think we would win Afcon. The level of play in every game I’ve watched has been so bad.

I was thinking about this actually. Skill-wise, I think we'd have a good shot against any country. I don't know how we would fare against the physicality of a Senegal or a Cameroon though

20 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

I legitimately think we would win Afcon. The level of play in every game I’ve watched has been so bad.

They’d go far…I also think Canada could take on any qualified team from Asia.   The AFCON tourney has been poor, which is disappointing given some of the talent there.  In addition to the mediocre play (lots of low blocks, play not to concede tactics), you see half full stadiums, some empty, and fans died in a stampede outside a stadium.  

21 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I was thinking about this actually. Skill-wise, I think we'd have a good shot against any country. I don't know how we would fare against the physicality of a Senegal or a Cameroon though

Especially if Canada gets an African team in its group, I wonder if Canada will be able to keep up?

46 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

I hope the Mexico-USA game ends up being played before ours. I really want to know that result before our match.

Our match will likely be at 8 EST so unless the play during the day in Mexico City (is that allowed?) its unlikely.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, Approve My Account Pls said:

A good shot against any CAF country is a good way of putting it. After watching more than a few replay matches over the last month...I don't think Canada could dominate, by any means.  Domination would require the same type of combination of ability, determination, timing and luck we have seen so far in qualifying.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Especially if Canada gets an African team in its group, I wonder if Canada will be able to keep up?

At some point, maybe some of the posters with significant CAF knowledge will chime in with some comparisons, different countries as they compare to Canada and other CONCACAF nations we are more familiar with?  There's more than a few I have seen posting here.

Not at all likely to happen at all but also wanted to note that Costa Rica can still catch us. If they win out and we lose out (again... not likely).

under that scenario, Costa Rica would have at worst a GD of 4 and we would have at best 11. They would need to find 7 more (and of course goals against us would be a double whammy) 

I was hoping we’d clinch top 4 this window but we’re talking about the luxuries of luxury being able to guarantee a spot so early. 

14 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Not at all likely to happen at all but also wanted to note that Costa Rica can still catch us. If they win out and we lose out (again... not likely).

under that scenario, Costa Rica would have at worst a GD of 4 and we would have at best 11. They would need to find 7 more (and of course goals against us would be a double whammy) 

I was hoping we’d clinch top 4 this window but we’re talking about the luxuries of luxury being able to guarantee a spot so early. 

You are right about CRC catching us, but if they did that would also result in the USA or PAN not catching us at the same time. So we have actually clinched at least 4th already. 

37 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Does anyone have a spreadsheet or link to player stats for Canada from the Octo? Minutes, cards, etc.? 

Go here:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/75629-general-discussion-on-cmnt/page/165/

A list was kindly made by @Stryker911 :)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks!
there seems to be one goal i cant account for on that list.   The list says we scored 17 goals when the official stats say 19.   There was an own goal we earned against Panama in the home leg.  But where is the other goal?

edit:  nevermind.  I forgot the own OG versus Honduras

Edited by Free kick

On 2/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, Approve My Account Pls said:

I was thinking about this actually. Skill-wise, I think we'd have a good shot against any country. 

As a bit of a Japan fan, I would say we definitely have more physical/athletic ability than they do.   However, from a skills/tactics point of view, teams like Japan and South Korea are more than a match for us.  Their passing/interplay is next level.  

Canada if we win our last 3 qualifiers against Costa Rica, Jamaica and Panama and we go undefeated in qualifying, I wonder if our world ranking we would move into the top 20 as far as top 20 in the world? We would have to especially if we finish unbeaten in qualifying without losing a game in qualifying.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada if we win our last 3 qualifiers against Costa Rica, Jamaica and Panama and we go undefeated in qualifying, I wonder if our world ranking we would move into the top 20 as far as top 20 in the world? We would have to especially if we finish unbeaten in qualifying without losing a game in qualifying.

No, we will not make it to the top 20 if we win our next 3 games. If we win our next 3 games we will get about 31 points, which would get us up to about 1528 points. Poland at the moment is in 28th spot with 1530 points. Wales in 20th has 1578 points. So we might make it into the top 30, depending on what other teams do, but definitely not top 20.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

No, we will not make it to the top 20 if we win our next 3 games. If we win our next 3 games we will get about 31 points, which would get us up to about 1528 points. Poland at the moment is in 28th spot with 1530 points. Wales in 20th has 1578 points. So we might make it into the top 30, depending on what other teams do, but definitely not top 20.

So if we win our next 3, we could end up 29th in the world could you imagine? Definitely we would have a case for Pot 3

• Admin locked this topic