The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, pod818 said:

I'm envisioning a scenario in the last game against Panama. If we win, we end up in Pot 3 by improving Fifa ranking. If we lose, we knock the US down to 4th place and they need to go into the interconfederation playoff, thus putting us in Pot 3. Which would you choose?

I would like nothing better than to go to Wellington to watch Pusilic cry in person. 

2 hours ago, pod818 said:

I'm envisioning a scenario in the last game against Panama. If we win, we end up in Pot 3 by improving Fifa ranking. If we lose, we knock the US down to 4th place and they need to go into the interconfederation playoff, thus putting us in Pot 3. Which would you choose?

That’s a tough one but would take the 3 points to be in Pot 3. But it would be a nice consolation prize  

I know everyone is celebrating already but I am still not fully exhaling.  Call it PTSD, but until we are mathematically clinched for a top 3 spot, I won’t allow myself to completely relax.  We will go down to CR who will be playing absolutely desperate and using every trick in the book.  I think any result could happen in that one.  The Jamaica game is the one that should be safe points since they are already eliminated and will likely be without their big guns.  I can definitely see a scenario where that is the one that officially clinched things.  And then away to Panama - another game that could be really tough if they are still in contention (and I assume they will be under most plausible scenarios). Bottom line for me is that I am not assuming anything.

I get it.  We should definitely be in based on what we have seen.  And by all accounts, we are.  But I have been burned too many times to unclench my sphincter until we are mathematically certain of qualification.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know everyone is celebrating already but I am still not fully exhaling.  Call it PTSD, but until we are mathematically clinched for a top 3 spot, I won’t allow myself to completely relax.  We will go down to CR who will be playing absolutely desperate and using every trick in the book.  I think any result could happen in that one.  The Jamaica game is the one that should be safe points since they are already eliminated and will likely be without their big guns.  I can definitely see a scenario where that is the one that officially clinched things.  And then away to Panama - another game that could be really tough if they are still in contention (and I assume they will be under most plausible scenarios). Bottom line for me is that I am not assuming anything.

I get it.  We should definitely be in based on what we have seen.  And by all accounts, we are.  But I have been burned too many times to unclench my sphincter until we are mathematically certain of qualification.  

The only way we don't qualify now is if we have a 0 point window and Panama has a 9 point window. 

And we would still get a shot at New Zealand or some other OFC scrub.

We are in.

This team is too good and too focused to slip

Im having a tough time. 

The jubilation stemming from our campaign has been nearly as flawless as the campaign itself.  The one exception is the uncomfortable reality that this world cup is in an expensive, inaccessible and unpredictable location that I would otherwise never visit. 

For 30 years Canada supporters got used to having something always go wrong. it's remarkable that in the locker room, on the field, and on the scoreboard, in the media, nothing has. The irony of course is that the prize at the end for supporters is still the worst possible place (and time) to go see a world cup. If this thing were in Germany or Belgium or Italy this forum would break. 

Ive heard no fewer than 30 people make the same point this weekend. It just breaks my heart to see so many die hards giving up the idea of travelling when I couldn't fathom the idea of any of them missing a world cup. Seeing a full compliment of these boards in person would be literally the greatest. Especially pints with the people with whom i disagree. 

Anyway, that's my venting. I'm over the moon for our country and the next generation of players whose lives will be changed and benefit from all that's been, but it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth for the here and now. 

Edited by Califax

4 minutes ago, Califax said:

Im having a tough time. 

The jubilation stemming from our campaign has been nearly as flawless as the campaign itself.  The one exception is the uncomfortable reality that this world cup is in an expensive, inaccessible and unpredictable location that I would otherwise never visit. 

For 30 years Canada supporters got used to having something always go wrong. it's remarkable that in the locker room, on the field, and on the scoreboard, in the media, nothing has. The irony of course is that the prize at the end for supporters is still the worst possible place (and time) to go see a world cup. If this thing were in Germany or Belgium or Italy this forum would break. 

Ive heard no fewer than 30 people make the same point this weekend. It just breaks my heart to see so many die hards giving up the idea of travelling when I couldn't fathom the idea of any of them missing a world cup. Seeing a full compliment of these boards in person would be literally the greatest. Especially pints with the people with whom i disagree. 

Anyway, that's my venting. I'm over the moon for our country and the next generation of players whose lives will be changed and benefit from all that's been, but it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth for the here and now. 

20 years ago if you told me Canada made the World Cup and I had no plans to travel to watch it live i would call you a liar.

I would be much more worried with the US schedule than ours.

They play Mexico away, Panama at home, Costa Rica away.

If you go through all the scenarios, it is far more nail-biting for the next four teams than for us. Anyone of them could be pushed into a fourth spot or even out. And their competitive spirit, taking points off each other, will most likely give us the qualification, regardless of our results.

Even if Costa Rica beat us, which they could, that puts them in the mix and they could be playing for the fourth spot final day home to the US. 

3 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

As long as we keep filing the stadiums at home, we are doing our part. I understand the sentiment from Califax but, hey, guess what? The next World Cup is in a country close by that shares our values. 

Ya. I'm sad I won't be going to Qatar but I will be even sadder when I don't watch Canada play in my home city because the tickets will cost $1000+.

18 minutes ago, Califax said:

For me, it's the journey not the destination.

I can't believe how many moments we have got to experience this cycle... I'm so happy for that.  

I've also had so many great V's memories at pubs in Toronto for GC games and WCQers, I'm honestly happy to do it again.

Hopefully something like that can happen out east for you, if you don't go.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would be much more worried with the US schedule than ours.

They play Mexico away, Panama at home, Costa Rica away.

If you go through all the scenarios, it is far more nail-biting for the next four teams than for us. Anyone of them could be pushed into a fourth spot or even out. And their competitive spirit, taking points off each other, will most likely give us the qualification, regardless of our results.

Even if Costa Rica beat us, which they could, that puts them in the mix and they could be playing for the fourth spot final day home to the US. 

I think too many things would have to happen even if we lose all three games for us not to at least finish third . We almost have a better chance of winning the lottery than Canada not finishing at least third , it’s not mathematically done but it’s basically done.

5 minutes ago, Califax said:

Here's the kicker, for a while I had my heart set on some amazing outdoor big screen summer viewing parties.

I was thinking about that too. Hopefully it will take a bit of World Juniors feel where there's not that much going on any way and you can plan your whole day around the matches. And the time difference isn't too bad. I think only 11 hours for us in PST.

1 hour ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

How is that possible I thought they own the broadcast?

Perhaps the match was produced by the Salvadoran network and the highlights were not part of the rights One Soccer purchased to televise the game in Canada?

I see some ppl assuming that CRC will be a hostile evironment to visiting team in the same way that other central american countries are.  Its not.  Costa Rica is quite different from Panama, Hon and ES.   There shouldnt be too much difference between playing in the US or Mexico and playing in CRC.   I could be wrong but i dont even think that they have steel fences around the pitch in CRC.   It will be a large and supportive crowd, of course.  But not a dangerous crowd.

Edited by Free kick

• Admin locked this topic