Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

38 minutes ago, frmr said:

It's a general statement. I'm not saying Buchanan hasn't been given praise or hasn't been hyped at all. I'm just saying generally speaking, American players are overhyped, and Canadian players are underrated. It's just the way that it is. Of course you can find exceptions to this, and I'm not saying you can't.

Canadian players are definitely underrated, but Americans are only overhyped in relation to Canadian and Mexican players. Some of that has to do with American media. In Mexico it’s that Liga MX overvalues their players and don’t sell often. In Canada until recently they weren’t qualifying for major tournaments and didn’t have a top tier of their own to showcase talent. Both Americans and Canadians still have to deal with the ‘eurosnob’ attitude that we don’t understand the technical or tactical sides of soccer but those walls are starting to come down.

3 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

He's playing with Venezia... They are terrible. They are basically a Serie B team - just a few points away from being relegated again. He has one goal and barely starts. Pecile is with Venezia and is also 19 and is barely on Canada's radar.

I think JMR already has a higher ceiling and brighter future than Busio and he's 2 years younger... He's on a much better trajectory than Busio... Busio will be back in MLS in a year.

He's on a better trajectory based on what?  

I haven't watched TFC as much as I used to. How good is he? What do you guys expect from him at a big club like LFC? Millar performed very well for the youth side but never really stood a chance cracking that first team lineup.

Would this be like a Davies prodigy type signing where he is actually expected to make the jump to the first team? Or are they signing a prospect that needs to develop more in the academy?

I really have no idea how good he is. Just speculation, but I would hate to see him back in a youth side when he could be playing with men TFC or a lower league. 

Any TFC experts here?

3 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I haven't watched TFC as much as I used to. How good is he? What do you guys expect from him at a big club like LFC? Millar performed very well for the youth side but never really stood a chance cracking that first team lineup.

Would this be like a Davies prodigy type signing where he is actually expected to make the jump to the first team? Or are they signing a prospect that needs to develop more in the academy?

I really have no idea how good he is. Just speculation, but I would hate to see him back in a youth side when he could be playing with men TFC or a lower league. 

Any TFC experts here?

Don't know if I would consider myself an expert, but here are my thoughts...

JMR is a promising young player. His decision making and overall maturity at a young age are his best strengths. His technique, ball control and dribbling are similar to Jayden Nelson, another young promising TFC player, but his game is more "make the right pass/play" than "taking players on", so he's not very direct and doesn't try and take players on. He's more ceribral and doesn't quite have the pace to take players on like that anyways. 

A lot will depend how JMR develops with Toronto next season, but at this point I would fully expect him to start on the fringes of the Liverpool first team, training with them regularly, and MAYBE getting into a cup match at some point throughout the season. Otherwise his real game time will come with the reserves. 

In short, don't expect him to make the Liverpool first team bench on day one, but expect him to be a first team player in the future. He's got tremendous potential. 

TFC played a number of young players this year and most of them played like teenagers learning the ropes in a men's league.  Priso showed the occasional glimpse of potential, but the rest did not show those flashes that screamed this kid needs more playing time.

With that being said, they are only teenagers and if I'm a betting man, I'm going to take Liverpool's youth structure over TFC's.  However, there are a tonne of players out there who go through these big clubs' youth programs and then find themselves toiling away in lesser leagues as adults.  I do recall at one time we had youth players at Liverpool, Barcelona, and Juventus all at the same time and currently only Millar is in the national team conversation.

So if this turns out to have some truth to it, great news for JMR.  However, I think he is still a long ways away from making our national team.  If he proves me wrong, fantastic.  And Liverpool looks great on a footballing resume.

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't know if I would consider myself an expert, but here are my thoughts...

JMR is a promising young player. His decision making and overall maturity at a young age are his best strengths. His technique, ball control and dribbling are similar to Jayden Nelson, another young promising TFC player, but his game is more "make the right pass/play" than "taking players on", so he's not very direct and doesn't try and take players on. He's more ceribral and doesn't quite have the pace to take players on like that anyways. 

A lot will depend how JMR develops with Toronto next season, but at this point I would fully expect him to start on the fringes of the Liverpool first team, training with them regularly, and MAYBE getting into a cup match at some point throughout the season. Otherwise his real game time will come with the reserves. 

In short, don't expect him to make the Liverpool first team bench on day one, but expect him to be a first team player in the future. He's got tremendous potential. 

I haven't watched a lot of JMR with TFC, but if he does sign for Liverpool, I'll be shocked if he's in training with the first team in the first six months. Unless he's Harvey Elliott good, and there are very few who are ever that good at 17-18 years old, he'd be going to play in the U18s and, hopefully, the occasional U23 appearance. That being said, Jurgen Klopp is one of the best elite managers in the world for giving young kids a shot, so if JMR were to perform on the field, he'd have opportunities to move up.

6 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I haven't watched a lot of JMR with TFC, but if he does sign for Liverpool, I'll be shocked if he's in training with the first team in the first six months. Unless he's Harvey Elliott good, and there are very few who are ever that good at 17-18 years old, he'd be going to play in the U18s and, hopefully, the occasional U23 appearance. That being said, Jurgen Klopp is one of the best elite managers in the world for giving young kids a shot, so if JMR were to perform on the field, he'd have opportunities to move up.

He's been training with the U23s during the trial right now. 

4 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

TFC played a number of young players this year and most of them played like teenagers learning the ropes in a men's league.  Priso showed the occasional glimpse of potential, but the rest did not show those flashes that screamed this kid needs more playing time.

With that being said, they are only teenagers and if I'm a betting man, I'm going to take Liverpool's youth structure over TFC's.  However, there are a tonne of players out there who go through these big clubs' youth programs and then find themselves toiling away in lesser leagues as adults.  I do recall at one time we had youth players at Liverpool, Barcelona, and Juventus all at the same time and currently only Millar is in the national team conversation.

So if this turns out to have some truth to it, great news for JMR.  However, I think he is still a long ways away from making our national team.  If he proves me wrong, fantastic.  And Liverpool looks great on a footballing resume.

I know it isn’t the focus of your post but I think this completely under-represents what Priso was doing prior to his injury.  He wasn’t gifted developmental minutes despite his play or just show occasional glimpses of potential - he earned a spot in the starting 11 and fully deserved the playing time he was consistently getting when the injury occurred.  At the time, he was playing the CDM better than Bradley.

I also think JMR was trending this way when he was given time at the end of the season.  He wasn’t a game-changer by any means but he was competent on the wing and didn’t look out of place at that level.  And for a 17 yr old, I will take that.  Agree that he isn’t near the national team and won’t (and shouldn’t) be anywhere near the first team of a team like Liverpool, but in MLS he was starting to look like he belonged.   And, again, that is pretty damn solid for a kid his age.  

Is it possible not to overhype a player while simultaneously not underrate him with high end potential?  I paid close attention to his play with TFC down the stretch.  Did he rip it up?  No but he was pretty good out there on team that had mailed it in.  What grabbed my attention was his attention to detail and positioning out there.  You can’t teach the way he was moving around and controlling the play off the ball.  Sometimes you look at a player and he just has ‘it’.  I think he’s a special player/talent who in a couple years will be right there as one of our best on a top club in Europe