Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

6 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Wild speculation, and it’s very hard to tell what JMR’s game is right now for the reasons others have mentioned, but I think central midfield might be the best role for him. 

The one thing that does come through in his game right now is awareness. He knows where he can find a little bit of extra time on the ball or where the open pass is when there’s a runner (although it’s not always executed flawlessly). Doesn’t strike me that he’ll exceptionally fast even after the growth spurt.

Cesc Fabregas (in some very downscaled way of course) comes to mind.

I agree that he prob ends up In central mid.  His skillset seems to be like a playmaker and I just don’t see the elements in his game that a modern winger needs .  

6 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

So how would it work?

Would TFC loan him to Liverpool for the winter until he turns 18 and then transfer him?

He can't move outside of Canada until his 18th birthday (and a transfer window has to be open), so it would actually be the reverse. He'd sign with Liverpool then be on loan at TFC until July.

It'd be similar to Davies' move to Bayern.

20 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Wild speculation, and it’s very hard to tell what JMR’s game is right now for the reasons others have mentioned, but I think central midfield might be the best role for him. 

The one thing that does come through in his game right now is awareness. He knows where he can find a little bit of extra time on the ball or where the open pass is when there’s a runner (although it’s not always executed flawlessly). Doesn’t strike me that he’ll exceptionally fast even after the growth spurt.

Cesc Fabregas (in some very downscaled way of course) comes to mind.

Of all the players who were shining at age 17 at the u17 WC, over the past 20 years, I think only Cesc and Phil Foden were ready to play with the men. Cesc was a huge natural talent, probably one of the best players of the century. Foden is a gift from the gods. Neither was, or even is, superb physically. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Of all the players who were shining at age 17 at the u17 WC, over the past 20 years, I think only Cesc and Phil Foden were ready to play with the men. Cesc was a huge natural talent, probably one of the best players of the century. Foden is a gift from the gods. Neither was, or even is, superb physically. 

harvey elliot won a starting spot on liverpool prior to the injury. 

29 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

harvey elliot won a starting spot on liverpool prior to the injury. 

I admit I haven't watched him enough, though I see fans rate him highly.

JMR has some physical development to go, especially when it comes to balance, sure-footedness. A lot of those clips he slips, he is off balance, he's rushed, or a tad late-- he still plays like a kid in many ways.

When you are still growing it could be a factor, but it is not about physical prowess, absolute speed or strength; it's more about doing what you can do best within your physical capacities, and not having to be out of control to do it. Like watching Foden when young: he looked slight and had a kid's face, but his body was in perfect harmony with what he wanted to do on the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So we now know with certainty that an offer was made. It’s very possible he signs and is loaned back to TFC for the season and that’s likely what makes the most sense. 

also I would think that Liverpool is his preferred destination, but it is just a comment on a story.

Like for the rest of the MLS season? He can't sign till July and it would be interesting if they have him stay with TFC until the end of 2022.

I suppose it depends on if TFC actually want him. If they have no plans for him then he should book it out of there ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So we now know with certainty that an offer was made. It’s very possible he signs and is loaned back to TFC for the season and that’s likely what makes the most sense. 

also I would think that Liverpool is his preferred destination, but it is just a comment on a story.

What makes me especially proud is how this younger generation are driven, they see that going to a top team is feasible, and have models and idols a couple years older than them doing it. I suppose, too, that they are asking their agents to step up as well.

Seeing ambition feed ambition is what gives me positive vibes about the future of our programme (for the women too, look at Fleming, Grosso or Huitema, what drive). I also think we are feeding off other sports, like tennis, we are getting this mentality of excellence infusing our soccer culture. This is important because we have had it only selectively in Canada, in hockey or swimming or rowing, or in limited demographics, but we are seeing it spread. 

Oddly, I don't think our growth in soccer has much at all to do with the government policy or even the CSA. And only partially with MLS. It has to do with clicking into global football culture I believe.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Like for the rest of the MLS season? He can't sign till July and it would be interesting if they have him stay with TFC until the end of 2022.

I suppose it depends on if TFC actually want him. If they have no plans for him then he should book it out of there ASAP.

I believe he can sign a pre-transfer though, which is basically a transfer that will be processed in July. Then Liverpool and TFC needs to talk about his development plan ETC.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What makes me especially proud is how this younger generation are driven, they see that going to a top team is feasible, and have models and idols a couple years older than them doing it. I suppose, too, that they are asking their agents to step up as well.

Seeing ambition feed ambition is what gives me positive vibes about the future of our programme (for the women too, look at Fleming, Grosso or Huitema, what drive). I also think we are feeding off other sports, like tennis, we are getting this mentality of excellence infusing our soccer culture. This is important because we have had it only selectively in Canada, in hockey or swimming or rowing, or in limited demographics, but we are seeing it spread. 

Oddly, I don't think our growth in soccer has much at all to do with the government policy or even the CSA. And only partially with MLS. It has to do with clicking into global football culture I believe.

Well Davies showed Canada it was possible, David that it wasn’t a fluke… we’re starting to reap the MLS benefits. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Montreal had Nesta, DiVaio, Drogba, Piatti and Corradi…. You’d better believe there’s a kid who wants to be like them who was at the games they played and will become a member of the club and go on to great things. Same in Toronto with Frings, Defoe and Giovinco…. And Vancouver with Davies. These caliber of young player will become the norm shortly.

I think of Austin Matthews as the example of what a pro sports team can do for the growth of the game. 

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Even if he isn’t, Liverpool could still apply for a tier 1 visa as an exceptional talent and would need to make the case why. 

IIRC, he still has to have certain amount of points (13?) for the club to make an official case for exceptional talent.  I'm not sure he even has that or can get that so quickly.

Edited by Footyeh

Just now, Footyeh said:

He still has to have certain amount of points (13?) for the club to make an official case for exceptional talent.  I'm not sure he even has that or can get that so quickly.

Doesn't top 50 ranking come into play to help with that? I have zero clue on these things but remember that it opened potential doors for Canadians.

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Doesn't top 50 ranking come into play to help with that? I have zero clue on these things but remember that it opened potential doors for Canadians.

It's the average ranking of your country from the last 24 months which still puts Canada low.  Plus he hasn't had enough national team minutes or club minutes.

You can find the criteria here. It is 27 pages. 

Points Based System - Rules & Regulations | The FA

This website gives a good summary -

New Work Permit Requirements For Players Moving To English Clubs Post-Brexit (worldfootballindex.com)

One thing they don't really bring up is the youth player status though, where they define a youth player as - a Player who is born on or after 1 January 2000

In the document in the first link above it states-

24. The Club may request that an Exceptions Panel consider the application if:
a. a Player achieves between 10 and 14 points in accordance with paragraphs 31-44 and the 
Club can evidence that exceptional circumstances prevented the Player from achieving 15 
points; or
b. If the Player is a Youth Player, the Club can evidence that the Youth Player shows significant 
potential and is of sufficient quality to enhance the development of the game in England.

I assume this would be strategy a team like Liverpool would use. I imagine the transfer fee that will be paid would have an impact showing the player has "significant" potential as well. 

Edit- also seems like youth players have their own set of criteria so that may apply as well. And as stated above, "youth" just means under the age of 21 at the date of the GBE application

Edited by canuckgbp

42 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

b. If the Player is a Youth Player, the Club can evidence that the Youth Player shows significant 
potential and is of sufficient quality to enhance the development of the game in England.

I assume this would be strategy a team like Liverpool would use. I imagine the transfer fee that will be paid would have an impact showing the player has "significant" potential as well. 

They would have a significant argument.  JMR did break Alphonso Davies’ record for youngest call up for Canada; he was there are numerous publications about him as one of the top prospects in the world and of course he was playing top flight soccer as a regular at 17.

He’s likely going to get a call up to Camp Poutine and his 2nd cap this month.

There’s no doubt he would qualify.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

They would have a significant argument.  JMR did break Alphonso Davies’ record for youngest call up for Canada; he was there are numerous publications about him as one of the top prospects in the world and of course he was playing top flight soccer as a regular at 17.

I mean, yes. But I’m sure the ultimate argument made behind closed doors here will be “we already missed out on Davies, this kid I has interest from every major club in Europe, give us the exception and piss off!” 

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

That's not how it works unfortunately.  There can be 1000 articles calling him the best player in Canada, but at the end of the day he doesn't meet the points to be argued as special exemption.  He would need to play all of Canada's coming matches which he won't.  If he plays 75-80% of TFC's matches this season, there's a possibility.

What Liverpool can do is sign him and loan him out similar to what they've done in the past with Alan, Taiwo etc. and hope that he achieves the requirements.

Edited by Footyeh