Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

39 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Is it possible not to overhype a player while simultaneously not underrate him with high end potential?  I paid close attention to his play with TFC down the stretch.  Did he rip it up?  No but he was pretty good out there on team that had mailed it in.  What grabbed my attention was his attention to detail and positioning out there.  You can’t teach the way he was moving around and controlling the play off the ball.  Sometimes you look at a player and he just has ‘it’.  I think he’s a special player/talent who in a couple years will be right there as one of our best on a top club in Europe  

He is 17 years old. The fact he played decently amongst men who've been playing all season speaks to his potential. If he was 23 putting in those performances there'd be nothing to write home about. I know some people haven't been that impressed, which I get, but it's all about the potential.

Here's the other thing - I know he's won't get a sniff at the Liverpool first team right away, but I believe he's the type of player who would quickly rise to the top of the Liverpool reserves. His maturity and decision making won't go unnoticed at a club like that.

If he is already "fitting in" as a 17 years old in MLS, he's going to more than fit in with the Liverpool reserves. I really don't think it would take long for him to find his way into first team training.

Liam Millar was training with the Liverpool first team at the age of 18/19, wasn't he?

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He is 17 years old. The fact he played decently amongst men who've been playing all season speaks to his potential. If he was 23 putting in those performances there'd be nothing to write home about. I know some people haven't been that impressed, which I get, but it's all about the potential.

Here's the other thing - I know he's won't get a sniff at the Liverpool first team right away, but I believe he's the type of player who would quickly rise to the top of the Liverpool reserves. His maturity and decision making won't go unnoticed at a club like that.

If he is already "fitting in" as a 17 years old in MLS, he's going to more than fit in with the Liverpool reserves. I really don't think it would take long for him to find his way into first team training.

Liam Millar was training with the Liverpool first team at the age of 18/19, wasn't he?

Some clubs buy young players for relatively cheap, don't put much work into them, and just wait to see if they turn into a bargain. Klopp's Liverpool don't operate that way. If they buy him, he'll get chances. He just has to earn his way through the ranks, though.

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Some clubs buy young players for relatively cheap, don't put much work into them, and just wait to see if they turn into a bargain. Klopp's Liverpool don't operate that way. If they buy him, he'll get chances. He just has to earn his way through the ranks, though.

Yeah somehow I had that impression. Buy the player and let him earn his way through the ranks. Liverpool don't seem to just buy whoever to see if they pan out, that's a Chelsea thing to do. 

Hope that JMR indeed signs with Liverpool. What an opportunity!  

For those who've had a chance to watch these young TFC prospects, how do you rate JMR versus Priso.  From what little I saw of Priso this year, I was damned impressed. Playing on a shite team in the middle of the park at his age, and holding his own! Pretty excited about this young player.  

41 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

For those who've had a chance to watch these young TFC prospects, how do you rate JMR versus Priso.  From what little I saw of Priso this year, I was damned impressed. Playing on a shite team in the middle of the park at his age, and holding his own! Pretty excited about this young player.  

JMR has good qualities but so far its been flashes. Even with TFC II he wasn't taking over games or imposing himself with skill and speed.

At the moment he is all hype. Tabla had done more with MTL before his move to Barcelona B.

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

They are different types of players.

Priso is 2002. Rutty is 2004.

Priso's play was very impressive overall. Rutty's play was simply "good".

Conventional wisdom says Rutty has the higher ceiling. Because Priso has had some excellent moments, people tend to overlook the turnovers. They are to be expected with young players, but Rutty doesn't turn the ball over. For sure he doesn't do anything outstanding, but consistently making the right decisions at 17 automatically make him a top prospect. This is why he's getting interest from big clubs. 

I think one of the major reasons he didn't look very impressive in his Toronto FC minutes is because his physical development.

When you look at Davies at that age, he looked and played like a grown adult at 17, while JMR looks and played like a kid. I think we will get to see what clubs/scouts are seeing once he grows into an adult physically. Very interested in how he looks at the U20 Camp.  

Alphonso Davies Completes Bayern Munich Transfer from MLS' Vancouver  Whitecaps | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Report: MLS Toronto FC Winger Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Training With  Liverpool After Arsenal Stint - Sports Illustrated Liverpool FC News,  Analysis, and More

Edited by Xavier.

1 hour ago, Xavier. said:

I think one of the major reasons he didn't look very impressive in his Toronto FC minutes is because his physical development.

When you look at Davies at that age, he looked and played like a grown adult at 17, while JMR looks and played like a kid. I think we will get to see what clubs/scouts are seeing once he grows into an adult physically. Very interested in how he looks at the U20 Camp.  

Also, Davies just has exceptional speed which when you combine that with at least a body that can hold its own against adults allowed him to play at that young age.  JMR doesn't have the body or the speed to make up for it so need to fill out to not get pushed off the ball too easily.  I agree with the footballing mindset.  That and his ability to seemingly find plays or do things that others don't see sets him apart.  I seriously hope he can become the 10 for us in the middle of the park that we so desperately need to complete our offense (obviously, Flores, Dias, Mitrovic and even Coln are possibles there with some of the others like Passacquale and Sabbatasso being outside shots for 2026 as well).

As for Priso, I have been impressed by him and hope he can develop into a solid sidekick to Eustaquio for 2026 (2022 just seems too soon for him).  The reality is that we don't have as much depth in the 6 and 8 position as we think as Osorio is good for 2022.  2026, not so sure.  Piette is kinda meh.  Hutch, Wotherspon and Arfield will be gone by 2026.  Fraser is in the Piette category.  Kaye should be around but will be 31 in 2022 so probably his best years behind him.  And possibly Smith at Nice but I have him more as a CB. So that leaves Okello (who if he put it together could be a stud) and somone(s) from the U20s and U17s to step up which I see as much more unlikely as central midfielders tend to mature a bit later than wing players or forwards.

3 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Also, Davies just has exceptional speed which when you combine that with at least a body that can hold its own against adults allowed him to play at that young age.  JMR doesn't have the body or the speed to make up for it so need to fill out to not get pushed off the ball too easily.  I agree with the footballing mindset.  That and his ability to seemingly find plays or do things that others don't see sets him apart.  I seriously hope he can become the 10 for us in the middle of the park that we so desperately need to complete our offense (obviously, Flores, Dias, Mitrovic and even Coln are possibles there with some of the others like Passacquale and Sabbatasso being outside shots for 2026 as well).

As for Priso, I have been impressed by him and hope he can develop into a solid sidekick to Eustaquio for 2026 (2022 just seems too soon for him).  The reality is that we don't have as much depth in the 6 and 8 position as we think as Osorio is good for 2022.  2026, not so sure.  Piette is kinda meh.  Hutch, Wotherspon and Arfield will be gone by 2026.  Fraser is in the Piette category.  Kaye should be around but will be 31 in 2022 so probably his best years behind him.  And possibly Smith at Nice but I have him more as a CB. So that leaves Okello (who if he put it together could be a stud) and somone(s) from the U20s and U17s to step up which I see as much more unlikely as central midfielders tend to mature a bit later than wing players or forwards.

Either of JMR or Kam Habibullah could develop into 8s as they get older. They could also end up as 10s or wingers, depending on how things go with their clubs. I think 17 is much too early to peg a player into a specific role for their entire careers.

I still think it is far to early to cap Jayden Nelson’s potential as well.  He is still only 19 as of September and has shown some great individual skills and ability to drive forward.  At the Olympic tournament when everyone was (justifiably) praising Tajon, Jayden was one of the guys we were wishing was there as well to bring some additional spark and share the offensive burden.  He may not have the unique physical attributes of Okello but I wouldn’t bet against him being in the 2026 squad.  

56 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Either of JMR or Kam Habibullah could develop into 8s as they get older. They could also end up as 10s or wingers, depending on how things go with their clubs. I think 17 is much too early to peg a player into a specific role for their entire careers.

you are correct.  And frankly a winger or two could become an 8; or a full back/CB or two could become a 6 (Kaye was a winger/fullback early on for example).  But as of right now we don't have a lot of depth there.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I still think it is far to early to cap Jayden Nelson’s potential as well.  He is still only 19 as of September and has shown some great individual skills and ability to drive forward.  At the Olympic tournament when everyone was (justifiably) praising Tajon, Jayden was one of the guys we were wishing was there as well to bring some additional spark and share the offensive burden.  He may not have the unique physical attributes of Okello but I wouldn’t bet against him being in the 2026 squad.  

He looked the business in the last Camp Poutine before Covid. In the right environment, he could still rediscover that spark and become a star.

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He looked the business in the last Camp Poutine before Covid. In the right environment, he could still rediscover that spark and become a star.

On that note, is there any updates from the Anderlecht trial? Seems like the perfect place for him to develop. 

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

I agree with your post except the Kay part. He turned 27 in Dec of this year. He won't be 31 at Qatar.

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It can be tricky, depending on whether my wife has her heels on, or I have my cowboy boots on..its a toss up on who is taller in pictures.  😀

I also find it can be tricky when my wife is wearing pumps and I have my cowboy boots on. 

What are we talking about again? 

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

This is just came to my mind but in that photo with Salah he is taller than him. Salah is listed as 5'9" while JMR is listed as 5'7" on Wikipedia and as low as 5'4" on Transfermarkt. Someone needs to update that soon. 

I sat next to him for part of the Panama game and he's at least 5'9-5'10.  I'm 5'9 and he looked to be taller than me.  This is also not the first time I've seen how short he's listed in the past few months but he was clearly at least 5'9 but I think he could be an inch or two taller.  As I mentioned before in this thread, I also asked him if he was going to be involved in the next World Cup cycle for Canada and he replied with an enormous smile "I hope so".  He seems like a real down to earth kid.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:49 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Wild speculation, and it’s very hard to tell what JMR’s game is right now for the reasons others have mentioned, but I think central midfield might be the best role for him. 

The one thing that does come through in his game right now is awareness. He knows where he can find a little bit of extra time on the ball or where the open pass is when there’s a runner (although it’s not always executed flawlessly). Doesn’t strike me that he’ll exceptionally fast even after the growth spurt.

Cesc Fabregas (in some very downscaled way of course) comes to mind.

Edited by ag futbol