Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

To be frank, that video does not flatter him. 

This happens too often: someone (usually a dad or agent) does a video of clips, but if you analyse it a bit, it really does the opposite of what it is supposed to. The JMR we see in that video is not ready yet, and IMO only has a few little upsides, mostly: 

-goes in well for a tackle recovering position

-has clean passing with both feet to keep possession in transition. 

That is it.

Hopefully anyone looking at him has seen something better.

6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Is he still on trial with Liverpool?  It’s gone pretty silent on the trial front.  I was expecting a loan or something but otherwise he’s going to be with TFC until he turns 18.

He's with TFC until he's 18 regardless. He can't join Liverpool until he's 18. If they signed him now, he'd have to be loaned to Toronto until he turns 18. He can't be loaned to Liverpool prior to 18 either. His ITC can't move to a foreign country until he is 18 whether that be by loan or transfer. 

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This happens too often: someone (usually a dad or agent) does a video of clips, but if you analyse it a bit, it really does the opposite of what it is supposed to. The JMR we see in that video is not ready yet, and IMO only has a few little upsides, mostly: 

That is it.

Literally felt the same way watching this.

Also my thoughts were that he looks like a RB…which for all his hype, he doesn’t get converted there.

Just now, Shway said:

Literally felt the same way watching this.

Also my thoughts were that he looks like a RB…which for all his hype, he doesn’t get converted there.

Some players are not meant for highlight reels, what matters is if good scouts value him. I suspect, however, that from this he would not get picked up by an EPL club.

Now if in practice or match situations he makes good decisions, and shows quality skills, that matters more than highlight reel shit. This is not NBA showtime, but not sure all kids realise that.  

Another thing that bothers me and that appears a lot here, and I mentioned before, is that he constantly on the ground, he loses his footing even after attacking plays, and tackles on the ground too. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is it.

I agree with you, I thought some of it wasn't so great but then again I don't know anything.  I thought he moved well athletically for all that is worth, kind of the same quick impression I got from Ugbo.

I would think though that a real set of pro scout eyes could see through that clip and recognize a diamond in the rough (if it existed)  I don't think a good clip or bad clip would matter much to a pro scout. They're going to see the things we don't (I would hope)

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is it.

Yes. That was my thought when I saw that. I stopped watching midway through.  If you look at the similar highlight video that was done for TB for example,  its no comparaison at all.  Yes, i know that is a significant age difference between the two.

This supposed highlight video shows him:  Celebrating a goal while wearing a substitutes bib 2) making a throw ins 3) delivering some hopeful crosses in the box.

Given his age, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those coaches and club personel who have seen far more of him than any of us have.   But, from the little i have seen with my own eyes, i have to reserve judgment.  I am not jumping on the hype bandwagon just yet.

Edit:  went back and watched the rest and there are a couple notewothy plays later on towards the end of the video.   Where you see some good dribbling in tight spaces and always keeping the ball tight to his feet on his runs.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'll see your smoky robinson/JMR and raise you a Will Johnson/Hank Snow.

Did anyone know (or care) that this famous clip (which is in almost all documentaries about the early days of Rock and Roll) is Hank Snow's son, Jimmie Rodgers Snow.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

He's with TFC until he's 18 regardless. He can't join Liverpool until he's 18. If they signed him now, he'd have to be loaned to Toronto until he turns 18. He can't be loaned to Liverpool prior to 18 either. His ITC can't move to a foreign country until he is 18 whether that be by loan or transfer. 

Is there not a rule that he can go if a parent goes with him, or is that just for kids joining an academy?

14 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Is there not a rule that he can go if a parent goes with him, or is that just for kids joining an academy?

He can make an international transfer prior to his 18th birthday only if he's moving with a parent and the move is NOT for a football reason. For example, if his mother or father was offered a job, and visa sponsorship, by a business in the UK, he could go there as a minor child and seek to join a local club. However, if the parent is only moving to facilitate the kid's football transfer, then it's against FIFA's rules on international transfers.

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He can make an international transfer prior to his 18th birthday only if he's moving with a parent and the move is NOT for a football reason. For example, if his mother or father was offered a job, and visa sponsorship, by a business in the UK, he could go there as a minor child and seek to join a local club. However, if the parent is only moving to facilitate the kid's football transfer, then it's against FIFA's rules on international transfers.

So its different if a young kid is going overseas to join an academy?

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

So its different if a young kid is going overseas to join an academy?

An U18 player can only move to an overseas club, regardless if it's for academy football or first-team, if they have a passport that allows them to move freely to the country where that club is based, or if a parent has moved to that country for reasons unrelated to the kid's football career. So, unless JMR has a UK passport, he cannot join an English club before his 18th birthday.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Yes. That was my thought when I saw that. I stopped watching midway through.  If you look at the similar highlight video that was done for TB for example,  its no comparaison at all.  Yes, i know that is a significant age difference between the two.

This supposed highlight video shows him:  Celebrating a goal while wearing a substitutes bib 2) making a throw ins 3) delivering some hopeful crosses in the box.

Given his age, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those coaches and club personel who have seen far more of him than any of us have.   But, from the little i have seen with my own eyes, i have to reserve judgment.  I am not jumping on the hype bandwagon just yet.

Edit:  went back and watched the rest and there are a couple notewothy plays later on towards the end of the video.   Where you see some good dribbling in tight spaces and always keeping the ball tight to his feet on his runs.

In the end, if you're a holding mid, what sort of highlight reel do you do up age 17? It sort of irks me that the whole concept favours hotdogging. It's for the guys who dribble and do directional shift and get assists in the attacking midfield. The rest of players, forget it.

So if you don't hotdog you don't do a reel because no one wants to watch a whole video of a guy helping to break down plays. Only every team needs guys like that too. 

So if the interest is real, the best he can do is try to make his way into the TFC line-up, get some minutes, mature as much as he can, and take a solid transfer to a strong European u-18 academy at the end of the season.

He can't go until he's 18 anyways, mid June. So he could also do a mid-summer move, although with a few months left on his contract I doubt anyone would pay a transfer, or maybe nothing more than a symbolic amount.

23 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Did anyone know (or care) that this famous clip (which is in almost all documentaries about the early days of Rock and Roll) is Hank Snow's son, Jimmie Rodgers Snow.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

The guy is still alive, and I'm sure he has an opinion about this clip - would love to hear it.  Fact is, he toured with Elvis, Buddy Holly, but then abandoned that business to pastor a very successful church in Nashville, and host Gospel Time at the Grand Ole Opry.  He did 1200 shows over 25 years there.  So he clearly understands music, the music biz and the church.  Would love to hear his viewpoint on how he reconciled all of that.

But yeah, what forum are we in anyhow?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So if the interest is real, the best he can do is try to make his way into the TFC line-up, get some minutes, mature as much as he can, and take a solid transfer to a strong European u-18 academy at the end of the season.

He can't go until he's 18 anyways, mid June. So he could also do a mid-summer move, although with a few months left on his contract I doubt anyone would pay a transfer, or maybe nothing more than a symbolic amount.

I am sure his contract goes through 2024, 2023 minimum, he signed in January 2000, normally young academy players get 3+2, 2+2 at minimum.  Curtis has the reputation of being bad, but not that bad that he would let a young players contract expire just as he turned 18.