Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

16 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

Seeing people are comparing him to Davies on twitter.

Kid has a bright future, but Alphonso is a generational player and the best LB in the world. Pretty high standards to put him there. 

The potential on him is real, not sure Alphonso is generational by world standards and even best LB in the world seems like a stretch at this time.

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The potential on him is real, not sure Alphonso is generational by world standards and even best LB in the world seems like a stretch at this time.

It's very rare that you can say 'X player is the best at Y position in the world.' However, it's beyond argument that the Phonz's name is written in indelible ink at LB on the team sheet for one of the best 5 teams in the world. He's definitely in the conversation as one of the best LBs in the world. There are a small handful of players who are also in that conversation. He's the youngest of that group, though, and the one with the least amount of time in the position.

36 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Potential is real for sure, but most of excitement has been built on reports/media hype than actual performances I would say.  When he goes on these training stints in Europe, he's training with his own age group, not senior sides.  Alphonso was very different, he had his pick of 1st teams to transfer to.  Comparing the two just does more harm than good.

Half of the stuff that gets reported about transfer interest/pre-agreement with "insert world class team" is just agent fabricated.  I think the kid needs time to develop in the MLS and shouldn't be in a rush to leave.  Normally I would say that the Canadian clubs are terribly wrong for not giving some of the Homegrowns more minutes, but with Bob Bradley, if he's good enough, he will play.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:30 AM, VinceA said:

It's been mentioned that this isn't the case. The UK looks at an average rating of 2 years. Just because we're under 50 now doesn't mean our average is under 50.

I don't think there are any written rules here. The exemption is for national interest. If the obvious best 18 year old in the world only was able to play for the 160th best country in the world then the office in the UK government would likely approve that exemption. There are probably some in house policies that they generally follow but they aren't going to hurt their sports economy because of a changeable policy.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's very rare that you can say 'X player is the best at Y position in the world.' However, it's beyond argument that the Phonz's name is written in indelible ink at LB on the team sheet for one of the best 5 teams in the world. He's definitely in the conversation as one of the best LBs in the world. There are a small handful of players who are also in that conversation. He's the youngest of that group, though, and the one with the least amount of time in the position.

I’m not saying he’s not good, but I think it’s too early to call him the best, one of sure, but for me not top 3 and probably not 5. Can he get there yes I do think so.

17 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Before I get too excited about this "potential world talent," he's ours right? No dual nationality with England or something? No imminent scooping from another nation with an improved national youth set up? Too many disappointments already just these past few months alone, want to REALLY be sure before I get too excited lol.

He could play for Jamaica but I’d imagine that only comes into play if he doesn’t end up being good enough for us, reality is he is expected to own the RM/Cam spot for 5 years of his career minimum. I won’t go further because lord knows when his challenger is coming or if he (yes I’m looking at you Theo) is here already. 

I know we worry about Ballou but it seems like JMR has a better head and entourage.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I’m not saying he’s not good, but I think it’s too early to call him the best, one of sure, but for me not top 3 and probably not 5. Can he get there yes I do think so.

Are you talking about present or of all time here? cuz its not even a question he's a top 5 LB right now.

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He could play for Jamaica but I’d imagine that only comes into play if he doesn’t end up being good enough for us, reality is he is expected to own the RM/Cam spot for 5 years of his career minimum. I won’t go further because lord knows when his challenger is coming or if he (yes I’m looking at you Theo) is here already. 

I know we worry about Ballou but it seems like JMR has a better head and entourage.

Ballou, Hanson Boakai, Ryan Gyaki, Wyn Beloote, Jaimie Peters etc etc etc.  Plenty of these kids had 5 star rating on them as 14 year olds, but to keep living up to and exceding the potential like Davies/David has is very rare.  So many reasons and pitfalls in front of kid to keep them from reaching the tippy top of their potential..whereas Davies/David probably has gone beyond what the most optomistic people expected.  For me I dont expect much from Rutty...I HOPE...hope that between Nelsen, Rutty, Habibullah, one of them will live up to maybe an Oso/Crepeau level of success or maybe even a Larin, Brennan, Stalteri type of european journey.  

9 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I don't think there are any written rules here. The exemption is for national interest. If the obvious best 18 year old in the world only was able to play for the 160th best country in the world then the office in the UK government would likely approve that exemption. There are probably some in house policies that they generally follow but they aren't going to hurt their sports economy because of a changeable policy.

Well put!   I could never understand why this notion of this “so called bureacratic barrier” was always trotted here as a excuse to explain why there arent more Canadians playing the UK.   Bottomline,  if club really wants someone,  they will get them.   We never hear about about work permits and needing to be ranked top 50th etc etc from anyone in the UK.  Only here on thsi site. 

Edited by Free kick

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ballou, Hanson Boakai, Ryan Gyaki, Wyn Beloote, Jaimie Peters etc etc etc.  Plenty of these kids had 5 star rating on them as 14 year olds, but to keep living up to and exceding the potential like Davies/David has is very rare.  

We can go further and ask: Was a “5 star rating” rating really warranted in those example you listed?   And who gave them a high rating?  It certainly wasn’t anyone whose job and career it is to make these kind of assessments. But rather it was instead maybe  100-200 people on a website or forum for a supporters group of national team who might have seen them for no more than one or two games on television.  Maybe one guy might run past a brazilian defender on one play when his team was badly dominated and the fans were clinging to find something positive to say about that game. Thats hardly an unbiased professional assessment and it certain doesnt add any context or any comparative assessment of the talent in question.

But with these kids like JMR and previously phonzie.  These assesments of a so called 5 star rating are being given by people who see these kids every day.   They have seen many many more games involving these talents and they have seen them in practice.  They know the personalities and they are able to make an unbiased comparative assessment of these kids.  This is something we cant do here.   So when a senior club official tells me that this is a geniune prospect, i am far far more inclined to believe him or her than what i have seen in one game from the kid or what i have read in a fan forum (ie.:  no disrespect intended to the fan forum).

PS.:  what made us believe that Bellotte was destined for super stardom was the kind of play that Tajon buchanan has been doing many times in games this year.  Even many times in one half.  Bellotte did it once and we all thought he was destined to be the next one.

Edited by Free kick

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ballou, Hanson Boakai, Ryan Gyaki, Wyn Beloote, Jaimie Peters etc etc etc.  

Boakai and Gyaki were never seen as 5 star recruits at the global level.  Not even closed.  Ballou, Peters and Belotte were definitely very highly rated so the point you make that players who are highly rated certainly can flame out.  That I would agree with.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:37 PM, Matro25 said:

Seeing people are comparing him to Davies on twitter.

Kid has a bright future, but Alphonso is a generational player and the best LB in the world. Pretty high standards to put him there. 

Davies during his 17 year old transfer market frenzie wasn't what he was now. You can go read the thread on him, we were happy with him moving to Bayern and were hopeful he might get a couple first team minutes but were okay if he spent some time with the second team at such a large club. 

39 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Davies during his 17 year old transfer market frenzie wasn't what he was now. You can go read the thread on him, we were happy with him moving to Bayern and were hopeful he might get a couple first team minutes but were okay if he spent some time with the second team at such a large club. 

Sure, but if you remember the time before his transfer he was bossing games as a 17 year old.  Any starlet moving from MLS to a monster like Bayern is going to have question marks around his playing time etc, but Davies ar 17 was far more impactful that JMR was last year.  It isn't even close.

I am a big JMR fan and hope he kills it in the years to come - but any comparison to Davies (who was gifted with almost unnatural athleticism) seems destined for disappointment.  Lets just appreciate him for what he is - a 17 year old kid who is performing respectably when given the chance in MLS and who is getting attention at big clubs.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sure, but if you remember the time before his transfer he was bossing games as a 17 year old.  Any starlet moving from MLS to a monster like Bayern is going to have question marks around his playing time etc, but Davies ar 17 was far more impactful that JMR was last year.  It isn't even close.

I am a big JMR fan and hope he kills it in the years to come - but any comparison to Davies (who was gifted with almost unnatural athleticism) seems destined for disappointment.  Lets just appreciate him for what he is - a 17 year old kid who is performing respectably when given the chance in MLS and who is getting attention at big clubs.

Davies was an MLS All-Star and JMR can hardly get a game. There is really no comparison between the two at that age.