Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I might be completely wrong and speaking out of my arse but… now that we’re top 50 in FIFA rankings doesn’t it make him eligible to play in UK before 18? 

They are two completely different things.

1. FIFA bans international transfers of underage players. Therefore, unless he has a UK passport, or his family moves to the UK for a reason other than him playing football, he cannot transfer to a UK-based club before his 18th birthday. 

2. For our players who don't have a UK passport, the fact that our FIFA ranking is lower than 50th now makes our players automatically eligible for a UK work permit, assuming they've played a high enough percentage of CMNT matches over the past 2 years, should they transfer to a UK-based club.

Just now, Kadenge said:

I assume that as long as he is out of contract or there is agreement with TFC he could train with a Euro club until he turns 18 just like David with Gent?

Correct. He just can't be registered with a club outside Canada before his 18th birthday, unless he either has a passport for the country/jurisdiction where that club is based or a parent moves to that country for unrelated reasons.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

You’re 100% sure he’s still got term on his prison sentence ?

Would have loved to be his age and have that kind of prison sentence. When I was that age and playing youth soccer here in Toronto in the stone ages the most exciting thing was sometimes showing up to a field for a game and the two goals actually had mesh up .

36 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Would have loved to be his age and have that kind of prison sentence. When I was that age and playing youth soccer here in Toronto in the stone ages the most exciting thing was sometimes showing up to a field for a game and the two goals actually had mesh up .

and oranges at half time.

If this was something TFC lined up wouldnt they be talking it up?  Or is it the same deal..ie the club cant line up trialing of an under 18 with no passport??  Hard to believe he still has years left on a contract and just be-boping around europe training with clubs, with no offical word from TFC like DERO did back in the day.  

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Would much rather him playing with Arsenal U18s, or any good youth academy really, then have him stick around with TFC first team. He was nowhere near ready for serious MLS minutes last year. Really needs to be playing regularly at a level he can contribute at this point of his career.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a move but I don’t really agree with the bolded part.  Once he was given a bit of consistent playing time at the end of the year (after they were eliminated from playoff contention) I thought his wing play was fairly solid.   Not perfect for sure - but I wouldn’t say that he was “nowhere near ready for serious MLS minutes”.  I think if he is given a chance he would show that he is ready for solid minutes in competitive games at this level.   

For all the hate TFC gets, they do try their best to give young players opportunities to train abroad in the off-season (JMR/Nelson).  If Priso was healthy, he'd probably be somewhere as well.  IMO JMR, Nelson and Priso are the top 3 young players they have at the moment and the ones with some value so it's great that they are allowing them to get this kind of exposure.  

JMR is high potential but he's no where near surpassed the level of MLS where we should be desperate to see him leave.  He doesn't walk into a 1st team of any big EU club at the moment.  Should he get more minutes?  Yes, and he certainly will this season so I'm not concerned for his development.  Heck, he's gotten a lot more minutes, hype, and pr push from his club than Habibullah has at Vancouver and I think he's without question the best young Canadian U20 in our system😅  

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

They are two completely different things.

1. FIFA bans international transfers of underage players. Therefore, unless he has a UK passport, or his family moves to the UK for a reason other than him playing football, he cannot transfer to a UK-based club before his 18th birthday. 

2. For our players who don't have a UK passport, the fact that our FIFA ranking is lower than 50th now makes our players automatically eligible for a UK work permit, assuming they've played a high enough percentage of CMNT matches over the past 2 years, should they transfer to a UK-based club.

It's been mentioned that this isn't the case. The UK looks at an average rating of 2 years. Just because we're under 50 now doesn't mean our average is under 50.

47 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

For all the hate TFC gets, they do try their best to give young players opportunities to train abroad in the off-season (JMR/Nelson).  If Priso was healthy, he'd probably be somewhere as well.  IMO JMR, Nelson and Priso are the top 3 young players they have at the moment and the ones with some value so it's great that they are allowing them to get this kind of exposure.  

So why wouldnt TFC have an announcement about JMR going abroad for training/trialing etc?  Montreal just sent players to Bologna to train..and made a nice PR story out of it.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

So why wouldnt TFC have an announcement about JMR going abroad for training/trialing etc?  Montreal just sent players to Bologna to train..and made a nice PR story out of it.  

Montreal and Bologna are the same ownership.  

I don't think Toronto needs to make an announcement, what is the benefit of that PR?  The people who need to know are already in the know.  What happens if the training stint doesn't go well?  Would they want that getting out?  Hardly any MLS club makes an announcement for these off-season training stints yet every year homegrown players go to train abroad whether the average person is aware of it or not.  There's a kid from Colorado also training at Arsenal (same owners as Colorado) yet they haven't made an announcement either.  It's easy for people to see these training stints and make more of them than what they actually are (ie. this forum😅). 

Edited by Footyeh

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If you are not complaining about the after effects of a slide tackle on a red blaes pitch or getting in the way of a shot on goal with a Mitre mouldmaster you probably got off relatively lightly in terms of what was happening elsewhere at the time. On topic, is it really so difficult for the usual suspects on here to comprehend that a 17 year old who is still very much under contract to TFC would not be training overseas without TFC's full knowledge and permission?

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

It's been mentioned that this isn't the case. The UK looks at an average rating of 2 years. Just because we're under 50 now doesn't mean our average is under 50.

There is also a points system requirement related to factors like the number of recent internationals played and the number and quality of first team club games so the idea that the UK would suddenly be wide open to all Canadian players is definitely off base. Only a select few would actually be eligible.

Worth noting also that non-Irish EU passport holders have to go through this post-Brexit so for example the UK would be a lot more difficult to access now for the next young Italian-Canadian player in the TFC Academy who wants to do what Michael Petrasso did by moving to a club like QPR.

Same comment for the next player from that sort of background who jumps straight to a club in Scotland from the CSL/L1O sort of level like Luca Gasparotto did.

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

6 holy Christ that’s long 

I feel like the purpose of that contract was to sell him at age 18/19. The first three years were to cover his underage years where he couldn't be transferred, the next 3 were for leverage, with the hope he would be a Davies-ish talent where having 3 years of control remaining they could extract extra value from an interested club because of the years remaining. 

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

I feel like the purpose of that contract was to sell him at age 18/19. The first three years were to cover his underage years where he couldn't be transferred, the next 3 were for leverage, with the hope he would be a Davies-ish talent where having 3 years of control remaining they could extract extra value from an interested club because of the years remaining. 

Some people forget it’s a business in the end all of this , so ya clubs like TFC in the end will look after themselves when signing young players . Young players are signed in hopes of selling to a higher league and making a return that’s the business plain and simple, producing players developing players that you can sell, which in the end is really the main purpose of these MLS academies. The MLS is a selling league when it comes to young players either young players that come from the Academy or young players that are brought in from other countries who hopefully do well in the MLS that can be sold for a higher price than you purchased them for . Like I said it’s a business and if indirectly players that came from your Academy go on to help and play for our national then that’s a bonus .

Edited by SoccMan

12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Some people forget it’s a business in the end all of this , so ya clubs like TFC in the end will look after themselves when signing young players . Young players are signed in hopes of selling to a higher league and making a return that’s the business plain and simple, producing players developing players that you can sell, which in the end is really the main purpose of these MLS academies. The MLS is a selling league when it comes to young players either young players that come from the Academy or young players that are brought in from other countries who hopefully do well in the MLS that can be sold for a higher price than you purchased them for . Like I said it’s a business and if indirectly players that came from your Academy go on to help and play for our national then that’s a bonus .

Can’t really say MLS on a whole is a selling league.

Theres literally only about two teams that would fall under that category, and it’s FC Dallas leading the way by far, followed by NYRB. 

In order to be considered a selling league for young academy players, you have to have a consistent record of giving them opportunities to play. TFC doesn’t really do that at all. 

And If you’re only buying valuable young players to sell for a greater value…does that really make you a seller?