Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

1 hour ago, RS said:

Davies was an MLS All-Star the year he turned 18. JMR still has time.

That said, Davies is a generational talent for Canada. JMR doesn't need to reach those heights to have a very good career (for club and country).

Exactly. Davies was 17 turning 18 when he had his breakout season, with only 1 assist in his previous year. JMR is just going into that right now. 

Edited by PopePouri

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think JMR is going to end up being more of a Busio than a Davies, just looking at his skill set and his career trajectory thus far. 

it's crazy that Davies is being mentioned. Like guys give me a break. Davies to Canada is what Haaland is to Norway....

JMRs got time, but let's not put a timeframe on his "breakout" especially in reference to Alphonso.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

it's crazy that Davies is being mentioned. Like guys give me a break. Davies to Canada is what Haaland is to Norway....

JMRs got time, but let's not put a timeframe on his "breakout" especially in reference to Alphonso.

Sure, I actually wouldn't care if he didn't take a step this upcoming season. Priso got into the team a year ago at 18. I mean Buchanan was 22 when he got his big move. Players develop at different rates.

But if we're comparing Davies and JMR at this age, Davies was raw and had a poor final ball. 

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If we're going to make the Davies reference, can someone please remind me what the 2nd most valuable player in Concacaf was doing at age 17? Everyone dial it back a few notches and let's give JMR a few years

The obvious thing for me is the "type" of player he is. His main attribute seems to be his football IQ. That makes him a standout relative to others his age.

Davies main attribute was his dribbling, pace, strength. Those qualities were off the charts and I think it helped him climb the ladder very quickly. It's very different

I just don't see JMR doing that right now. If his football IQ sees him become Toronto's best player this upcoming season I will consider reversing my opinion. 

The comparsions stem from the interest from Champions League clubs at age 17, that's it.

Career trajectory not ≠ potential. Someone like Busio was never getting this much interest at this age. The interest is not "made up by his agent", although its inflated he is getting trials at Arsenal, Liverpool, etc right now. I don't think JMR is comparable to Davies at this age, he needs to prove so much more but, Davies was able to instantly step up at men's level because his ridiculous athelticism at age 17. JMR was never going to be able to do that. Very interested in how this season is going to go for him.

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Davies main attribute was his dribbling, pace, strength. Those qualities were off the charts and I think it helped him climb the ladder very quickly. It's very different

100%, Davies physical gifts helped speed up his progress. It's evident from watching short stints of JMR that the talent is there, but where Davies was speeding by the whole MLS at age 17, JMR is still built like a child and needs to mature both physically and as a footballer. But I'm confident that he's a baller, it's just a matter of time

10 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

The comparsions stem from the interest from Champions League clubs at age 17, that's it.

Career trajectory not ≠ potential. Someone like Busio was never getting this much interest at this age. The interest is not "made up by his agent", although its inflated he is getting trials at Arsenal, Liverpool, etc right now. I don't think JMR is comparable to Davies at this age, he needs to prove so much more but, Davies was able to instantly step up at men's level because his ridiculous athelticism at age 17. JMR was never going to be able to do that. Very interested in how this season is going to go for him.

Is this accurate? I remember him drawing interest from big clubs after his first MLS season. Is my memory wrong (it could be)?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is this accurate? I remember him drawing interest from big clubs after his first MLS season. Is my memory wrong (it could be)?

I remember him getting big interest in seria A (Fiorentina, Juventus, AC Milan), and PSV. Feyenoord in 2020. Which is big but a ton of Champions League level teams apparently having pre-agreed offers, training with Aresnal, Liverpool. Earlier Bayern, Manchester United having interest seems fairly higher. 

3 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

I remember him getting big interest in seria A (Fiorentina, Juventus, AC Milan), and PSV. Feyenoord in 2020. Which is big but a ton of Champions League level teams apparently having pre-agreed offers, training with Aresnal, Liverpool. Earlier Bayern, Manchester United having interest seems fairly higher. 

Yeah fair enough. I agree that signing pre-agreements and training are a bigger deal and you could argue the clubs interested are stronger, even though they're all very big clubs.

Will be happy if JMR is further along than Busio in 2 years time. 

Tweets like this imo are horrible: 

"Expecting offers to come soon for pre-agreed move when he turns 18", this is pushing a false narrative that the average fan ends up believing and it also creates such high expectations for us, of the player.  I get it though, the MLS business model of the league right now is to push the best young players to Europe as quick as possible, so anytime information get's fed, it's always being amplified to the max to generate interest from fans.  The same people said Busio was being chased by Barcelona, City, the Italian clubs @Xavier. mentioned above, and these reporters put it out like it was real.  All of the "interested champions league clubs" or clubs he trained at were top clubs, yet he ended up at Venezia (which is still a great club, just not the stature of the ones always being reported on).   The same for Cole Bassett from Colorado, really blossomed in the past year and the stories started flowing how he has big EU interest, trained at Arsenal, in the end, the only offer on the table was from Benfica B...   

Edited by Footyeh

23 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Tweets like this imo are horrible: 

"Expecting offers to come soon for pre-agreed move when he turns 18", this is pushing a false narrative that the average fan ends up believing and it also creates such high expectations for us, of the player.  I get it though, the MLS business model of the league right now is to push the best young players to Europe as quick as possible, so anytime information get's fed, it's always being amplified to the max to generate interest from fans.  The same people said Busio was being chased by Barcelona, City, the Italian clubs @Xavier. mentioned above, and these reporters put it out like it was real.  All of the "interested champions league clubs" or clubs he trained at were top clubs, yet he ended up at Venezia (which is still a great club, just not the stature of the ones always being reported on).   The same for Cole Bassett from Colorado, really blossomed in the past year and the stories started flowing how he has big EU interest, trained at Arsenal, in the end, the only offer on the table was from Benfica B...   

im not sure Busio grew as expected however. But you do make a good point.

7 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Don't JMR and Davies have the same amount of assists at this age?

Kind of, but not really.

In MLS league play, yes they both had 1 assist in the calendar year that they turned 17. But Davies also had 2 goals and an assist in CCL (all against MLS competition), and 2 goals and an assist in the Voyageurs Cup (again, all against MLS competition), and a Golden Boot performance with 3 goals in the Gold Cup. For what it's worth, Davies was also 5 months younger in these seasons I'm comparing. Meaning, Davies was 16 rather than 17 for the vast majority all of that season while JMR turned 17 halfway through the season. Right now JMR is 17 years and 6 months old. When Davies was 17 years and 6 months old he had all of the above stats, plus another goal and 2 assists in MLS league play in the 2018 season.

10 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

They link to that Youtube video with Wheeler, from the end of October. So recent. 

Wheeler is professional, speaks well, and asks proper questions. Good intereview. But, he is also the most cheerleader of TFC cheerleaders, don't let him call TFC matches, that is when he embarrasses himself.