CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

But then again when the Canadian team plays back east not a lot of people come out so it must be a bit of a different experience. So i guess i understand how you feel

The two guys you are responding to are from Barcelona/Vancouver and Vancouver.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, SpursFlu said:

But then again when the Canadian team plays back east not a lot of people come out so it must be a bit of a different experience. So i guess i understand how you feel

giphy.gif

Heres our past 5 games on home soil. 

Field - Capacity
BC Place - 54,500
BMO Field - 30,000
Saputo Stadium - 20,801

Games:

September 6th, 2016- Vancouver - WCQ vs El Salvador - 20,726 (38% to capacity)
Importance of this game was a must win for Canada who was relying on a Honduras loss to advance to the hex. 

June 7th, 2017 - Montreal -  Friendly vs Curacao - 6,026 - (20% to capacity)
Importance...none 

September 2nd, 2017 - Toronto - Friendly vs Jamaica - 21,724  (72% to capacity)
Importance...none

October 16th, 2018 - Toronto -  CNL vs Dominica - 10,523 (35% to capacity)
Importance was the first game of the CNL, need a win to kick start.

March 24th, 2018 - Vancouver - CNL vs French Guiana - 17,124 (31% to capacity)
Importance was needed a win to qualify for CNL League A, and 2018 Gold Cup.

Based on this, it shows that Vancouver has had the best marketability games....

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Field - Capacity
BC Place - 54,500
BMO Field - 30,000
Saputo Stadium - 20,801

The capacity (and therefore the capacity ratio) is only relevant once we approach it. If there are fewer than 19 000 fans, or we expect fewer than 19 000 fans, it is better to simply compare attendance.

This will certainly be the case for the Cuba game.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

giphy.gif

Heres our past 5 games on home soil. 

Field - Capacity
BC Place - 54,500
BMO Field - 30,000
Saputo Stadium - 20,801

Games:

September 6th, 2016- Vancouver - WCQ vs El Salvador - 20,726 (38% to capacity)
Importance of this game was a must win for Canada who was relying on a Honduras loss to advance to the hex. 

June 7th, 2017 - Montreal -  Friendly vs Curacao - 6,026 - (20% to capacity)
Importance...none 

September 2nd, 2017 - Toronto - Friendly vs Jamaica - 21,724  (72% to capacity)
Importance...none

October 16th, 2018 - Toronto -  CNL vs Dominica - 10,523 (35% to capacity)
Importance was the first game of the CNL, need a win to kick start.

March 24th, 2018 - Vancouver - CNL vs French Guiana - 17,124 (31% to capacity)
Importance was needed a win to qualify for CNL League A, and 2018 Gold Cup.

Based on this, it shows that Vancouver has had the best marketability games....

Haha i love the percentage to capacity. Anyways play the game on Mars for all i care. Either way ill be watching

I think the game against USA is going to be in Toronto and will be a sell out.

Bradley and Altidore playing against Canada at BMO is a can't-miss marketing opportunity. I think we'd see a very large travelling contingent, but I see them being organized all in one section. This isn't your typical immigrant supporting the motherland situation with the Americans.

I actually prefer 500 Sam's Army or whatever they are called all chanting in one section to 3000 Mexicans or Jamaicans diffused throughout the whole crowd in their green or yellow shirts. Those are the cases we want to play somewhere obscure like Halifax or Edmonton.

I'm not worried about the American fans in the slightest. In fact, their presence would be welcome, as it would really add to the atmosphere. And an emotional atmosphere, at home, would perhaps favour us!

Thoughts?

Edited by Obinna

On 4/1/2019 at 11:22 AM, admin said:

Fuck no.  I want those Americans fucking silent. 

I do like the American Outlaws and Sam's Army folks.  I have chatted with many of them and the people running things have always been really helpful when I have asked them questions. 

But during that 90 minutes, I would rather own the stadium. 

If the goal is keeping the American Outlaws/Sam's Army types silent or out of the stadium entirely, have the game in Winnipeg. I think most of them hated being here so much during the WWC that they won't be coming back.

12 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

It's a two way street when it comes to venue hosting. Do places like Halifax or Calgary want to host Canada matches? I don't know if the stadium owners have indicated that they are interested in doing more than just CPL matches.

The danger with Calgary, and I suppose Halifax, is that both grounds are small.

Let's say you get 500 Americans travelling to Calgary from the Pacific NW, it's a very short flight and within driving range. The capacity of Spruce Meadows is what, 6000?

Is that better than 1000 Americans in a Bmo crowd of 25,000? I don't know...

Halifax is at risk of Americans coming from New England. I don't know any location that would greatly reduce their numbers, aside from perhaps Newfoundland, but that is not a realistic possibility.

Besides, it is even hard for Canadians to get there.

On 4/1/2019 at 9:27 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

Honestly I don’t care if we don’t play in Vancouver all the time, but to cut us out completely is just kinda sad, especially when you’re willing to go to Victoria where I’m 90% sure there is a turf field. Also the chance of Mexico in Halifax is next to 0; there’s a better chance Winnipeg becomes the national team stadium and we play all our games there.

My apologies, I thought Victoria was a grass field. I'm not the hugest fan of playing Jamaica in Toronto( solid Jamaican support there), although we have produced results vs jamaica at BMO.... except our 0-0 a few wcq cycles back. 

Again, everyone in BC is awesome, use to live there. I just despise the field and all World Cup games need to be played on grass anyways... but hey if the players don't mind it and it gives us a clear advantage by all means, let's do it!

My selections were strictly for maximum home support: minimal away fans, on grass, and giving us a massive home field advantage with crowd support(influence ref subconsciously, vocal crowd), etc etc.  The attendance record was great vs Mexico, Voyageurs looked great, but it still had 15-20k Mexicans and lots of scattered green throughout the stadium when watching on TV. When Mexico scored, crowd got fairly loud (at least on TV). I just tossed out Mexico in Halifax because if it comes down to it in a pivitol WCQ match, I don't see many mexican supportors being able to make it all the way there. 

Not the hugest fan of a home USA game on the west coast, simply because of the massive footy support both Portland and Seattle has. I'd be really concerned about "home field advantage" especially with the state of US$ vs Canadian$ and the cost of tickets for USMNT games. It literally would be cheaper for people on the west coast to see the USMT play in Canada(Vancouver). Also Quebecers to my understanding despise Trump(I don't like making a political reference in sports), but crowd will definitely very Anti-USA pro Canada in my opinion. Why Montreal is my first choice for playing vs USA.

I'm sure the CSA will figure it out, @Unnamed Trialist made an excellent point on home advantage.

On April 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

The Americans are going to come regardless. Why we making it seem like we can avoid it. 

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton... Wherever. CSA just has to be organized with who buys tickets. 

I don't see many Americans interested in Concacaf Nations League. If this was a WCQ match it would have more support from the US fans.Therefore I doubt about a huge number of Us Attendance .

18 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

I don't see many Americans interested in Concacaf Nations League. If this was a WCQ match it would have more support from the US fans.Therefore I doubt about a huge number of Us Attendance .

Yeah, I was going to point this out earlier. The comments I've seen (mlssoccer.com is my only source of American fan comments) is that it's a useless and even harmful competition. They think CONCACAF shouldn't run the competition solely because they want the USA to play friendlies with sexier opponents. I'll be surprised if the semi finals and finals are played anywhere outside of the US, and yet they seem like they'll still feel hard done by.

I think some of you all are forgetting that its a "new" Canada vs USA matchup. Its the first time in years that we matchup well against them, and those outlaws are very aware of the quality players we now have. 

So I think they'll show up regardless. The numbers will depend on the day of the week the game falls on. 

2 hours ago, Dmrich said:

One positive in playing in Edmonton is it would be a homecoming for Fonzie and the first chance for Edmonton fans to see him play for Canada. This would give the crowd numbers a huge boost.

I think Vancouver would have the bigger Phonzy draw, but I want him to play in Edmonton at some point! (Maybe WC 2026?)

8 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I think some of you all are forgetting that its a "new" Canada vs USA matchup. Its the first time in years that we matchup well against them, and those outlaws are very aware of the quality players we now have. 

So I think they'll show up regardless. The numbers will depend on the day of the week the game falls on. 

As I have mentioned previously and as noted by Kent, there isn't a lot of interest in CNL by US fans. And most importantly, the US support fervour level for the MNT is probably at its lowest level in this century with missing the WC, one year of aimless play under an interim manager, stupidly high ticket prices for friendlies and various missteps at the federation level. While they have some promising youth players, they aren't yet given playing time by the new manager and/or haven't shown much yet at their clubs. Pulisic is having a so so year and is injured again. Interest will pick up for WCQ. If they play good at the GC, a bit more will pay attention to CNL.

Based on various website chatter, most of the talk is about how they can (if they can) get to Cuba and how many will defect.

And with Canada, they know Davies, some MLS players and many still think we're crap (understandable since we haven't beat anybody of note and they haven't seen any of our CNL matches). Nearly all haven't heard of David or most of our Euro based players. I would say 80% can't name Herdman as our manager. Some do know our defense is the weak spot.

Edited by red card

21 hours ago, red card said:

As I have mentioned previously and as noted by Kent, there isn't a lot of interest in CNL by US fans..

If there isn't a lot of interest, all the more reason to have the game in Edmonton. For a WCQer, they would travel no matter where the game was. For Nations League, the majority will most likely travel only if it is convenient (Seattle to Vancouver for example).

Big soccer would be where their most hardcore fans are and they think league of nation is beneath them...

Not that much interest but Americans hardcore will show up bit nowhere near the numbers a WCQ or Gold Cup game would attract.

CSA must pick the venue giving them the best odds. Bradley and Altidore are used to BMO field and have fans there already and turf field aren't a disadvantage to Americans.

For me it would be either Montreal, Calgary or Langford. Not BMO field, save that for Cuba

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 6:20 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that is pushing it. But Goderich?

I recognize the joke behind this, but for the sake of seriousness (where none is actually deserved) as a former resident of Goderich, with many family members still living there, I have to regrettably inform this community that in the entirety of a town of 8,000 people, there isn't a single soccer field that has seating of any kind. 

47 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

I recognize the joke behind this, but for the sake of seriousness (where none is actually deserved) as a former resident of Goderich, with many family members still living there, I have to regrettably inform this community that in the entirety of a town of 8,000 people, there isn't a single soccer field that has seating of any kind. 

LIES!

You can't hide it forever.

18 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

People can bring their lawn chairs.

• 1 month later...

Looks like you can scratch Vancouver from any hosting in September.  Canada vs US in international rugby lined up for BC Place on September 7th now, ahead of the Rugby World Cup.  Being a rugby fan as well, I'm ok with this. :D