CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

If they are smart, Cuba in Toronto and USA in Montreal

I personally don't think it matters. The smart part should come in based on how they allocate the tickets to that game. 

Montreal, Toronto, and or Vancouver - the American in laws will be there. 

I just want it on the east coast so that its easier for me to go. (which is everyone's valid argument) 

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

I personally don't think it matters. The smart part should come in based on how they allocate the tickets to that game. 

I just want it on the east coast so that its easier for me to go. (which is everyone's valid argument) 

Toronto will feel somewhat like home and definitely familiar for Altidore and Bradley. Montreal is better a truly away venue.

I agree that fans will go regardless where the game is played (so will we) but no need to make some of them more comfortable that they need to be.

Other associations are strategic about this details, we have to start doing the same.

In the last WCQ, when the USMNT got crushed by Costa Rica at home, the USSF got heat from fans and analyst for the choice of venue which felt like a split crowd. Different circumstances here but it matters to some extend and since we aren't Mexico or Brazil, every tiny details matters.

Edited by Ansem

39 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree it doesn't matter but not because the Americans will show up. They won't - at least in any significant numbers. They haven't in the past to matches played in Canada. Nowadays, they think the Canadian team is crap, so nothing worthy to see.

Plus, Nations League isn't really on their radar, lack of qualifying has taken a big slice away frm their support and nothing exciting of note has been done by their new manager so far.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Canada vs USA October 15 @730pm in Toronto...

You heard it hear first! 

That seems like a reasonable educated guess now that we now the kick-off is at 7:30 pm Eastern - which precludes locations like Edmonton and Vancouver.

The 8 pm Eastern match against Cuba on Saturday September 7 is harder to predict - if they were playing in the Eastern time zone, I'd hope they'd play earlier on a Saturday - though that does avoid the late-summer heat.

I'm guessing though that the Cuba match will be in Edmonton or Vancouver - I'm not getting the vibe that both games will be in the Eastern time zone.

24 minutes ago, nfitz said:

That seems like a reasonable educated guess now that we now the kick-off is at 7:30 pm Eastern - which precludes locations like Edmonton and Vancouver.

The 8 pm Eastern match against Cuba on Saturday September 7 is harder to predict - if they were playing in the Eastern time zone, I'd hope they'd play earlier on a Saturday - though that does avoid the late-summer heat.

I'm guessing though that the Cuba match will be in Edmonton or Vancouver - I'm not getting the vibe that both games will be in the Eastern time zone.

Putting that game in Vancouver or Edmonton would be placing an unneeded amount of excess travel on the European players given that the whole team will be in Havana 3 days later.

"Wanderers boss Stephen Hart has touted his club's carefully manicured grass pitch as a competitive edge for his squad."

9pm Halifax time? Direct flight Halifax to Cuba? 

Any chance of Calgary? Winnipeg? I'm thinking Edmonton if they go West...with CPL fanbase ramping up and 2026 World Cup host. 

Of all my criticism of turf... I think it actually gives us an advantage over Cuba.... Not sure how many Cubans have actually even played on turf, let alone regularly. Where as all the Canadians would have played on it at some point.

Edited by apbsmith

42 minutes ago, RS said:

Putting that game in Vancouver or Edmonton would be placing an unneeded amount of excess travel on the European players given that the whole team will be in Havana 3 days later.

Yes - though stresses Cuban players too  -  perhaps more so as none play in leagues outside of Cuba or Central America, so the travel is something they are even less use to.

I've becoming cynical enough though, that I don't think that's a significant factor in CSA planning - and that the $ or the coach's personal preference are bigger factors.

Edited by nfitz

41 minutes ago, narduch said:

I would think the match times are changeable. 

They surely are ... but it's clear that there's been some thought behind them, and CONCACAF didn't just pull them out of their imagination.

They surely reflect CSA's recent, if not current, thinking.

Edited by nfitz

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

They surely are ... but it's clear that there's been some thought behind them, and CONCACAF didn't just pull them out of their imagination.

They surely reflect CSA's recent, if not current, thinking.

Which really means the venues are already set.

Just the fans don't know yet.

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

Gonna point out again that September 7th (now the confirmed date of the Cuba game) is unavailable for Vancouver to host, as the Canadian men's rugby team is playing in BC Place that day.

This board pre-2015: "Turf is the worst and players will never play on it ever."

This board during the 2015 Women's World Cup: "Why are the women complaining about turf?  It's fine!  They should stop complaining."

This board post World Cup: "Every men's game should be played only on grass because the players hate playing on turf."

17 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Why are you randomly bringing up turf?  Did I miss a discussion?

I think nobody complains about the MNT playing in Vancouver.  The crowd support is always good and that’s important.

Every time venue comes up people complain about turf and say how the players hate the turf and how are national team should never play on turf. Also people always complain about playing in Vancouver because players would rather play by their families in Ontario/Quebec.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Gonna point out again that September 7th (now the confirmed date of the Cuba game) is unavailable for Vancouver to host, as the Canadian men's rugby team is playing in BC Place that day.

Ah - I checked for CFL - but not rugby!

Interesting. Both at BMO? One at Saputo? Commonwealth? 

Halifax would be cool, but neither kick-off time suggests an Atlantic time-zone game.

17 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Sadly there is not a direct fligth Halifax - Havana . The only chance is via Toronto or Montreal

Thx, well I stand corrected, I thought someone metion there was? 

How about direct from Winnipeg, Edmonton or Calgary? 

14 hours ago, nfitz said:

Surely the national team would have a charter, from wherever leg 1 is played to leg 2.

Let the Cubans fly coach. Hmm ... Iqaluit?

Why book a charter when you get the entire team there for under 25k ;).

Although if we flew charter and Cuba flew coach with multiple layovers on 3-4 days rest... That's smart :).