CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Hotter than Dominica? Cause Toronto got at least 10K for them.

Seriously, less than 5K for Montreal is terrible. It was almost embarrassing being there. Personally I’d rather every game in Montreal, would mean I’d be able to attend every game, but we need way better support than that.

I  don't think that it's fair to compare the attendance for a friendly with the attendance for a qualification match.

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If the Cuba games are indeed home and away, I'm not sure why anyone thinks we'd do differently than play where Canada always plays similar home games.

Bradenton Florida.

... I'll get my coat ...

Thank the lord you used home & away.   

The CPL is as much a Canada Soccer venture as a private enterprise, or feels like it at least so if these fixtures get pointed in the general direction of CPL venues I wouldn't be surprised. 

BMO Field is, and should be, the hands down favourate regardless.  I actually quite like Saputo Stadium and if CPL is exploring opportunities in Montreal...

Vancouver is out.  No.  If the 'Caps will put up with that surface God Bless 'em but until BC Place takes their footie responsibilities a little more seriously they shouldn't be allowed to abuse our National Team players anymore.  Somebody tell me a re-lay is scheduled for sooner rather than later.  Please. 

17 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Whats the reason why BC place doesn't have grass? If it did, it could be the favourite. 

Car show, boat show, home show, show show, .......

There are probably more conventions in there than all sports games combined. 

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

The bc lions, football has a tendency to destroy the grass. Im guessing that’s why bmo is a hybrid field.

Yup, you can maintain a great field in bad conditions like they do in England and elsewhere but when you have an american football team playing on it, good luck. 

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

The bc lions, football has a tendency to destroy the grass. Im guessing that’s why bmo is a hybrid field.

This aint it either... 

Toronto fc and argos have done fine to my dismay. Again the field has only be bad 1 year because of TFCs long CCL run. 

1 hour ago, admin said:

Car show, boat show, home show, show show, .......

There are probably more conventions in there than all sports games combined. 

Ahhh this is it. Makes complete sense. 

Reminds me of the Rogers Centre grass issues. 

10 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

This aint it big guy. 

Yes it is, big guy.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180729/news/667236/the-perils-and-perks-of-adding-a-retractable-roof-to-ford-field

Wood said the field itself would likely remain artificial turf and not be replaced by natural grass, which normally cannot grow indoors. A field drainage system likely would have to be added, too.

It is your goal on this forum to be an utter jackass.

Edited by PopePouri

16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

This aint it either... 

Toronto fc and argos have done fine to my dismay. Again the field has only be bad 1 year because of TFCs long CCL run. 

They got away with the ground share for a bit because the Argos didn’t play in any real bad weather, last season was different though, you could see the field was torn up by gridiron hence why they are going to try a hybrid pitch!

Here's my thoughts...

USA game:  I think competitiveness and local support should be a bigger consideration than revenue potential.  Strong pro-Canadian support in a packed stadium anywhere in Canada would be a good marketing look no matter where it's hosted, much better than a stadium half-full of Americans.  

- Edmonton (more difficult for Americans to get to en masse, potential for large pro-Canadian crowd, relatively long standing NASL/CPL market, hasn't hosted a game in awhile; Cons: turf and flights to Europe)

- Montreal (grass, likely pro-Canadian crowd, direct flights and less travel time to/from Europe, good training facility; Cons: smaller stadium, historically variable support for CMNT, close to USA and travelling fans)

Cuba game:  Play the climate advantage, depending on when it's scheduled.

- Toronto (BMO is the 'home' of CMNT, grass, climate advantage in fall, easy travel to/from Europe; Cons: how many casuals will come out to see Cuba?)

- Hamilton (similar climate and close to Toronto, CPL foundation club, pro-Canadian crowd)

- Winnipeg (cold in the fall, CPL foundation club, pro-Canadian crowd; Cons: travel and flights to Europe)

Out:

Vancouver (distance for European teams, turf, and hosted lots of games recently)

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

While there are plans to sew about 3% artificial fibres into the 100% grass pitch, BMO has never had a hybrid pitch yet - unless it's been done in the last few days.

TFC posted this image today.

D219YvpU0AAbooZ.jpg

I think you want to use the US match to maximize exposure for the CMNT and with that, play in Toronto at BMO. You could have guys on all the major media outlets, all the major morning shows, talk shows etc during the week. CTV, Global, TSN etc, this would be hugely valuable for the program. The US match offers the CSA the platform to really up its game and push the envelope like the never had before. With the World Cup only 7 years away, take advantage of it, start the momentum now.