CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Why book a charter when you get the entire team there for under 25k

Would it be much more expensive to charter? Quickly looking a 35-seat jet from Pearson to Miami is about $39K one way and $44K  return. Flying time to Havana is similar ... pricing seems to be about $5K more ...

My educated guess is Cuba in Toronto (99.9% confident, as both the MLS and CFL schedules are open that weekend at BMO). 

As for the USA game,  personally I would like it to be at BMO (if marketed properly would be good, plus the added feature of Jozy and Bradley playing as visitors at their home stadium) but, I could also see the USA game being given to Winnipeg or even Hamilton (as a reward from the CSA for their CPL investments) 

What are the grass CPL options? Halifax? Where else? I thought York was artificial turf, but looking at tonight's game, it seems to be turning brown ... though I guess if they play in Toronto, there are other choices. :)

Plenty of asterisks to this, but I've got a fun fact for people assuming the game against USA will be a sell out no matter where it is.

The highest attendance for a game in Canada against the American men's team is... 15,453 in Vancouver at Empire Stadium in 1976.

The asterisks are that there has only been one such game in the last 20 years, and it was a friendly (at BMO field in 2012). I don't know what the capacity is/was at Swanguard, but the last game there against the USA was a World Cup Qualifier and it drew 8,420. I have no idea if that would have been a sell out or not.

Only 3 of 12 games against USMNT in Canada have broken the 10k barrier.

I HOPE we could sell out a game against them at places like BMO, Commonwealth, or BC Place, but that is a lot of tickets to sell and I don't think it would be a slam dunk, especially for Nations League rather than WCQ.

Edited by Kent
Correction. Thanks to70

The exhibition game vs the US at BMO was in June 2012 with 15247 in attendance. There was a pretty large contingent of American fans as they even did a march to the stadium. That year all 3 WC qualifiers were at BMO with attendances of 16132 for Honduras, 17586 Panama and 17712 for Cuba. I know that I attended at least 3 of the 4 games. Pretty sure there was a couple of Cuban players that defected prior to the game.

24 minutes ago, to70 said:

The exhibition game vs the US at BMO was in June 2012 with 15247 in attendance. There was a pretty large contingent of American fans as they even did a march to the stadium. That year all 3 WC qualifiers were at BMO with attendances of 16132 for Honduras, 17586 Panama and 17712 for Cuba. I know that I attended at least 3 of the 4 games. Pretty sure there was a couple of Cuban players that defected prior to the game.

That's correct. They played the game without any substitutes!

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

And the goalie was actually listed as a defender on original roster. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1175592

Let's not discuss the game after Cuba game please.

That reminds me of when Adam Straith had to go in net after Simon Thomas was injured in a friendly against Bermuda in 2017. It feels like such a long time ago to me!

7 hours ago, to70 said:

Ack, yes of course it was 2012. I did the research on the attendances, then rushed to slap the 2014 on there by faulty memory, without thinking apparently. I was at all 4 of those games in Toronto that year, and I knew it was part of the 2014 qualifying campaign, and therefor not in 2014. Anyways, corrected. Thanks.

6 hours ago, apbsmith said:

And the goalie was actually listed as a defender on original roster. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1175592

Let's not discuss the game after Cuba game please.

I was at the Cuba match at BMO, the warning signs were there for me as we won an undisciplined match against a depleted side in the cold with no subs, we should have won that match by a much larger score, sadly in the end it didn't matter!

The attendance for those was good in part to the push with the youth clubs in the area through CSA and Umbro. I know that the club i was involved with had a large section for each of the games. We got our tickets through Umbro as our club was using their uniforms aqs well.  Hope that is done with Nike as well. They own Umbro now anyways (I think).