CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

On 5/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, Blackjack15 said:

By the looks of it, the start times – VS Cuba it will be in Toronto (BMO Field) and VS USA in Vancouver (BC Place)

7:30 eastern makes think Toronto/Montreal. I just think the US game anywhere other than Toronto is a lost opportunity for the CSA. 

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I've said it many times but I'm all for having 50% of the games in Toronto, a couple more than usual in Vancouver and spread the rest around. 

I think it should be split evenly as possible between the 3 mls markets, maybe a bit less to Montreal, and then have the odd game in one of the other markets like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton.

14 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think Toronto is probably the most pro American Canadian city so I feel like it would be better in Vancouver/Montreal.

I just the marketing and media exposure that could be created by the US game in Toronto is too much to pass up. You will have the chance to put the players especially Alphonso on the morning tv circuit, talk radio etc. The story line of Jozy and Michael on their home field facing Canada will create buzz. The CSA is stupid if you don't do this.

14 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I just the marketing and media exposure that could be created by the US game in Toronto is too much to pass up. You will have the chance to put the players especially Alphonso on the morning tv circuit, talk radio etc. The story line of Jozy and Michael on their home field facing Canada will create buzz. The CSA is stupid if you don't do this.

This isn’t really a good thing to have players who are familiar with the pitch and also have the home fans behind them. Also Toronto isn’t the only place they film news channels which I assume is what you mean by morning tv circuit.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

This isn’t really a good thing to have players who are familiar with the pitch and also have the home fans behind them. Also Toronto isn’t the only place they film news channels which I assume is what you mean by morning tv circuit.

This really holds no water. It's a guess.

I would wager Altidore and Bradley would get booed mercilessly. Sure they would know we don't actually hate them, but they'd get good natured booing. 

... now if marky delgago makes the squad, that will be actual booing. 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:40 AM, SkuseisLoose said:

Familiar with the pitch... 

I think Jozys body is still trying to get familiar with the pitch

For this nations league, I would play USA at BMO and Cuba at Vancouver.

I think CPL stadiums are great options for friendlies or youth national team games. If successful, perhaps one of them becomes a strategic option for a future WCQ match.

As an aside, Hamilton is interesting. On one hand, if you're going to play in or around the GTA, you gotta play at BMO if it is available, but on the other hand Hamilton allows you to take advantage of the Toronto market even if BMO is unavailable.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m convinced the Wanderers ground should host a match.  Maybe against Cuba as they won’t draw anyhow.

Didn't we have 17K for French G ?  Cuba is bigger draw than French G.  Though it would depend largely on time/day.

Even Dominica drew 10K in Toronto on I think a Tuesday, and we played them TWICE in less than two years...

With that in mind I don't think either senior national team can play in any small stadium, friendly or not.  Those days are done, and that is a good thing. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think CPL stadiums are great options for friendlies or youth national team games. If successful, perhaps one of them becomes a strategic option for a future WCQ match.

As an aside, Hamilton is interesting. On one hand, if you're going to play in or around the GTA, you gotta play at BMO if it is available, but on the other hand Hamilton allows you to take advantage of the Toronto market even if BMO is unavailable.

I think the Cuba match will be played on the east coast for the sake of travel for the Cuban team. As I’m pretty sure there’s direct flights from Cuba to Toronto/Montreal

Edited by SkuseisLoose

3 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think Cuba will be played on the east coast for the sake of travel for the Cuban team. As I’m pretty sure there’s direct flights from Cuba to Toronto/Montreal

Or maybe we should play on the west coast knowing that we can (maybe) get to Havana more efficiently. 

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

Or maybe we should play on the west coast knowing that we can (maybe) get to Havana more efficiently. 

Why, what do we gain from this besides hampering a small nation that we are going to beat 99 times out of a 100 with our current team.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Is that actually the case?  Flight time from Toronto to Cuba is I think a little over three hours if I remember correctly.  It can't possibly be faster from Vancouver

2 hours ago, admin said:

Didn't we have 17K for French G ?  Cuba is bigger draw than French G.  Though it would depend largely on time/day.

Even Dominica drew 10K in Toronto on I think a Tuesday, and we played them TWICE in less than two years...

With that in mind I don't think either senior national team can play in any small stadium, friendly or not.  Those days are done, and that is a good thing. 

I'll add that it was a Cold! October Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Is that actually the case?  Flight time from Toronto to Cuba is I think a little over three hours if I remember correctly.  It can't possibly be faster from Vancouver

More efficiently than our opponents... lol.  No you cannot get from Vancouver to Havana quicker than Toronto.

Also factor in that most of the Cuban team will have never experienced changing time zones between matches (other than those that come back from the gold cup).  Could be an advantage for us. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

For those with poor geography...

(Vancouver) YVR to HAV = 4595 km

(Toronto) YYZ to HAV = 2310 km

(Montréal) YUL to HAV = 2616 km

(Halifax) YHZ to HAV = 2976 km

BTW, we may be on the same flight to Havana as the Cuba team; saves everybody money.

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For those with poor geography...

(Vancouver) YVR to HAV = 4595 km

(Toronto) YYZ to HAV = 2310 km

(Montréal) YUL to HAV = 2616 km

(Halifax) YHZ to HAV = 2976 km

BTW, we may be on the same flight to Havana as the Cuba team; saves everybody money.

I've heard the players have already put in a formal request to keep you off their plane.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

As mentioned previously. Vancouver can’t host the Cuba match at BC Place due to conflicts with Rugby. Also doesn’t make sense travel wise. I did the Vancouver-Cuba flight not too long ago and it’s a solid 6 hours. 

Vancouver May have gotten the Cuba match and Toronto the USA but I think the way it shakes out they’ll flip them.

the USA home match is on a Tuesday night so it won’t be an easy match to sell so I can’t see them going outside of Vancouver Toronto for this one.