CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

I think you want to use the US match to maximize exposure for the CMNT and with that, play in Toronto at BMO. You could have guys on all the major media outlets, all the major morning shows, talk shows etc during the week. CTV, Global, TSN etc, this would be hugely valuable for the program. The US match offers the CSA the platform to really up its game and push the envelope like the never had before. With the World Cup only 7 years away, take advantage of it, start the momentum now.

This. Up to 9 of our starting 11 against the USA probably will be Ontario (majority GTA) born or residing in the province. The only exceptions being Arfield and Davies. I think those players would be pumped to play in Toronto. I agree that Canada Soccer will be looking to milk this opportunity media wise and there is no better stage for that than TO....and if we get a win ...well 

12 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Generally, I’m in favour of playing about half or games at BMO in Toronto and spread the rest around. 

Id say Cuba in Toronto

US in Montreal/Edmonton/Vancouver

and don’t forget, while a NL game against is huge. WCQ is just around the corner.

You would want to go with Cuba in Montreal in my mind, a match that is not going to draw anywhere as close as the US match would. Or maybe even try Hamilton or Winnipeg on the his heals of the first CPL season. The US match on so many levels makes total sense for Toronto where you can maximize it exposure and for Canadian soccer in general. Its a big opportunity for the CSA, hopefully the don't pass it by. 

21 hours ago, gator said:

They got away with the ground share for a bit because the Argos didn’t play in any real bad weather, last season was different though, you could see the field was torn up by gridiron hence why they are going to try a hybrid pitch!

The pitch was torn up in TFC's CCL games in February and March and never had time to recover.

21 hours ago, gator said:

They got away with the ground share for a bit because the Argos didn’t play in any real bad weather, last season was different though, you could see the field was torn up by gridiron hence why they are going to try a hybrid pitch!

The pitch was torn up in TFC's CCL games in February and March and never had time to recover.

Countries like Germany , Italy, and Spain , tend to have there national teams play in different cites, I am hoping that Canada does  the same thing in the future.  As far as this Nations League  goes play the US in TORONTO believe me BMO will sell out and there will be a lot of media attention for that.  vs Cuba play it in a smaller venue like halifax

As much as I want Vancouver to have a soccer specific stadium, I'm kinda glad that the waterfront stadium was never built as I feel it would mean we'd rarely have national teams games come out here. This would be due to points other people have made such as larger flight trips from Europe and being far away from majority of Canadians. Right now what we have going for us is we have a massive stadium that can potentially hold upwards of 50,000 people, with the waterfront stadium there'd likely be no more seats than BMO, and while it would be grass and soccer specific, there'd be no reason to fly all the way to Vancouver when you can get all the same at BMO or Saputo.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

As much as I want Vancouver to have a soccer specific stadium, I'm kinda glad that the waterfront stadium was never built as I feel it would mean we'd rarely have national teams games come out here. This would be due to points other people have made such as larger flight trips from Europe and being far away from majority of Canadians. Right now what we have going for us is we have a massive stadium that can potentially hold upwards of 50,000 people, with the waterfront stadium there'd likely be no more seats than BMO, and while it would be grass and soccer specific, there'd be no reason to fly all the way to Vancouver when you can get all the same at BMO or Saputo.

BC place is also an indoor stadium which is huge. 

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Not really.  The players want to play on grass.  How often would a game not be played at a maintained stadium?  If BMO can be retrofitted to play games in February, a properly built stadium in Vancouver could play all year without a problem. 

The Whitecaps would be a different team on grass, it would be better soccer.   It would be win win. 

It is a f*(^%&*ing crime that stadium was not built. 

This whole thread is sad, sorry to say. Probably nothing makes me more depressed by Canadians thinking of any reason possible to not get maximum sporting advantage out of a venue decision. 

I want no Americans in the stands, a hostile environment, and conditions that will benefit us in terms of results, nothing else. 

For me, the best spot would be a smaller stadium in a place hard to get to for the US and their fans. Or a place we could sell out with our fans before they even get to the tickets.

I frankly find arguments like players wanting to play close to where their aunts live, basically Brampton, so they can get a home meal, is totally assinine and in fact insulting to their professionality.

I like the idea of Cuba in Halifax, great proposal. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This whole thread is sad, sorry to say. Probably nothing makes me more depressed by Canadians thinking of any reason possible to not get maximum sporting advantage out of a venue decision. 

I want no Americans in the stands, a hostile environment, and conditions that will benefit us in terms of results, nothing else. 

For me, the best spot would be a smaller stadium in a place hard to get to for the US and their fans. Or a place we could sell out with our fans before they even get to the tickets.

I frankly find arguments like players wanting to play close to where their aunts live, basically Brampton, so they can get a home meal, is totally assinine and in fact insulting to their professionality.

I like the idea of Cuba in Halifax, great proposal. 

Me personally i think the right ratio of home/supporters makes an event. In order to raise the profile of Football in this country we need these big events. Im pretty sure a couple thousand American socca fans being drowned out by a far larger group and better looking group of Canadians would not affect the psychology of our players. Lets give them a bit of credit. That goes for wherever the game is played. Unless we want to keep playing the french guianas of the world. If we play against any teams of relevance we'll have to accept there will always be an away presence. Im good with it. In fact i welcome it

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Me personally i think the right ratio of home/supporters makes an event. In order to raise the profile of Football in this country we need these big events. Im pretty sure a couple thousand American socca fans being drowned out by a far larger group and better looking group of Canadians would not affect the psychology of our players. Lets give them a bit of credit. That goes for wherever the game is played. Unless we want to keep playing the french guianas of the world. If we play against any teams of relevance we'll have to accept there will always be an away presence. Im good with it. In fact i welcome it

The argument should be made that maybe we should have fan attendance/presence at away games!

55 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Fuck no.  I want those Americans fucking silent. 

I do like the American Outlaws and Sam's Army folks.  I have chatted with many of them and the people running things have always been really helpful when I have asked them questions. 

But during that 90 minutes, I would rather own the stadium. 

10 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

And so is the Rogers Center....and its 50k which is huge. 

Not really a valid comparison. You can hate on BC Place as you want but it’s hosted a WCF. I doubt they’d play a friendly at Rogers Center.

I still maintain that most games should be played at BMO but when there is threat of snow (ie November games) play it at BC Place (unless we use it for some strategic advantage). And if it’s easilt going to be a crowd of 45k + then Vancouver is an easy choice.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Really? Thats kinda lame. Maybe because im use to the Cascadia atmosphere but having 1000 of the opposing teams supporters in the stadium always makes for the best vibe

It’s fun when they’re separate but whenaway fans are scattered throughout the stadium it’s much less so. 

31 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Really? Thats kinda lame. Maybe because im use to the Cascadia atmosphere but having 1000 of the opposing teams supporters in the stadium always makes for the best vibe

Nope.  Have you been there at a US game?  They are extremely organized, put us to shame. They really do. 

The resources the supporters have at their disposal might exceed the budget of our men's national team.  

3 hours ago, admin said:

Nope.  Have you been there at a US game?  They are extremely organized, put us to shame. They really do. 

The resources the supporters have at their disposal might exceed the budget of our men's national team.  

Been where? All ive seen is them put to shame lately. Theyve been drawing flies lately.

There is no way they would come to BC Place and put anyone to shame 

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, admin said:

Fuck no.  I want those Americans fucking silent. 

I do like the American Outlaws and Sam's Army folks.  I have chatted with many of them and the people running things have always been really helpful when I have asked them questions. 

But during that 90 minutes, I would rather own the stadium. 

100%, or say 97%.

Those fuckers on the USMNT get every damn Gold Cup at home, they sleep in their country and the press says us and here and we all damn day into their ears. And then FIFA gives them ranking points on those games as if they were on neutral ground.

Don't folks think that is just about enough pandering and slothering over them?

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Really? Thats kinda lame. Maybe because im use to the Cascadia atmosphere but having 1000 of the opposing teams supporters in the stadium always makes for the best vibe

The best vibe is where you let them have 54-% of tickets in one section, tell anyone with other than Canada gear outside of it will be removed--then ensure a hostile enough environment that even those 5% think twice about coming, leaving the section empty.

Geez you guys are no fun. Build a wall and play the game in Nunavut then. There was probably 15k Mexicans at bc place, we got hammered and other than the result I had a great time. I actually expect to beat the Americans

But then again when the Canadian team plays back east not a lot of people come out so it must be a bit of a different experience. So i guess i understand how you feel

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Been where? All ive seen is them put to shame lately. Theyve been drawing flies lately.

There is no way they would come to BC Place and put anyone to shame 

This. The Americans aren't coming in droves. They never have to Canada matches.

Plus today, they're disillusioned with their national team and their federation. Attendance is in decline. Ratings are off. There is very little talk about coming to Canada on their sites - all the interest is about if there is any chance they can get to Cuba. Most are behind the curve and think Canada is just Davies and some journeyman MLS guys.

US will need a good performance in terms of results and style during the Gold Cup to gin up any interest.

Edited by red card

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Probably nothing makes me more depressed by Canadians thinking of any reason possible to not get maximum sporting advantage out of a venue decision. 

1 million %. Run some friendlies or something else to pay the bills if you want attendance $.

Use these competive Nation League games to find out if future potential venue works,  ensure players like it, and there is amazing home support. That way in a pivotal WCQ it can be 100% maximized home field advantage for us the CMNT.

My current optimal home stadium selection for all CONCACAF opponents.

USA - Montreal

Mexico - Halifax

Jamaica - Victoria

* Every other team BMO or Montreal * (Include Edmonton in 2026 with grass field lol)

BC place was great with 50k+ vs Mexico, 20k+ & 20k+ vs Honduras & El Salvador for last WCQ. However, I do appoligize to those in BC, but IMO our player quality is not maximized playing on a turf ping pong field. Simply a quality grass field will do.

Thoughts on the optimal home field stadium selection ?

Edited by apbsmith
Include Edmonton

40 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

1 million %. Run some friendlies or something else to pay the bills if you want attendance $.

Use these competive Nation League games to find out if future potential venue works,  ensure players like it, and there is amazing home support. That way in a pivotal WCQ it can be 100% maximized home field advantage for us the CMNT.

My current optimal home stadium selection for all CONCACAF opponents.

USA - Montreal

Mexico - Halifax

Jamaica - Victoria

* Every other team BMO or Montreal * (Include Edmonton in 2026 with grass field lol)

BC place was great with 50k+ vs Mexico, 20k+ & 20k+ vs Honduras & El Salvador for last WCQ. However, I do appoligize to those in BC, but IMO our player quality is not maximized playing on a turf ping pong field. Simply a quality grass field will do.

Thoughts on the optimal home field stadium selection ?

Honestly I don’t care if we don’t play in Vancouver all the time, but to cut us out completely is just kinda sad, especially when you’re willing to go to Victoria where I’m 90% sure there is a turf field. Also the chance of Mexico in Halifax is next to 0; there’s a better chance Winnipeg becomes the national team stadium and we play all our games there.