Jump to content
hamiltonfan

CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I have a feeling the US game will be in Vancouver. Nothing against anyone else but time of year and the visuals of sold out BC Place really sells the national team. There would be a ton of Americas there. Low Can $ and Cascadia fans always complain about how thw US national team rarely plays there. Not a good thingbut would make for a cracking atmosphere

What about the turf? Isn't one of the reason Godhino didn't play?

Also, turf makes sense against Caribbean and Central American teams that hate playing on it but that doesn't really apply to Americans. Also, all that Seattle crowd travelling there...

Prefer Montreal's cold or Halifax isolation.

Result matters more...that should be the mindset anyways

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for clarity its not just Seattle. Portland and all of Cascadia would probably travel in for that. Driving in from Bellingham on a weekend folks would be at the stadium in 40 mins if they left early in the morning

 

I dont mind turf. We play year round out here so i can barely remember playing on grass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Just for clarity its not just Seattle. Portland and all of Cascadia would probably travel in for that. Driving in from Bellingham on a weekend folks would be at the stadium in 40 mins if they left early in the morning

Playing in Vancouver to cater to the Americans? That aint it chief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Playing in Vancouver to cater to the Americans? That aint it chief

Im not saying that. Im just saying there will be huge demand for the game because Cascadian American fans feel they dont get many national team games. Luckily BC always supports our national team. 17k to watch FG with zero away support.

 

Im saying BC Place would be rocking with 55k people jammed in there. It would be an absolute spectacle 

 

30k at BMO wrapped in parka jackets and scarfs just doesnt compare. Sorry

 

Besides if people in Toronto want to watch Americans play football they just have to go to a TFC game

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Love the idea of the Cuba game in a CPL market

Which ones fulfill FIFA requirements? Which ones don't?

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/01/87/54/21/1875421_DOWNLOAD.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100501692/FIFA-Football-Stadiums-Technical-recommendation-and-requirements-5th-edition

 

Winnipeg or Edmonton seem possible.

Hamilton - just play it in Toronto instead.

The others...not so much? (If you want to sell 8500+ tickets vs Cuba that is).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would like to see us utilize location strategically.  I am not as informed as many on here about barriers and possibilities, but something like Commonwealth in Edmonton might be far enough to deter US fans from traveling.  Anything right along the border risks a huge influx.  

How quickly we forget the days when Commonwealth was our home stadium and drew <10,000 fans in a 60,000 seat stadium. I'll take 5,000 or 6,000 US fans at bc place to get drowned out by 45,000 of us, and I would assume our players would take that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

30k at BMO wrapped in parka jackets and scarfs just doesnt compare. Sorry

 

So play the game at the Big O if you're adamant on our national team playing on turf.  Players travel time and being close to family and friends is more important than creating a welcoming environment for the Americans. You're trying to make this a BC > Toronto thing..there's no need for that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KW519 said:

 

So play the game at the Big O if you're adamant on our national team playing on turf.  Players travel time and being close to family and friends is more important than creating a welcoming environment for the Americans. You're trying to make this a BC > Toronto thing..there's no need for that. 

 

Yah not what i said. Im saying ill take turf over a game looking like a Grey Cup game in Winnipeg. US v Canada will feature so much high level talent, i wouldnt want it waisted with terrible conditions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be the homer, and I would much rather put 25 in BMO for this, but putting 8 thousand in Halifax would certainly be a home field advantage.

 

The question is, can you get that mid week? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ill point out a couple things with peace and love 

 

1) how much money would the CSA be leaving on the table by not putting it in 55k BC Place?

 

2) its been said that WC games in Vancouver could still possibly happen. CSA and Concacaf working with gov owned BC Place to stage a major int soccer game could go a long way to bringing people together. Just a thought

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so every saying this will be a sellout if at bc place. how is the support for the us on away games? i know mexico had like  20k show up for their game at bc place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpursFlu said:

Ill point out a couple things with peace and love 

 

1) how much money would the CSA be leaving on the table by not putting it in 55k BC Place?

 

2) its been said that WC games in Vancouver could still possibly happen. CSA and Concacaf working with gov owned BC Place to stage a major int soccer game could go a long way to bringing people together. Just a thought

1) not as much as you think depending on the day. it would cost more than toronto and might lose tv funds as has been discussed. it's fully possible a toronto match makes the csa more cash. i've gone into this

2) nah bc ****** themselves outta that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If godinho cant play on turf hopefully its just for this season and not long term as would be difficult for a club to give a contract to a player in this situation and who is not a difference maker..different story than a drogba or ibrahimovic at 37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Honestly I wouldn't consider the game in BMO unless it's confirmed the hybrid turf field that injured a bunch of TFC players last year is officially resolved. (Official as in 15+ games played on it).

Winnipeg- Victoria or Halifax, would all be pretty cool for the Cuba game

Victoria or Halifax = proper marketing and literally you could get half the city knowing about the game.

Halifax = reasonable travel from NA based players and euro based players(less time zones), weather favor us over Cubans. Direct flight to Cuba for home and home.

Winnipeg = proper marketing, stadium would be excellent turn out, def weather advantage. 

Honestly it's something to consider with all 3 of these CPL venues for a potential WCQ. This is a great opportunity to "test it" for trial runs for WCQ. Sell out in Halifax/ vs Honduras or El Salvedor or Mexico in WCQ = minimal away support and logistically it's an annoying travel for their domestic based players.

 

Edited by apbsmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Honestly I wouldn't even have the game in BMO unless it's confirmed the hybrid turf field that injured a bunch of TFC players last year is officially resolved. (Official as in 15+ games played on it).

Winnipeg- Victoria or Halifax, would all be pretty cool for the Cuba game

Victoria or Halifax = proper marketing and literally you could get half the city knowing about the game.

Only knock on Victoria is the travel in my opinion, def would not have to worry about opposing fans.

Halifax = reasonable travel from NA based players and euro based players(less time zones), weather favor us over Cubans. Direct flight to Cuba for home and home.

Winnipeg = proper marketing, stadium would be excellent turn out, def weather advantage. 

Honestly it's something to consider with all 3 of these CPL venues for a potential WCQ. This is a great opportunity to "test it" for trial runs for WCQ. 

Sell out in Halifax/ vs Honduras or El Salvedor or Mexico in WCQ = minimal away support and logistically it's an annoying travel for their domestic based players.

 

What hybrid turf did TFC players get injured on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Im not saying that. Im just saying there will be huge demand for the game because Cascadian American fans feel they dont get many national team games. Luckily BC always supports our national team. 17k to watch FG with zero away support.

 

Im saying BC Place would be rocking with 55k people jammed in there. It would be an absolute spectacle 

 

30k at BMO wrapped in parka jackets and scarfs just doesnt compare. Sorry

 

Besides if people in Toronto want to watch Americans play football they just have to go to a TFC game

Are you trolling?

You pulled 20K on a Friday night for the first game of World Cup Qualifying against a rival after getting Hoilett and Arfield.

It's nice. It's respectable. But it's not so good that artificial turf and 3 time zones should be ignored to make YVR should be a permanent home. 
 

Also, Sprurs are ****. :D:D:D

Edited by Califax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry, pardon my ignorance. Perhaps a TFC supporter could clarify the field issues a bit more for me. 

Two summers ago the BMO field was solid. 

Last year, I remember reading an article about TFC players getting constantly injured  and quiet complaints about field quality.... But essentially they stopped complaining because next year(2019) the field would be fixed? 

So has the field issues been resolved? 

I don't watch much MLS, more this year cause we have more Canadians regularly playing.  However, I did watch the game in the fall vs Tigres(believe that was September), sand was literally flying up on the field. 

It's fairly easy to fix the quality of the field (just expensive), anyone know when BMO is planning to do this? I thought that was happening this year? 

Thanks

Edited by apbsmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Sorry, pardon my ignorance. Perhaps a TFC supporter could clarify the field issues a bit more for me. 

Two summers ago the BMO field was solid. 

Last year, I remember reading an article about TFC players getting constantly injured  and discreet complaints about field quality.... But essentially stopped complaining because next year(2019) the field would be fixed? 

So has the field issues been resolved? 

I don't watch much MLS, more this year cause we have more Canadians regularly playing.  However, I did watch the game in the fall vs Tigres(believe that was September), sand was literally flying up on the field. 

It's fairly easy to fix the quality of the field (just expensive), anyone know when BMO is planning to do this? I thought that was happening this year? 

Thanks

Argos! The hybrid surface is being installed this season, it wasn’t in yet for the CCL match!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...