CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

As much as I would like Hamilton to host some MNT matches it doesn't make any sense if BMO is available, I did feel we should have played Mexico outdoors in March last time around when we chose BC Place, Hamilton or Ottawa would have been good Eastern outdoor options if we were going to play on turf!

6 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

Not to detail, but has anyone heard anything about USA away in terms of venue? An away trip in the southern USA in November is very appealing! 

The same rumour that suggested Vancouver for USA/Canada at home suggested St Louis for USA/Canada Away

On 6/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

I think the Cuba match will be played on the east coast for the sake of travel for the Cuban team. As I’m pretty sure there’s direct flights from Cuba to Toronto/Montreal

They'd still have to fly from Toronto and Montreal to the east coast though ... but surely CSA would have a direct charter ...

Though Toronto is a bit closer than Montreal, or even the East Coast.

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

They'd still have to fly from Toronto and Montreal to the east coast though ... but surely CSA would have a direct charter ...

Though Toronto is a bit closer than Montreal, or even the East Coast.

I don’t know if your making a joke, and I did word it badly but what I meant by east coast was Montreal/Toronto.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, admin said:

Having done multiple games in Hamilton.... it does not allow you to take much advantage of the Toronto market. 

Hamilton is a good place to have a game.  Stadium and staff are great, it is a good venue.  But it is not a good venue because of access to the Toronto market.  

Have the men ever played there? 

2 hours ago, Califax said:

The last time the CMNT played in the Marimes was in 1992 in St. John,NB against the US that I could find.Attendance was 3500. Prior to that was that game in St John's in 1985.St. John's also hosted a game in 1972.

22 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

Not to detail, but has anyone heard anything about USA away in terms of venue? An away trip in the southern USA in November is very appealing! 

We likely won't find out until September. The USSF has yet to announce their September friendlies. I expect that announcement after the Gold Cup.

2 hours ago, Califax said:

No, and if the men were playing you would get more of a draw if it were not a friendly and not Dominica.  The women play friendly after friendly and that is starting to affect attendance. 

Sorry didn't pay attention to the question, but there is no games listed for the men's team playing in Hamilton,ON. Just wondering if that agreement between CSA and BMO field about playing a number of games there each year is still in effect. I

5 hours ago, to70 said:

Sorry didn't pay attention to the question, but there is no games listed for the men's team playing in Hamilton,ON. Just wondering if that agreement between CSA and BMO field about playing a number of games there each year is still in effect. I

Do you know when the deal was created? But I’d have to assume it’s only one match a year if it’s still in effect because there was only one game held at BMO in 2016.

3 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Do you know when the deal was created? But I’d have to assume it’s only one match a year if it’s still in effect because there was only one game held at BMO in 2016.

The deal was made when the stadium was built.It was also called The National Soccer stadium with CSA participating in the building of the stadium.It was one of the host stadiums for u20 WC in 2007. There was a thread in regards to this a few years ago.

21 hours ago, to70 said:

The last time the CMNT played in the Marimes was in 1992 in St. John,NB against the US that I could find.Attendance was 3500. Prior to that was that game in St John's in 1985.St. John's also hosted a game in 1972.

Oh I meant Hamilton. 

But this is solid Intel that the east coaster in me will use to lobby for a game out there. 

23 hours ago, to70 said:

18 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

18 hours ago, to70 said:

The deal was made when the stadium was built.It was also called The National Soccer stadium with CSA participating in the building of the stadium.It was one of the host stadiums for u20 WC in 2007. There was a thread in regards to this a few years ago.

17 hours ago, narduch said:

I think they came to an agreement to end that deal. CSA was struggling to hold their end of the bargain. It was supposed to be something insane like 10 matches per year.

The deal was amended around 2012, requiring the CSA to only sell X number of tickets per year at BMO rather than holding a minimum number of matches. The ticket number is ridiculously easy to hit (16,000, IIRC), and the penalties for not hitting it are far less harsh than they were in the original agreement.

AFAIK, that agreement is still in place.

Also, MLSE gets a bigger cut of ticket/concession revenue under the current agreement (but it's still more favourable to the CSA than every other venue in the country).

One other thing that's of interest is that the USA game is on a Tuesday.

I feel like Toronto has either had sub par opponents or sub par calendar dates dating back to the Panama WCQ on a Friday night in 2012. 

So Cuba is a shittier fixture, but way more lucrative of a time slot. 

On 6/5/2019 at 2:55 AM, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t know if your making a joke, and I did word it badly but what I meant by east coast was Montreal/Toronto.

Given some are pushing for a Halifax game! My first thought is that Havana is probably further east than Toronto/Montreal ... but looking at a map, I guess it's due south!

But Ontario/Montreal Canada's east coast? Come on .... it's a 2-day drive! Parts of Ontario are closer to the west coast!  That's like calling Saskatoon as west coast!

Vancouver is much closer to sunny California, than we are to the east coast! Gosh, Toronto to Halifax is about the same as to Miami!

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Given some are pushing for a Halifax game! My first thought is that Havana is probably further east than Toronto/Montreal ... but looking at a map, I guess it's due south!

But Ontario/Montreal Canada's east coast? Come on .... it's a 2-day drive! Parts of Ontario are closer to the west coast!  That's like calling Saskatoon as west coast!

Vancouver is much closer to sunny California, than we are to the east coast! Gosh, Toronto to Halifax is about the same as to Miami!

I know it’s not close to the actual east cost but they’re just the two biggest cities in eastern Canada. I thought people would realize I meant the  two eastern cities that are plausible rather than playing out of King George V Stadium for ol’ times sake.

44 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I know it’s not close to the actual east cost but they’re just the two biggest cities in eastern Canada. I thought people would realize I meant the  two eastern cities that are plausible rather than playing out of King George V Stadium for ol’ times sake.

The two biggest cities in Canada. I'm not sure I'd call Ontario as Eastern Canada ... more province to the east than west. Parts of Ontario are as close to Vancouver than Toronto is to St. John's! 4 province to the west, and 5 to the east.

Central Canada is more often what I hear ... unless we are talking CFL - but then Winnipeg was Eastern Canada too for a while ... :)

Though if sea level were to rise another 70 metres, and reconnect Lake Ontario with the ocean then we might have some nice tropical ocean beaches ... :)

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

The two biggest cities in Canada. I'm not sure I'd call Ontario as Eastern Canada ... more province to the east than west. Parts of Ontario are as close to Vancouver than Toronto is to St. John's! 4 province to the west, and 5 to the east.

Central Canada is more often what I hear ... unless we are talking CFL - but then Winnipeg was Eastern Canada too for a while ... :)

Though if sea level were to rise another 70 metres, and reconnect Lake Ontario with the ocean then we might have some nice tropical ocean beaches ... :)

Toronto is nowhere near central Canada. Sure thunder bay is but I’m not talking about there I’m talking about Toronto. And if we’re talking cfl all the Ontario teams are definitely eastern Ontario. Also doesn’t like 80% of Ontario live close to the Quebec border.