The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

8.7 rating on whoscored, Bayerns average was 7.5. Apparently the 2nd best player on Bayern in the game.

Every Bayern fan on reddit is giving him high praise right now for his performance

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am just glad he didn’t get injured. 

The problem now is fatigue. At least this was a home game. He now has to fly to Orlando (no direct flights).

The timing is worse for guys like Jr Hoilett or Borjan who play their matches tomorrow, but Davies is coming into this camp differently than the previous one.

Unlike in October, he has played 3 full games for Bayern Munich (and not for the reserves - or as a sub) in the past week ! He now has to play 90 minutes again on Friday. Herdman will be fully aware of this - it will likely change his approach to how hard he pushes him in training.

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The problem now is fatigue. At least this was a home game. He now has to fly to Orlando (no direct flights).

The timing is worse for guys like Jr Hoilett or Borjan who play their matches tomorrow, but Davies is coming into this camp differently than the previous one.

Unlike in October, he has played 3 full games for Bayern Munich (and not for the reserves - or as a sub) in the past week ! He now has to play 90 minutes again on Friday. Herdman will be fully aware of this - it will likely change his approach to how hard he pushes him in training.

Maybe I underestimate this sort of thing but a 19 year old in peak physical condition should be able to play a full, hard soccer game on a Saturday and play again the following Friday - even with travel.  I fully expect him to show up absolutely amped to beat the US again.  Borjan too shouldn’t be a problem - keepers have a very different kind of physical game but he will be ready.  

Hoilett may be a bit different.  He may take a bit more time and has a day less.  Hopefully he doesn’t get the start tomorrow. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Davies is like our Leon Draisaitl. Playing with the best players against the best players is the way to reach your potential. Bayern and Davies have done a good job.

He’s our Gareth Bale.

Phonsie is becoming one of the best LB in the world 

Edited by baulderdash77

Just finished watching the game. I noticed this back when he was still with Vancouver but his tackling is really damn good, once his defensive positioning gets better he can become a world class LB for sure. The commentators on the replay I watched were saying he was having a phenomenal game. :)

I just wish we can watch him on the wing more, watching games to see a LB can be a bit boring at times.

12 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Just finished watching the game. I noticed this back when he was still with Vancouver but his tackling is really damn good, once his defensive positioning gets better he can become a world class LB for sure. The commentators on the replay I watched were saying he was having a phenomenal game. :)

I just wish we can watch him on the wing more, watching games to see a LB can be a bit boring at times.

He was credited with 7 tackles and the rest of the back line was Martinez with 2 and Pavard and Alaba with 1 each.

More Phonz love here:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/11/9/20956911/bayern-munich-vs-borussia-dortmund-match-observations-analysis-thomas-muller-alphonso-davies

Alphonso Davies dominated the game

Paolo Maldini of AC Milan Actual image of Alphonso Davies vs BVB. Haters will say it’s Maldini.

Is Alphonso Davies great or what? Starting in his first ever Klassiker at the tender age of 19, the Canadian wunderkind put in a dazzling performance at left back, keeping both Achraf Hakimi and Jadon Sancho at bay with surprising ease.

He did start off a bit shaky, but thanks to Flick’s system of collective pressing, Kingsley Coman and Joshua Kimmich helped bail him out until he found his bearings. Then, from minute 10 to minute 90, he dominated Borussia Dortmund from end to end. Davies was instrumental in driving Bayern’s attack forward with daring runs and incisive passing, and his pace enabled him to snuff out any fast counters before they could even begin.

Davies ended the game with an excellent stats sheet — 2 key passes, 7 tackles, 3 interceptions, and 34 dribbles completed. Whoscored gave him a rating of 8.5/10, the second highest on the team, even higher than Thomas Muller who managed two assists.

This kid really is something special.