The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

There is no way we should be starting him at LB, we can't replicate the threat he has going forward and USA is constantly trying to play out of the back and they are not good at it at all.  If we implement the right game plan we should be pinning the USA back as much as possible and trying to turn the ball over and they don't even get that often into 1 v 1 situations with our fullbacks.  Bayern has great wide players, we don't have similar replacements, we need Davies to counter/press and stretch the Americans as our best attacker on the ball.  

10 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I'll take Davies on the wing for this one. We ran every possession through him last time, and he was very effective at getting around Lovitz and setting up chances. If we're going for a win rather than a draw, we need someone who can bring the ball up quickly and effectively, and he's obviously the best option.

Agree, and on top of that Davies threat will always cause teams to limit the numbers they push forward.  If you give Davies space he'll kill them, if they hold numbers back and focus on him that in itself his him defending and opening up space for us.  We simply don't have another player that has the same kind of threat and that's much more valuable overall to a team because of how it effects the other team at both ends.  

13 hours ago, villus said:

Agree, and on top of that Davies threat will always cause teams to limit the numbers they push forward.  If you give Davies space he'll kill them, if they hold numbers back and focus on him that in itself his him defending and opening up space for us.  We simply don't have another player that has the same kind of threat and that's much more valuable overall to a team because of how it effects the other team at both ends.  

David is also very good on counters resulting from turnovers.  With him and Davis on top, US can't push forward with abandon. David doesn't have the pace of Davies, well no one has, but his straight line speed is very underrated.  He's also an excellent passer on odd man breaks.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Honest thoughts: What do you guys think about Davies as a permanent LB for both Canada and Bayern Munich?

I think it all depends on who we’re facing and how we want to play. There’s no doubt if he’s capable to start game in and game out at LB for Bayern, he can for Canada. But Canada doesn’t have the wing options that Bayern certainly has.. if a young Canadian winger finds his way into a high level I feel a lot better having Davies at LB , but for now it’s hard to not have him higher up the pitch for us. 

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Honest thoughts: What do you guys think about Davies as a permanent LB for both Canada and Bayern Munich?

Canada probably not. Too much responsibility going forward to worry about defensive assignments as much. As shown in previous examples in the US game and the Haiti game where he's trying to do too many things and ends up succeeding in none of them 

Doesn't have to worry about offence for Bayern very much at all. Just worry about shutting down the winger, get the ball and distribute. 

I don't think he'll be a permanent LB for either Canada or Bayern in the end. Bayern has no choice but to play him there and he's been so good that they have no reason to stop. 

He's a permanent potential world class piece in our rather doggy backline. The problem is his combination of inexperience with the other inexperienced defenders like Cornelius and Laryea. And that can only solved by games and time, not talent. Also highlights the giant hole in CSA's development that we don't have a decent defender between the ages of 26-31.

Also it suits our player pool and gives players like Tesho, Millar, potentially Tabla, Borges and Nelson an path to fight for the left wing spot. My hope is David gets better as an inside forward role, Cavallini up top and Hoilett playing on the right.

Edited by PopePouri

16 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm gonna keep saying it...... Canada's best formation at the moment would be 3-5-2 with Davies and Laryea as wingbacks. 

They're both at their best bombing up and down the flanks, they can both be trusted defensively and offensively, yet would be a waste to nail them in a defensive role.  

------------------Cavallini - David

Davies - Kaye - Eustaquio or Hutch - Arfield - Laryea

--------------Miller - Vitoria - Cornelius

Or a slightly more offensive option:

Hoilett - Cavallini - David

Davies - Kaye - Arfield - Laryea

Miller - Vitoria - Cornelius

Edited by costarg

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Davies has been outstanding at left back for Bayern, but the key to Davies at left back for Canada is getting him to play a simple game. Do we want our most dynamic and unpredictable player playing a simple game though? I don't. 

Maybe later in his career. Not now.

It depends on what we want from our fullbacks.  Davies and Laryea can combine to be devastating defensive fullbacks for us if we ask them to concentrate on shutting down the outside for other teams.  

If we do that then we can have actual World Cup quality players outside.  

What that means is that the rest of our wingers and attackers had better be playing in top form.  David, Cavalini, Larin, Hoilett, maybe Borges and Tabla.  They had better be creating and good to afford then luxury of shut down and distributing fullbacks.  

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm gonna keep saying it...... Canada's best formation at the moment would be 3-5-2 with Davies and Laryea as wingbacks. 

They're both at their best bombing up and down the flanks, they can both be trusted defensively and offensively, yet would be a waste to nail them in a defensive role.  

------------------Cavallini - David

Davies - Kaye - Eustaquio or Hutch - Arfield - Laryea

--------------Miller - Vitoria - Cornelius

You may be right although Hutch really is done or not a reliable piece anymore and Eustaquio isn’t ready yet.  Piette it is for now.  

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

You may be right although Hutch really is done or not a reliable piece anymore and Eustaquio isn’t ready yet.  Piette it is for now.  

I am curious how long this will be true. He has played for CA’s u21 team and scored a couple.  The mexican fans are calling for him to be given a shot in the first team.  I am not so sure he isn’t right in the mix for us at this point. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Well he’s cap tied to us now.  CONCACAF Nations League is an official competition and he played for us last game so we don’t have to worry about losing him to Mexico.

He’s played 110 minutes in the last 12 months so I wouldn’t say he’s ready yet.   

If we lost him to Mexico that’d be real concerning, considering he’s Portuguese.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

12 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It depends on what we want from our fullbacks.  Davies and Laryea can combine to be devastating defensive fullbacks for us if we ask them to concentrate on shutting down the outside for other teams.  

If we do that then we can have actual World Cup quality players outside.  

What that means is that the rest of our wingers and attackers had better be playing in top form.  David, Cavalini, Larin, Hoilett, maybe Borges and Tabla.  They had better be creating and good to afford then luxury of shut down and distributing fullbacks.  

That "if" deserves to be bolded. It is a very big if, especially for Davies (less so for Laryea).

My question is, do we want Davies, our most dangerous attacker, to be focused on his defensive duties? The answer should be very straight forward.