The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

7 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

They seem to have more faith in him that we expect. They could have brought Thiago or Tolisso into midfield and play Alaba, Pavard, Martinez, and Kimmich across the back four.

They really like to play people out of their main position at Bayern. Although I will say there's an argument to be made for him starting over Coman at LW if the backline is healthy

He had a solid, but unspectacular, first half. He's tending to play it safe in possession, which has lead to a passing percentage that I reckon is in the high 90s, percentage wise. He got caught the wrong side of his winger at midfield in the first couple of minutes. Without really regaining strong position, he was able to harass the winger for 50 yards until the ball ran out of play. Since then, he's been able to get in front of his man every time and they've not bothered trying to waste their time and effort testing Phonz's pace. He's not gotten forward toomuch, but did try an ambitious long shot just before the break. It went well over the bar. 

Ultimately, I think he's getting better and better with each appearance at LB and his competition on the wings look to be taking steps backwards. I am optimistic, pending the arrival of Wenger for the rest of the season. 

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ultimately, I think he's getting better and better with each appearance at LB and his competition on the wings look to be taking steps backwards. I am optimistic, pending the arrival of Wenger for the rest of the season. 

Who Coman and Gnarby? Steps backwards.... I disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

His speed isn't really being put to use here. Seems like he's being instructed to stay back a little, maybe even slide into the middle a little bit. This means he isn't doing any overlapping runs, taking on defenders etc. Bit of a waste to be honest. Not making use of his strengths.

For better or worse, at LB his primary duties will be defensive.  He will bomb up some, and his pace will let him get back quickly, but I am sure he has been told to be defensively solid first and foremost.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For better or worse, at LB his primary duties will be defensive.  He will bomb up some, and his pace will let him get back quickly, but I am sure he has been told to be defensively solid first and foremost.

Yes, but if you have a speedy, dangerous fullback, you use it. Bayern played very narrow and struggled offensively the whole game.

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

Who Coman and Gnarby? Steps backwards.... I disagree. 

Gnabry and Coman have both been absolutely shit for most of this season.

It's looking like Gnabry's burst of great form at the back end of last season was just that, and he's reverted back to being the generally underwhelming player I have always thought he was. Coman isn't looking like fulfilling the potential that has seen him pass through three of Europe's biggest clubs in his short career, so far. 

A starting spot on the wing is there to be grabbed by Phonz, once his apprenticeship at LB has been served. 

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He did make a couple of second-half forays forward, but once they took the lead, it was safety first. 

Great game by Phonzie!  Did his job admirably and kept Olympiaco's best attacker Podence quiet all night.   He didn't get forward much, but that's likely part of their tactics.    

It says a lot that after a coaching change and even a recent own goal of his, that the new manager has enough trust and confidence in him to start a Champions League game.

I am 100% on board with him as a starting Leftback. Gets more of our best players on the field at once (you can start Hoilett, David and Cavallini) AND now we finally have a world class defender. He can still bomb forward at left back in plenty of situations and use his attacking abillity.

When Laryea bombs up Davies stays back and vice versa. Most teams move forward with 7 men (one of the full backs stays back with the CB's and GK or maybe a defensive mid stays back and both full backs are up). LB is just as much offense and it is defense

Edited by canadafan101

11 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Yes, but if you have a speedy, dangerous fullback, you use it. 

No you don't.   Not necessarily.

Context is important.  You're Bayern Munich, playing at home in the Champions League against a lesser team.   If you don't give up a goal, there's a 99% chance you win the game!  

14 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Yes, but if you have a speedy, dangerous fullback, you use it. Bayern played very narrow and struggled offensively the whole game.

I am sure Bayern will remove the reins and let him romp up field once he is consistent defensively....assuming they don't move him to the wing which would be even better.