The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sorry, that’s not how it works. 

His name is pronounced DAY-veez.   Doesn’t matter where you are from or how you want to say it - his name is his name. 

Are you saying our English is right and theirs is wrong?  Its not a pronunciation problem, its just a different accent.  TomAto TomatO.

This doesn't bother me as much as butchering, mispronouncing and misspelling names and cities.  For example: Turin is Torino.   Venice is Venezia.  

What are the odds that his family took a new surname to more easily assimilate into Canada? I don't imagine Davies is an ethnically traditional Liberian name. It seems a bit silly to complain about how someone in another country pronounces his name to me. 

37 minutes ago, costarg said:

Are you saying our English is right and theirs is wrong?  Its not a pronunciation problem, its just a different accent.  TomAto TomatO.

This doesn't bother me as much as butchering, mispronouncing and misspelling names and cities.  For example: Turin is Torino.   Venice is Venezia.  

Not that it matters hugely, but a name isn't a word that you can choose to pronounce differently or that your culture might decide to pronounce differently.  Someone's name is pronounced the way they pronounce it because it is their name.  This isn't a "TomAto TomatO" issue, where either option is equally acceptable.

Calling Patrick Roy "Patrick Roy" and not "Patrick Rwa" (or however you represent that pronunciation in text) isn't a matter of personal preference  - it is straight up incorrect.

16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What are the odds that his family took a new surname to more easily assimilate into Canada? I don't imagine Davies is an ethnically traditional Liberian name. It seems a bit silly to complain about how someone in another country pronounces his name to me. 

FWIW, I am not worked up about it or anything.  Just find it odd that our highest profile player's name was routinely mispronounced. 

At this point, it is more of an academic discussion - but I will let it go. 

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I am no expert but there are plenty of western surnames still in Liberia.  

14 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

An old friend of mine, who was also a refugee from Liberia (and also a good soccer player in his day) went by the last name Murphy, so you could very well be right.

On the other hand, a quick scan of the Liberian national team roster shows surnames such as Johnson, Sherman and Williams. Liberia began as a settlement of the American Colinization Society, so such names may just be a relic from that era.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

You ever notice how Brits seem to add an R to the end of Canada? Like... Canader. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

To the extent that Liberia represents an ethnic nationality at all, Davies would be one of the most "Liberian" names you would find there.

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Can you explain what you mean by out of position? For once Tottenham actually broke the high press and Bayern had to scramble to recover, but it looked to me like Davies had pushed tight to his mark, exactly like would have been  expected given the tactics. 

When Spurs won the ball back at the top of their own box, Bayern had seven players in their forward third of the pitch. Phonz wasn't one of them. As the play develops down Spurs' attacking left channel, you can see Alphonso lightly jogging back on the far side of the pitch. He hadn't pushed forward to properly join the previous Bayern attack, nor was he marking anyone as the play developed. As the ball is advanced by Spurs and the play moves centrally from the wing, you can see that Son has peeled off into the massive space that Alphonso had vacated, and had yet to make any effort to recover. It wasn't until Son received the ball in the area that he should have been defending that Davies turned on the jets to get back on the play.

If you watch the play back, pausing at 70:56, 70:58, and 71:06, and 71:11, you'll clearly see that Phonz had momentarily switched off and had to rely on phenomenal pace to recover the situation. However, that shouldn't detract from what was, overall, an amazing performance from the kid.

27 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

When Spurs won the ball back at the top of their own box, Bayern had seven players in their forward third of the pitch. Phonz wasn't one of them. As the play develops down Spurs' attacking left channel, you can see Alphonso lightly jogging back on the far side of the pitch. He hadn't pushed forward to properly join the previous Bayern attack, nor was he marking anyone as the play developed. As the ball is advanced by Spurs and the play moves centrally from the wing, you can see that Son has peeled off into the massive space that Alphonso had vacated, and had yet to make any effort to recover. It wasn't until Son received the ball in the area that he should have been defending that Davies turned on the jets to get back on the play.

If you watch the play back, pausing at 70:56, 70:58, and 71:06, and 71:11, you'll clearly see that Phonz had momentarily switched off and had to rely on phenomenal pace to recover the situation. However, that shouldn't detract from what was, overall, an amazing performance from the kid.

I've watched it multiple times and I still disagree. He was also the 6th highest up the pitch when Spurs won the ball and covering Sissoko during the press. The following happened first before Davies had to scramble:

1) Thiago and Kimmich was a step too late with the press.
2) Pavard wasn't strong in the tackle against Sessegnon
3) Kimmich is drawn to the ball and fails to track Eriksen
4) Martinez was ball watching and then goes to ground for no reason.

The two pictures are 10 seconds apart, the first when Spurs win the ball back and the second just before the pass across to Son. Davies isn't in the first shot, which shows every Spurs player, bar Son, and the seven most-advanced Bayern players. Sissoko is next to the referee in both shots.

Phonz fell asleep on the play, but made a great recovery. I am having trouble with your argument to the contrary. 

20191213_053115.jpg

20191213_053449.jpg

42 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The period of time when neither the ball nor any Spurs players came near him?

This is getting a bit silly but at the moment they broke the press he’s clearly covering the other outlet man imo. Pavard looks like he's lost his man.

9CB73497-5F7E-40AB-86C4-66A686BAEEB4.png

Edited by Aird25