The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think he was sorta to blame for the second as he lost his man, who ended up putting it in.

Disagree. It was a great build-up by Frankfurt and there was a wicked deflection straight to the Frankfurt player at the backpost. I wouldn't call that losing your man. 

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Partially culpable for the 5th goal.  Should have marked the guy to prevent the tap in rather than try to protect the line.  

I disagree on this. Davies is just learning to be a defender. One of the general rules for defenders is to immediately get back to cover the line when the 'keeper charges out of the goal. If you make a list of culpable players on the 5th goal, Alaba and Neuer are much closer to the top of that list than Phonz.

Watched the playback this morning after only catching bits yesterday (made the mistake of actually watching my club's game).  I take a somewhat middle of the road view:  I think he needs  to continue to learn to be a defender - the right instincts are not all there yet - but he was certainly not the worst player in a poor Bayern side.  Partially down to the man disadvantage and partially down to what got them the red in the first place - being sloppy and open the counter - Davies was left out on an island a few times.  He had a choice between two bad options or covering two men and that helped make a couple of the goals at least.  (But I probably blame his body position on the own goal last game more than anything he did in this one.)

No one deserves a lot credit in that performance, so we will how things are going forward.  That he played was great and hopefully the manager can take a balanced view and continue to have faith in him.  

11 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

From a Bayern forum:Zs5jHFj9_normal.jpg

Alphonso Davies against Frankfurt:

99 touches
60 passes
86.7% pass accuracy
1 key pass
2 shots
1 hit woodwork
3 dribbles
10 ground duels won
1 aerial
5 tackles
2 interceptions
3 clearances
7.9/10 (highest rated Bayern player)

In his starts has he not been one of Bayern's top rated players each time? Outside of the own goal and maybe some dodgy defending(as a teenager) he hasn't contributed to Bayern playing so poor these last few games 

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

Kovac is out

Not so long ago people were saying that Davies needed to go out on loan because he wasn't in Kovac's plans. Now people are worried about the reverse situation. I'm confident enough in Davies' talent to believe he'll continue to make appearances for Bayern no matter who is hired as manager.

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

So, with Kovac gone, do you think they will still stick to the plan with Davies? I hope the new manager just plays him as a winger for a change. I think they're wasting their time with him at LB.

The new coach will put out a lineup that he thinks will give the team their best chance to win.  Period.

With their current roster makeup that may very well mean more time at LB.   Which, regardless of whether it's his best position or not, is still much better than sitting on the bench.

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

The new coach will put out a lineup that he thinks will give the team their best chance to win.  Period.

With their current roster makeup that may very well mean more time at LB.   Which, regardless of whether it's his best position or not, is still much better than sitting on the bench.

Maybe it's time to get a little more open minded that he can be really good (possibly world class) LB. He has all the physical tools, just needs more tactical understanding. 

Red and white specs off, there is bad and good news.  The bad news is that whatever he has done individually, the team has not played well defensively or in central midfield recently (when he has been playing).  The good news is that they have few other options at the back.  Kimmich playing at right back, with Pavard and Albala in the centre and Davies at left back is essentially all that is available for the next league game.  Boateng will be back after a game or in Champions league but he is looking slow these days. 

It would be amazing (for a lot of reasons) if they could somehow convince (and are willing to pay for) Pochettino to come but I think ten Hag would be also be great for Davies.  Just please, please not Mourinho.  (I would love Allegri if I were a  Bayern fan but I don't necessarily as merely a Davies one) 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford