The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mattd97 said:

You'd think if you watched so much football you'd see that goals sometimes happen against even good defenders, who sometimes dont play a perfect game and their mistakes are sometimes punished. But now time is a circle.

Of course. But to me, that feels dishonest and a brush off of the actual situation and his play generally.

I love watching him, he is from the closest city of any size to where I grew up, my friends' kids played against him, but I have to say what I see. 

Why can't we discuss the actual point, which is that Davies is not perfect, or even excellent, at all aspects of defending?

It's not just one bad game. Those type of goals have happened regularly against him.  Does that mean he's not world-class at other things - no.  Does it mean we have to be honest and say that's not his strength, for me - yes. 

Give you another example - Trent Alexander-Arnold.  Again you will find him on all the best right back lists.  From my watching, he is a worse defender than Davies in most areas.  Why is he on those lists: because he is a very smart player and can deliver a ball from a variety of situations better than almost anyone in the world. So he is a world-class right back to have in an attacking team for most situations but has been regularly exposed, if you are able to attack Liverpool the right way.  Tough to do but less than amazing teams did it this year. 

In Tuchel's system more so, teams have sussed out what Davies does not do amazingly well  and have exposed that, not just in one game.  Either you move him to team that doesn't play that way as much, move his position or you put him on the bench, as has been happening.  I don't want the last one.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Tuchel says he’ll probably rest Mazraoui this weekend so he’s fully fit for the leg in Madrid, so I guess no Davies there either.

I must say, all of this Bayern talk about their new coach really puts everything into perspective with how we’re conducting our hiring process- it’s so bleak. They’ve been rejected by Xabi, Ragnick, I believe Nagelsmann rejected a reunion- I mean one of the biggest clubs on earth can’t seem to get a manager on their tier to come to them. I think even Tuchel said that since they’ve already agreed to part ways, it’s final, he doesn’t want to come back even if they changed their mind.

There's a pretty good chance Davies gets the start against Stuttgart tomorrow though.  😑

And you're right about Bayern's coaching situation - they've already cycled through the best candidates (Flick, Nagelsmann, Tuchel) in short order, as well as their Sporting Director and their CEO, and it has tarnished their reputation.  It's getting to the point where anyone with a worthy pedigree wants nothing to do with club.  It's a mess.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In Tuchel's system more so, teams have sussed out what Davies does not do amazingly well  and have exposed that, not just in one game.  Either you move him to team that doesn't play that way as much, move his position or you put him on the bench, as has been happening.  I don't want the last one.  

I think over the past month, this is what is happening. Seems when he comes off the bench, he’s being played more as a winger. Tuchel clearly doesn’t rate him as a defender and he doesn’t play enough as a winger to do much. Think I’m a lot more inclined to buy into the point you made not so long ago about how dropping down a level and honing his craft at another position might be the best move. 

1 minute ago, GasPed said:

There's a pretty good chance Davies gets the start against Stuttgart tomorrow though.  😑

And you're right about Bayern's coaching situation - they've already cycled through the best candidates (Flick, Nagelsmann, Tuchel) in short order, as well as their Sporting Director and their CEO, and it has tarnished their reputation.  It's getting to the point where anyone with a worthy pedigree wants nothing to do with club.  It's a mess.

The same aggregator that posted their lineup against RM posted the projected lineup against Stuttgart which has Mazraoui starting too. So we might get worst of both worlds. 

Posted (edited)

Theroies that Davies dropping to the bench has everything to do with form and little-to-nothing to do with his contract will be put to the test tomorrow.

If Davies plays and so-called first choice Mazraoui is rested, I will fully buy in.

But if I see Mazraoui start tomorrow, in a league game that Bayern has nothing to play for, then I am going back to the theory a large part of this benching IS his contract situation. 

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Theroies that Davies dropping to the bench has everything to do with form and little-to-nothing to do with his contract will be put to the test tomorrow.

If Davies plays and so-called first choice Mazraoui is rested, I will fully buy in.

But if I see Mazraoui start tomorrow, in a league game that Bayern has nothing to play for, then I am going back to the theory a large part of this benching IS his contract situation. 

Be interesting to see.

The pattern looks like form to me but who really knows.

He missed most of February and then he was coming back from injury and getting bit minutes pretty much up until our game in March.

Then he had 3 games where he played all or most of them (with fullbacks on the bench) but honestly they were rough. 

They did better against Arsenal in the second leg and okay against Real Madrid without him.

In between, he got 15' and 90' in the "meaningless" Bundesliga games in between.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

How's he looked so far lads? The player rating on my app doesn't look too promising. Has he been poor yet again?

He was ball watching a bit on the goal against. He had a great run down the line which eventually led to the penalty though. He hasn't been as involved as he usually is

30 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He was ball watching a bit on the goal against. He had a great run down the line which eventually led to the penalty though. He hasn't been as involved as he usually is

I thought he was in the right position on their goal, and even that the guy was offside. Either you drop back and cover behind him, or try to get him offside, and that is what they were going for. 

Not excusing him, just find folks exaggerrate his defensive foibles at times.