The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

10 hours ago, Bdog said:

If only he scored that volley...

On the subject of our national team, I think him playing LB depends on what other options we have at the wings and if we can't get a clear starting LB.

Hoilett is still going to be a good option for this cycle but is David actually effective out wide? He looks great at striker and it sounds like CAM is his best position but I think against Cuba he didn't look super effective out wide, it might have been that 1-0 game where no one looked great to be fair. Tabla is out of the picture right now. Borges might be an option but we have to probably see how he does at a higher level. Millar likely has the highest ceiling out of our winger prospects but right now he's not a starter for us. Basically I'd keep Davies at LW/RW right now unless we can get another solid starter besides Hoilett.

I'd also keep him at wing if someone claims the LB spot but right now I think we're just average there tbh. Adekugbe probably won't become much more than a MLS level player and we don't know how good Miller will turn out to be. If his peak is just an MLS starter, I'd consider just putting Davies there.

TBF, Davies wasn't that great on the wing when Cuba played here. I think he's still very one-dimensional on the wing and only seems to thrive during transition moments. Much like what happened against the US and when he played for Vancouver. But if it gets crowded through midfield, he lacks the ability to play well through the lines. Something Hoilett, David, Oso, Arfield do well enough.

My opinion is with our dodge backline, if we have someone starting for Bayern Munich and challenging one of the best fullbacks in the world in Alaba for minutes, it makes more sense. We also have a ton of cover at DM if he bombs forward with Piette, Kaye, Hutch, and Eustaquio, possibly Fraser as well.

12 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

TBF, Davies wasn't that great on the wing when Cuba played here. I think he's still very one-dimensional on the wing and only seems to thrive during transition moments. Much like what happened against the US and when he played for Vancouver. But if it gets crowded through midfield, he lacks the ability to play well through the lines. Something Hoilett, David, Oso, Arfield do well enough.

My opinion is with our dodge backline, if we have someone starting for Bayern Munich and challenging one of the best fullbacks in the world in Alaba for minutes, it makes more sense. We also have a ton of cover at DM if he bombs forward with Piette, Kaye, Hutch, and Eustaquio, possibly Fraser as well.

It's easier for any player to play in an open match - that's most wingers.  Also, don't forget that when we played Cuba just days later he played on the wing and was by far our best player (in an arguably tougher match).  The Cuba game at home was just an anomaly.. he was playing his first game at home in almost a year and was trying to show off a bit but it's tough when you are being triple teamed all game (at one point he had about 8 Cubans around him).  Still, he was a miracle save away from a goal in that game and won a penalty. 

On 11/6/2019 at 2:02 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Ultimately, I think he's getting better and better with each appearance at LB and his competition on the wings look to be taking steps backwards. I am optimistic, pending the arrival of Wenger for the rest of the season. 

I think this would be fantastic for Davies in every way.

It's remarkable that a just-turned 19 year old doesn't look at all out of place starting for one of the top clubs in the world.  Here's the UEFA ranking.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2020

1  Real Madrid CF
2  FC Barcelona
3  Club Atlético de Madrid
4  FC Bayern München
5  Juventus
6  Manchester City FC
7  Paris Saint-Germain
8  Liverpool FC
9  Arsenal FC
10  Manchester United FC

Edited by Snowcrash

Something to take note of is that the top clubs in the world are looking more and more to generate offence from the 'wingback' positions. Liverpool especially is setting the standard for this model where they're essentially auxiliary wingers. For a team like Bayern it makes sense to have an offensive minded player like Davies manning that spot as it also plays to his strengths where they are most likely to be hit on the counter as opposed to being structurally sound defensively against a methodical, possession based attack. That doesn't really work as well for Canada, and while any playtime at the pinnacle of the sport will be good for Davies right now I don't think it will lend itself to him being played out of position for the CMNT where he should be played on the wing, especially since Canada won't typically be in Bayern's position as the perennial favourite or necessarily dominating any games against competitive teams (which means that against good opposition Davies should typically have plenty of space to work with AND be able to draw on his experience as a wingback for Bayern to help in defending from the wing). My two cents anyway, he's a dynamic and generational attacker for us and I don't think there's value in having him in the backline for the CMNT.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:25 AM, Snowcrash said:

In the Bayern forum, someone mentioned that Davies was baiting the Olympiakos RW to beat him down the line but shut him down every time so he eventually stopped trying to go one-on-one with Davies.

For bit more context as to how good of a job Phonzie did in that game: the Olympiakos winger that Davies shut down (Daniel Podence), is not a name that most people probably recognize, but he's been having a great season.  In fact he's played so well that he just got called up for Portugal's upcoming pair of Euro 2020 qualifiers!   

It's crazy to think of considering Phonzie owned him for 90 minutes!

10 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

For bit more context as to how good of a job Phonzie did in that game: the Olympiakos winger that Davies shut down (Daniel Podence), is not a name that most people probably recognize, but he's been having a great season.  In fact he's played so well that he just got called up for Portugal's upcoming pair of Euro 2020 qualifiers!   

It's crazy to think of considering Phonzie owned him for 90 minutes!

Phonzie appeared to be enjoying shutting him down. Perhaps that game is the turning point for him. For defenders shutting down forwards, making tackles, interceptions are as big as scoring goals for forwards. Hopefully with a few more starts he can do both.