The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

The Score had Sancho playing central. Was he really playing on Davies side? If thats the case... Canada’s wonderkind trumps Britains wonderkind. Quick! Get Tomori on the line!!!

29 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

this week has been a bit of a coming out party for Davies. Hopefully he continues it into the USA game.

I’m reminded of how Osorio played very well against USA last game and seemed to ride that emotion until a few days later followed it up by scoring a brace for TFC. I wouldn’t mind if Davies followed that pattern and bagged a couple on Friday.

5 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

He wasn't hurt. He just came down with the #PhonzieFlu. 😄 

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match. 

he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by the end. But defensively he was rock solid. There were 3 or 4 times he was a great tackle and 90,000 German soccer fans erupted into ovation for our boy. Late in the second half, he shut down a cross and Kimmich was absolutely fired up about it. Amazing to see and hear in person.

333E0E6A-49D3-48FD-A0F7-F765134779B9.jpeg

Found this on a Bayern forum.  The times are  game times where Davies makes a defensive play.  Thor Hazard tries to take him down the line at 87.27 and gets schooled. 

Bayern's going to realize, if they don't already, that Davies' defensive talents will be wasted on the wing.

61:40, 84:27, at 84:58 he stands his ground, "You shall not pass" mode, back peddling to the penalty area deactivated :P , 87:27.

https://ok.ru/video/1781863877222

Edited by Snowcrash

10 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Phonzie has taken his chances and ran away with them, seriously, there's no way Bayern don't keep starting him, given his age and how he is clearly improving with every game.

Not just us, but all of Bayern Munich fans would raise hell also. 

They have Hernandez (France starting LB at World cup) when he's back healthy and Alaba back to LB. I imagine they are going to move him a bit higher up the pitch eventually. The fact Davies can play either side up top is also awesome. 

1 hour ago, red card said:

Davies all touches video set to Pas Contente by Vaudou Game.

https://streamable.com/gy7bz

He made the winger look like the 19 year old.  Seems like he just kept letting himself fall everytime Davies covered him in the last 20.  Looked like he had no more gas and ideas to try to get around him.  His dribbling, passing and confidence with the ball looked great.  

Dominant performance.

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Creating a new kind of a good selection headache.

Maybe start him at leftback and make sure we get the draw and move him up later, if we need goals for bad or good goal difference reasons? 

That is sort of what I am thinking.  In a game where not conceding is paramount, Davies at LB seems to be advisable. 

I know we generally like him further up the field, but as you say, that can happen if it becomes necessary. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I like Davies forcing these turnovers higher up the pitch. Maybe against Mexico play him at LB. I hate to sound cocky but one at use Phonzie press the US right off their own pitch. They don't have the players to deal with it

Maybe; the most natural way to play on the break for me would be David up front with Davies and Junior wide.  My problem with that is while those last two are exceptional players, you need more than one person to make a press and that is not their strength.  You can do what we did last time and have Davies more central and give him better access to any of their players but I can't hope their wing play will be as poor as it was last time, when we were able to play fairly narrow in the attacking 2/3rds. 

That point is so important and yet we really need more. 

Both of our goals and David's early chance were all created from making them turn the ball over as they tried to work the ball in to the middle third of the pitch. The US are so un dynamic and flat. They're solid but especially without Pulisic we should just pressure their backline and midfielders just like last game. The most dangerous player at not only doing that but quickly turning that in to a dangerous scoring opp is Davies

Edited by SpursFlu

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Both of our goals and David's early chance were all created from making them turn the ball over as they tried to work the ball in to the middle third of the pitch. The US are so un dynamic and flat. They're solid but especially without Pulisic we should just pressure their backline and midfielders just like last game. The most dangerous player at not only doing that but quickly turning that in to a dangerous scoring opp is Davies

I guess part of my point is they are not bad players and if they have any pride at all they are going to learn from trying to go through the middle when we had so many players there. 

I agree that they foolishly had no answer or did not execute when they got a run wide early on (Yedlin) but in some capacity we need to be ready to press and/or defend wider this time round.  If you take a breath, you can work out that if a press is only coming from the middle or one side then you have ways around it.  They had a month. 

All about opinions, I did not see what Herdman had planned coming and hopefully it will be the same for the States again. 

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If I look at their lineup. I just don't think they have the players to make any real adjustments 

This game means so much more to us, I don't think we can afford make that assumption.

As said, we shall see, it is generally a great position to be in when you have a solution to a couple of potential problems, which Davies is at this point. 

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This game means so much more to us, I don't think we can afford make that assumption.

As said, we shall see, it is generally a great position to be in when you have a solution to a couple of potential problems, which Davies is at this point. 

Everything is an assumption. I'm saying they don't have players who are dynamic enough to break he press of players of the strength and quality of Davies, David, Arfield, MAK, Cavallini. Press them high and they'll never get out of first gear. Plus we have players to immediately turn this turnovers in to scoring chances. There is no point in waisting Davies on the backline waiting for the US to buildup 

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Everything is an assumption. I'm saying they don't have players who are dynamic enough to break he press of players of the strength and quality of Davies, David, Arfield, MAK, Cavallini. Press them high and they'll never get out of first gear. Plus we have players to immediately turn this turnovers in to scoring chances. There is no point in waisting Davies on the backline waiting for the US to buildup 

Agree to disagree I guess.  I assumed we had the players to hold a 2 goal lead against Haiti and we relaxed mentally and didn't.  We need to approach this as a tough away game, which it still is to me.  We have to be flexible and ready to even run up the score if we can but first and foremost we must have the point. Not sexy, but there you go.