The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Having a Twitter war with these fool , basically telling me that Davies more or less is not really Canadian lol. Canada has nothing to do with his development lol. 
“  Alphonso's talent is from his African ancestry.
No different from the guys I played with who were Italian, Portuguese.
Their talent came from their ancestry “. Incredible and this fool is supposedly Canadian tweeting  this crap! 

Who cares what those ass clowns think?  I only see one flag in this picture.  

1FC7E581-9345-45EF-9BEE-648995C493BB.jpeg

8 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Having a Twitter war with these fool , basically telling me that Davies more or less is not really Canadian lol. Canada has nothing to do with his development lol. 
“  Alphonso's talent is from his African ancestry.
No different from the guys I played with who were Italian, Portuguese.
Their talent came from their ancestry “. Incredible and this fool is supposedly Canadian tweeting  this crap! 

Yeah, pretty unfortunate that anyone would say that. That kind of idea, that one ancestry consistently produces better athletes, is silly. A lot of people, too, haven't really noticed the progress Canada has made over these past few years. Like, I'm in high school, and even soccer kids don't seem to know about the rise of Davies, or David. It's unfortunate, cause there're some really good stories there. 

Kinda reminds me of Milos Raonic, when he was finally seeing some success in the majors. Tennis fans, even Canadians, just kinda shrugged and kept cheering on the ongoing domination of Federer and friends. I'm sort of mixed about Qatar, with their labour abuses, but qualifying would really bring light to Canada... you know... actually having a men's soccer team, which a ton of people don't even seem to realize.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It probably is, I am just thinking that there are still enough clueless members of the Canadian media that will think it should go to Conor McDavid or any random Canuck on whichever team wins the Stanley Cup. I guess it won’t go to a CFL player at least 

Or some bobsledder or trampoline champion or some Canadian running back in the CFL.  I have given up on the Lou Marsh.  Its a joke.   Voters are more interested in making political statements with their votes instead of considering merit and field of competition.

2 hours ago, trueviking said:

No way. A tiny fraction of people in Canada watched this because it was not on television. It’s a real shame. The live streaming only option is a disaster for the exposure of soccer in this country. Kids have no access. Casual fans have no access. It’s for middle aged, wealthy urbanites. A niche viewership of core supporters. Will have a long term impact in my opinion. European football has basically vanished from mainstream conversation in Canada. 

Absolutely,  this is exactly what i was saying in my post a few pages back.   You are absolutely right,  in about five years we will be back to where we were in the dark ages of the 80’s and 90’s.  At least now there is MLS and CanPL.  So thats probably the one difference.

Edited by Free kick

28 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Yeah, pretty unfortunate that anyone would say that. That kind of idea, that one ancestry consistently produces better athletes, is silly. A lot of people, too, haven't really noticed the progress Canada has made over these past few years. Like, I'm in high school, and even soccer kids don't seem to know about the rise of Davies, or David. It's unfortunate, cause there're some really good stories there. 

Kinda reminds me of Milos Raonic, when he was finally seeing some success in the majors. Tennis fans, even Canadians, just kinda shrugged and kept cheering on the ongoing domination of Federer and friends. I'm sort of mixed about Qatar, with their labour abuses, but qualifying would really bring light to Canada... you know... actually having a men's soccer team, which a ton of people don't even seem to realize.

Well keep supporting your young and I do believe you will see a lot more of these kind of successes for Canadian players like Davies and I think our Canadian national team will give us all a lot to cheer about in the coming years. I’ve been at this a long time supporting soccer here in Canada. The last time I was almost brought to happy tears was when Canada finally qualified to the 1986 World Cup in Mexico , and again today when I saw a Canadian kid just 19 years old and such a likeable human being Alfonso Davies lift that Champions League trophy , what a moment and what a story. Here is hoping for more moments like this to come,   just incredible.

14 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Or some bobsledder or trampoline champion or some Canadian running back in the CFL.  I have given up on the Lou Marsh.  Its a joke.   Voters are more interested in making political statements with their votes instead of considering merit and field of competition.

This year is a slam dunk, unless for some oddball reason they decide not to present the award this year.

2 hours ago, trueviking said:

No way. A tiny fraction of people in Canada watched this because it was not on television. It’s a real shame. The live streaming only option is a disaster for the exposure of soccer in this country. Kids have no access. Casual fans have no access. It’s for middle aged, wealthy urbanites. A niche viewership of core supporters. Will have a long term impact in my opinion. European football has basically vanished from mainstream conversation in Canada. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Despite TSN dropping football rights almost every year, this video shows they understand the sport and occaison unlike most other Canadian media.

And this was narrated by a guy who I have never seen cover football except for the CFL.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:29 AM, cronaldo7 said:

First one isn’t actually Martial.

But nice to see praise from Robertson. I do tend to twitter search Davies (like many of our players, to try to find some real fan opinions) but the most frustrating thing is sorting through all the “OMG Robertson > Davies”, “noooo Davies>Robertson” tweets.. which I’m assuming are just 17 year old boys that are Bayern/Liverpool/FIFA2020 fans.

Although it is quite nice to see the appreciation of our boy Alphonso 

Hi everyone, I write from Italy and I found this forum searching for Davies on google. Below you will find an article on Davies on a very well regarded soccer website here in Italy. It is in Italian but with google translate you should be able to understand it

https://www.rivistaundici.com/2020/08/19/alphonso-davies-bayern/

Btw, do you want Cristante back in exchange for Davies? ;) 

3 hours ago, Danoos said:

No grazie, we'll keep Davies😁    Btw in that article they call MLS a second tier league. Can't say I blame them.

Hi everyone, I write from Italy and I found this forum searching for Davies on google. Below you will find an article on Davies on a very well regarded soccer website here in Italy. It is in Italian but with google translate you should be able to understand it

https://www.rivistaundici.com/2020/08/19/alphonso-davies-bayern/

Btw, do you want Cristante back in exchange for Davies? ;) 

13 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

No grazie, we'll keep Davies😁    Btw in that article they call MLS a second tier league. Can't say I blame them.

I would say calling MLS a 2nd tier league is a compliment. It definitely is not a 1st tier and league and nobody would argue that, but being a 2nd tier league potentially puts them in the same category as Holland, Portugal, Brazil and Argentina. Those are leagues MLS would love to be compared to!

I see Drake giving him shoutouts etc

I think for athletes that is always a massive deal and many idolize their favourite artists (while artists often idolize their favourite  athletes)

I always remember one of the selling points for Defoe to come to TFC all the years back was Drake calling up and telling him to come lol (atleast that’s what was speculated). 

Don’t tell me guys like Tomori don’t look at something like that (being shouted out by the arguably the biggest artist on the planet) and think that’s appealing and exciting. Making Canadian football “cool/sexy” is something we’ve never really experienced before and it is very fkn exciting. 

We should (hopefully) get used to seeing his face all over the place.  Great guy, great attitude, great player, great story.  He has everything you could want from a marketing perspective. He seems like the kind of him guy who wouldn’t let endorsements get in the way of his success on the field so I hope he gets everything he deserves.  

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

I always remember one of the selling points for Defoe to come to TFC all the years back was Drake calling up and telling him to come lol (atleast that’s what was speculated). 

There is a recent interview where Defoe talks about Drake calling him and then he didn't hear a thing from him the whole time in Toronto.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We should (hopefully) get used to seeing his face all over the place.  Great guy, great attitude, great player, great story.  He has everything you could want from a marketing perspective. He seems like the kind of him guy who wouldn’t let endorsements get in the way of his success on the field so I hope he gets everything he deserves.  

Like you said before...corporate Canada should be alllll ovveerr him now. And not just before we host the WC.