The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I agree that Phonzie is one of the best LB in the world. BUT, I don't think he is THE best LB...yet. 

Latest Example: 

12'30" in first half vs. Lyon, Cornet break through from left side, both Boateng and Davies are tracking back. Lyon's forward Ekambi is 10 feet closer than Davis to the goal while Boateng intercepted Cornet's cross. That could be an easy tap in. 

The winning goal from Haiti was came from a forward  dash behind Davies, but this time the oponent is within his view right in front of him. 

Why he didn't tracking back at full speed to cut off the possible path of the cross? I don't know. But I would think he didn't realize the big risk at the time.

26 minutes ago, red card said:

Not being on tv today in Canada means not reaching the over 50 segment. The under 30 segment is trending towards engaging with sports through clips rather than watching it live end to end.

I thought that was trending across all demographics.

7 minutes ago, lamptern said:

I agree that Phonzie is one of the best LB in the world. BUT, I don't think he is THE best LB...yet. 

Latest Example: 

12'30" in first half vs. Lyon, Cornet break through from left side, both Boateng and Davies are tracking back. Lyon's forward Ekambi is 10 feet closer than Davis to the goal while Boateng intercepted Cornet's cross. That could be an easy tap in. 

The winning goal from Haiti was came from a forward  dash behind Davies, but this time the oponent is within his view right in front of him. 

Why he didn't tracking back at full speed to cut off the possible path of the cross? I don't know. But I would think he didn't realize the big risk at the time.

I just watched Ali Adnan on Friday vs TFC get caught out on the same type of far post pass, only for Auro's volley to be parried by Hasal.

Rating fullbacks is similar to rating defencemen in hockey:  the sexy choices are the guys with the offensive weaponry and not the less conspicuous tasks of team defending, such as support coverage for the CB beside you and what have you.  I always thought Paul Stalteri was terrific in his zonal marking skills as a fullback:  he read the play well to cover his back line mates, especially with sealing off through balls. 

2 hours ago, red card said:

You're fighting against trends. 65% of US subscribe to cable. 69% subscribe to streaming. In the US, Champions League has gone 75/25 live streaming with CBS All Access. Was mostly streaming under Turner. Bundesliga has gone to probably 70/30 streaming with ESPN+ just like Serie A. A chunk of EPL will now be on NBC Peacock. NBA US tv ratings have declined since 2011 but still gets good engagement because the under 40 age group keeps track online with highlights, gifs, memes and so.

In Canada, WTA has gone to DAZN. TSN did pick up about 8 events to show this year. NFL Sunday Ticket went to DAZN.

Not being on tv today in Canada means not reaching the over 50 segment. The under 30 segment is trending towards engaging with sports through clips rather than watching it live end to end.

As long there is some footy on tv (which we do via MLS, CPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, Euros, Euro Nations League, men & women WC), it's available for the traditional viewers. Hard core types & the younger set get much better coverage via streaming services. 

Given these trends, SN & TSN are losing their juicy subscriber fees since everyone paid for it even if not a sports fan. TSN had a hard time affording EPL rights since they gave a chunk of the matches to SN. SN also blew their load on hockey and own the Jays. So, they are in no position to compete for any other rights. 

I don’t disagree with anything you said.    And I allude to this in my initial post.  So am not fighting any Trend whatsoever.   I am fine with streaming and the services they provide.      But consider this:   Suppose you are out and about today at some eatery or bar.   Do you think that what they will be showing on their TV’s is going to be streaming service?    Nope.  So that means that there are tens of thousands of people who won’t see the game,  who might not get hooked,  who won’t be exposed to the teams brands and merchandise etc etc.   

by the way,  I commented earlier that I had found the service and quality good from my past experience.   That was when I subscribe to their basketball services.   Today,  my first experience with their soccer services,   I would not give them a passing grade.  

Edited by Free kick

Two dangerous crosses by Davies in the first half. I'm watching a stream with Alan Shearer doing the commentary. Just before the half he was praising Davies' crossing ability and how he would have liked to play with him. He noted that when Davies picks his head up you know the cross is coming and that allows the strikers to make their runs as opposed to a player who is prone to cut back and forth multiple times, throwing off the rhythm of the players timing their runs.

Edited by Norrin Radd