The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Here is to Phonzie, his friends and family. To those have helped him develop. Most of all a glass raised to all of you on here past and present that have spent years dreaming of moments like this. Moments lots of nations like where I grew up would take for granted. Glorious stuff and another milestone for Canadian football. On to the next step.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Here is to Phonzie, his friends and family. To those have helped him develop. Most of all a glass raised to all of you on here past and present that have spent years dreaming of moments like this. Moments lots of nations like where I grew up would take for granted. Glorious stuff and another milestone for Canadian football. On to the next step.

Cheers.

Could have done without this dig, but cheers. Congrats Phonzy

10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Consideration?  It's in the bag.

It probably is, I am just thinking that there are still enough clueless members of the Canadian media that will think it should go to Conor McDavid or any random Canuck on whichever team wins the Stanley Cup. I guess it won’t go to a CFL player at least 

40 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I love how every tweet about him has some Ghanaian/African people saying how he’s actually not Canadian but Ghanaian/Liberian.

I don't mind sharing Phonzie because  he's ours. The more followers and fans he attracts the more lucrative his endorsements and publicity for Canadian soccer. What irks me is the Canadian corporate world just missing a huge opportunity. The Davies story epitomizes what Canada is all about and now he is  a hot commodity. Typical.... too late to the party.

14 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Don't know what to even say about this. Always liked him, but never imagined him to be starting right away like this. Such a huge achievement. I'm hoping a lot of Canadian kids are watching this.

Unfortunately, when neither SNP nor TSN or CBC showing the game

through cable/satellite tv, that's not happening.

BTW, When was the last time Canadian soccer news on headlines of major sport websites? 1986?

2 minutes ago, lamptern said:

BTW, When was the last time Canadian soccer news on headlines of major sport websites? 1986?

Yeah but it was live-streamed on Twitter and I suspect there are more kids on Twitter than who would grab a remote and flip to CBC.  

Any way we can tell how many watched the live stream on Twitter?

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, lamptern said:

FIFA Club World Cup Canadian rights are held by Sportsnet and TVA Sports. With Davies in there, Sportsnet would be crazy not to air the tournament 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah but it was live-streamed on Twitter and I suspect there are more kids on Twitter than who would grab a remote and flip to CBC.  

Any way we can tell how many watched the live stream on Twitter?

No way. A tiny fraction of people in Canada watched this because it was not on television. It’s a real shame. The live streaming only option is a disaster for the exposure of soccer in this country. Kids have no access. Casual fans have no access. It’s for middle aged, wealthy urbanites. A niche viewership of core supporters. Will have a long term impact in my opinion. European football has basically vanished from mainstream conversation in Canada. 

Having a Twitter war with these fool , basically telling me that Davies more or less is not really Canadian lol. Canada has nothing to do with his development lol. 
“  Alphonso's talent is from his African ancestry.
No different from the guys I played with who were Italian, Portuguese.
Their talent came from their ancestry “. Incredible and this fool is supposedly Canadian tweeting  this crap!