The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

That is if Davies goes to Manchester City or Liverpool 

Seem like the most realistic options, but I don't know if I see it. For all we know someone comes it at Bayern who appeals to Davies and he just waits it out. No rush necessarily, just like the David situation there was no rush (besides our own impatience).

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Seem like the most realistic options, but I don't know if I see it. For all we know someone comes it at Bayern who appeals to Davies and he just waits it out. No rush necessarily, just like the David situation there was no rush (besides our own impatience).

I kinda feel that if he goes to Real Madrid or Liverpool, he is resigning himself to be a left back, albeit one of the best in the world.  If he wants an opportunity to play more forward on a regular basis, he will probably need to go one or two steps down to a side like a Man U, Juventus or Chelsea (I am not arguing any of those are a good fit, just indicating level) who are willing to take a chance on him making that leap. The goal against Madrid would help if that is what he wants to do. 

19 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I kinda feel that if he goes to Real Madrid or Liverpool, he is resigning himself to be a left back, albeit one of the best in the world.  If he wants an opportunity to play more forward on a regular basis, he will probably need to go one or two steps down to a side like a Man U, Juventus or Chelsea (I am not arguing any of those are a good fit, just indicating level) who are willing to take a chance on him making that leap. The goal against Madrid would help if that is what he wants to do. 

Then I would suggest Chelsea 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Gnabry out for the year. Would be nice if they let Davies take his spot for the last few games. 

Might be too  little too late, but it would be a way to let him try on the role, maybe make him a bit more inclined to stay, and solve Bayern's needs - all in one easy move.  I would be surprised if he didn't find time there in the coming games. 

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Might be too  little too late, but it would be a way to let him try on the role, maybe make him a bit more inclined to stay, and solve Bayern's needs - all in one easy move.  I would be surprised if he didn't find time there in the coming games. 

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. If Bayern wants him to stay, playing him as a winger is probably the best way to make that happen, and he showed he could do it against the best of the best this week, let him prove what he can do during these last few meaningless games and show him if he can hang, he can play where he wants. Not to mention, based on BM's injury report, I am pretty sure that Davies is technically their best in form left winger currently. If he's not your LW, I think they'd have to put Sane there, and then like Tel or Zargoza at RW. Either that or that Australian kid they signed back in the winter.

Plus, if Bayern do decide they're done with Davies, there's no point in playing him at LB, since they'd probably think Mazraoui is a better option- he'll probably be the LB next season assuming they recall Stanisic as their RB, unless they do really go for Hernandez.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Moreover, this helps Real Madrid as they wouldn't have to pay a fee. I wouldn't mind Davies going back to compete with Coman and Gnabry for a wing spot, but I would still prefer he leave in the summer.

This performance has me dreaming about what Davies as a winger could look like, maybe for Liverpool for instance. Maybe if they offload the Colombian Luiz Diaz (thought I read that somewhere), then Davies could step into that role and double as a left back alternative to Robertson, who is now 30 years old. They have done business with Liverpool recently over Gravenburch and for Liverpool maybe spending the 50M (or whatever) Bayern may demand could be seen as a long term investment for both positions, left back and left wing. 

Again, give me Real Madrid over Liverpool, but going to the Premier League and getting chances to play as a winger would be a very solid alternative.  

I just don’t know if anyone would pay such a fee to hope that Davies could become their star winger, though on the surface, I would not be opposed to seeing him “drop down a level” and play for Liverpool or somewhere similar. Davies-Nunez-Salah front three would go so crazy. 

Watching Davies for Bayern this year & his body language on the field, it looked like he was not happy, unsure, lacking his usual confidence and swagger. He doesn't seem to have really bonded with his teammates other than Musiala who always  makes the pass if Davies is open. Really cant say that for the rest of the players. vs RM he looked very different though. His touches were great, he used his pace to get open frequently, had at least 2 great chances at goal, 1 went off a defender and then his amazing strike. He looked like the player he was under Flick & Nagelsmann. Clearly he was pumped to play RM and relished the chance to play as an attacker without the defensive responsibilities, but I do wonder if there are other issues at Bayern that are pushing him away from the club.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, frmr said:

Even if Madrid don't go in for him, if he doesn't want to stay at Bayern, there will be no shortage of big clubs that will gladly offer him a contract. He would fit in very well in the Premier League as well.

But he's only come to terms with one team. And apparently only 1 team has shown interest to buy him.

Why screw around for a year and a bit dead duck refusing to renew and going on a free, denying Bayern the chance to get a transfer for you? It creates even more animosity with the club, who besides won't pay you that salary you requested. 

Madrid plans systematically the way a club should. They don't need to go an open auction in a year competing with a bunch of other teams uninterested now but happy to try to grab Davies on a free transfer. All of these other lovely suggestions are actually baseless: his agent has spoken to one team who can afford to buy him on their terms now.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, GasPed said:

Latest word from Bayern is that Hansi Flick now has the inside track, and negotiations are getting serious.  This could actually be attractive to Davies since he and Flick got on well, and Flick gave Davies a lot of latitude at LB.  But who knows where this saga will go?…

If Flick is back at Bayern, then I can easily see Davies staying

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Oliver Glasner is being linked with the Bayern job.

Palace have looked really good under him. 

Maybe Davies should stay and be the wing back of his dreams😜. (Plays 3 at the back, also uses fullbacks as centre backs sometimes) 

More seriously: nothing done and dusted yet

The offer at Real Madrid is around 20 gross. Bayern has not even been willing to meet that half way.

So they are clearly and obviously asking him to leave by doing that. They've decided they'll take the 40-50 million and use it to improve other salaries and sign guys the new coach will want. 

Of course it is made worse by the fact they have no manager, no project, no clear idea where they are going, and no one at the club is able to tell him how they'll play and what role he'll have in that set-up. So stating "final offer" in those conditions is a message.

I wonder, depending on how the summer goes, if we will see another team able to put down 50 million for Davies, just saying this as if not, Bayern cannot be holding out for a high fee. If you sell to Madrid you can ask a good fee, but if there are no other bidders, there is no basis for negotiation: take it or leave it.

The fact that not one club has been rumoured to be interested suggests that 1-no other wants him, which is unlikely 2-no other feels they can match the salary requirements, which is quite possible and 3-no other would pay that fee, combining with 2, and 4-the word is out he's made his deal with Real Madrid and they are not courting other offers.

Anyone else made the connection that Madrid buying Davies is Ancelotti gifting that 10-15% to the Whitecaps, 5-7.5 million euros to his wife's home team.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 5/10/2024 at 9:46 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Gnabry out for the year. Would be nice if they let Davies take his spot for the last few games. 

On 5/10/2024 at 11:31 AM, dyslexic nam said:

So much for that idea.  

Starting at LB. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The offer at Real Madrid is around 20 gross. Bayern has not even been willing to meet that half way.

So they are clearly and obviously asking him to leave by doing that. They've decided they'll take the 40-50 million and use it to improve other salaries and sign guys the new coach will want. 

Of course it is made worse by the fact they have no manager, no project, no clear idea where they are going, and no one at the club is able to tell him how they'll play and what role he'll have in that set-up. So stating "final offer" in those conditions is a message.

I wonder, depending on how the summer goes, if we will see another team able to put down 50 million for Davies, just saying this as if not, Bayern cannot be holding out for a high fee. If you sell to Madrid you can ask a good fee, but if there are no other b

The fact that not one club has been rumoured to be interested suggests that 1-no other wants him, which is unlikely 2-no other feels they can match the salary requirements, which is quite possible and 3-no other would pay that fee, combining with 2, and 4-the word is out he's made his deal with Real Madrid and they are not courting other offers.

Anyone else made the connection that Madrid buying Davies is Ancelotti gifting that 10-15% to the Whitecaps, 5-7.5 million euros to his wife's home team.

I think you have been doing some selective (Spanish?) reading.

All that text is based on the premise that there have not been other rumors and that simple is not the case.

The Real Madrid is the most prominent and probably most likely but all journos are prone to make it up details and making things sound more done than they are.  No matter where they are based.

In other words, I have very little faith in all those numbers in there, and you are quoting them like they are gospel.

Bottom line: I want him to go where he will play and hopefully play to his strengths.  

If that is Real Madrid that would be amazing, but I'm not taking anything as fact yet.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder, depending on how the summer goes, if we will see another team able to put down 50 million for Davies, just saying this as if not, Bayern cannot be holding out for a high fee. If you sell to Madrid you can ask a good fee, but if there are no other bidders, there is no basis for negotiation: take it or leave it.

Davies to Real Madrid would be huge or other teams he would be a fit on: Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, AC Milan, Inter Milan 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So much for that idea.  

Starting at LB. 

He got an assist, looks like he’s playing a good game, so at least there’s that. I see they started Zaragoza at LW which is nice to see. His transfer reminds me a bit of Tajon’s with Inter- signed, barely plays, coach tells the media it’s a big jump for him, it will take time, his German and English are apparently not so great, but he’s a good kid, still on track, very pleased with how he’s training, blah blah, so I’m happy to see that he finally gets his chance.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think you have been doing some selective (Spanish?) reading.

All that text is based on the premise that there have not been other rumors and that simple is not the case.

The Real Madrid is the most prominent and probably most likely but all journos are prone to make it up details and making things sound more done than they are.  No matter where they are based.

In other words, I have very little faith in all those numbers in there, and you are quoting them like they are gospel.

Bottom line: I want him to go where he will play and hopefully play to his strengths.  

If that is Real Madrid that would be amazing, but I'm not taking anything as fact yet.

Wrong, sorry. There is not a single half-reliable rumour in the press, English, German, Spanish, French or Italian, that gets to even 5% of the articles and press about the Real Madrid interest. In La Gazzetta, in Equipe, Kicker, even if you look at the English press, there are timid rumours about Chelsea interest from January, but crumbs compared to the other.

Guys from OneSoccer listing random club names, like folks do here, well that is unsubstantiated pub banter and does not constitute anything remotely valid.

That points to one thing: Real Madrid has asked his agent, if interested, to not shop him around, because all that does is raise a possible transfer fee. All evidence points to the agent filtering in one direction because he has been informed of a real interest from a club the player too is interested in.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wrong, sorry. There is not a single half-reliable rumour in the press, English, German, Spanish, French or Italian, that gets to even 5% of the articles and press about the Real Madrid interest. In La Gazzetta, in Equipe, Kicker, even if you look at the English press, there are timid rumours about Chelsea interest from January, but crumbs compared to the other.

Guys from OneSoccer listing random club names, like folks do here, well that is unsubstantiated pub banter and does not constitute anything remotely valid.

That points to one thing: Real Madrid has asked his agent, if interested, to not shop him around, because all that does is raise a possible transfer fee. All evidence points to the agent filtering in one direction because he has been informed of a real interest from a club the player too is interested in.

So what you are saying is there were/are other rumours. 

Your original statement:

"The fact that not one club has been rumoured..."

Even Fabrizio Romano has to walk things back sometimes.

Let's not talk about what we read as facts because they aren't yet. Especially the numbers.

Again if he going there to be a starter - beyond amazing - but it is not close to being true yet.

Edit: I see there have been Man City links this week, and last month.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 5/11/2024 at 12:56 AM, Obinna said:

This is where I mention @SthMelbRed road to get a Liverpool perspective. What do you think of that idea, mate?

As much as I'd love the see the Phonz at Liverpool, and the scenario you've described isn't too far-fetched, from a football point-of-view, it's highly unlikely to happen. Klopp's going and the power base at the club, with regards to recruitment, is going to Michael Edwards. Edwards' MO is more to go for the guy who's looking like being the next thing, not necessarily the guy who's already the thing. So, spending a big chunk of the club's transfer budget on a world-class LB probably isn't high on the agenda. If Liverpool spend big this summer, it'll be on a CB and/or a top DM. If they move for a first-choice attacking player it'll only be if one of the current 5 (Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota, and Gakpo) move on.