The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Ho Hum...canadian teenager played ok in the biggest match on the planet this year, but i heard somewhere he was bad defensively.  Grrr.  Pesky Neymar and Mappe...and before that messi and Suarez...and before that Chelsea, they can be tricky for a converted teenage winger playing LB.   Well maybe he can work on that before we get to World Cup finals against Spain, France or Brazil.

36 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Ho Hum...canadian teenager played ok in the biggest match on the planet this year, but i heard somewhere he was bad defensively.  Grrr.  Pesky Neymar and Mappe...and before that messi and Suarez...and before that Chelsea, they can be tricky for a converted teenage winger playing LB.   Well maybe he can work on that before we get to World Cup finals against Spain, France or Brazil.

After shutting PSG out for the first time in 11 months 

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Mappe lol

On 8/24/2020 at 4:14 PM, Ruffian said:

I would say calling MLS a 2nd tier league is a compliment. It definitely is not a 1st tier and league and nobody would argue that, but being a 2nd tier league potentially puts them in the same category as Holland, Portugal, Brazil and Argentina. Those are leagues MLS would love to be compared to!

Just a curiosity: how do you rate MLS compared to Mexican League? I know that Mexican teams win almost every year the Concacaf champions league and this looks quite weird to me since usually we have aging champions (but still great players) moving from big European leagues to MLS (Pirlo, Matuidi, etc..) and hopeless lemons like Iturbe going to the Mexican league. I would therefore expect MLS to be much more competitive than Mexican league so this puzzles me....

57 minutes ago, Danoos said:

Just a curiosity: how do you rate MLS compared to Mexican League? I know that Mexican teams win almost every year the Concacaf champions league and this looks quite weird to me since usually we have aging champions (but still great players) moving from big European leagues to MLS (Pirlo, Matuidi, etc..) and hopeless lemons like Iturbe going to the Mexican league. I would therefore expect MLS to be much more competitive than Mexican league so this puzzles me....

For one thing, the quality of domestic talent in the Liga MX is much higher (and deeper) when compared with MLS.

1 hour ago, Danoos said:

I would rate the Mexican league ahead of MLS for sure. LigaMX teams generally have bigger payrolls and are able to assemble deeper teams.The difference seems to get smaller every year.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

For one thing, the quality of domestic talent in the Liga MX is much higher (and deeper) when compared with MLS.

Exactly.. take the Blaise Matuidi example at Inter Miami. Sure he's quality and would start on any Liga MX team.. but by the same token no Liga MX team has a player like Jay Chapman getting minutes.

6 hours ago, Danoos said:

Liga MX still has an advantage over MLS when it comes to squad depth. The very best MLS players are superior, in general.

Even though the talent gap is closing, I think Mexican teams still maintain a psychological advantage too.

That said, I think it is only a matter of time before an MLS team wins the concacaf champions league. 

Edited by Obinna

Ok many thanks for your replies on the MLS :)

Below another link on “your kid”, it is from Sky Italy after Lyon-Bayern, there was Capello (who won as a coach several Serie A, Liga and Champions league) and Costacurta (who played in the defense of AC Milan and Italy in the 90s with Maldini and Baresi and wan several CL, serie A and was runnner up at 94 wc) and another pundit.

https://video.sky.it/sport/calcio/champions-league/video/condo-capello-alphonso-davies-610241

From second 22 basically they say this:

Pundit: Is it possible with all the Italians who live in Canada that nobody signalled him, and Bayern bought the kid?

Capello: I called in November Sabatini (a famous Director of football who has worked in many serie A teams) and told him “there are very few people around who understand anything of football, how cannot they have notices this guy?”

(they show a video) Here it is, look what a recover!

Pundit: this one is a guy who can redifine the term of the LB role

Capello: he is of another level, he also made two pass-through balls, he put Perisic in front of the keeper

Technycal, physical qualities....really extraordinary

Joirnalist (with Costacurta confirming almost loghing): no difficulties on the 1 vs 1, he accepts the duel 

Interesting reply to another politician
iBC_Vy0v_bigger.jpg

reminder that Erin O’Toole is publicly committed to defunding the type of refugee settlement programs that allowed Alphonso and his parents to come here
Quote Tweet

mKf42k3O_normal.jpg

Erin O'Toole

@ErinOTooleMP
· Aug 24
Congratulations to Alphonso Davies, 1st Canadian international to win a men's @ChampionsLeague title. What an inspiring story - from a refugee camp to to a championship! twitter.com/alphonsodavies…

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

facts offend you?

It's a charged world. We watch this game to get away, we are here to support the game in this country. There are a lot of Conservatives and Liberals on here and all of them have right and wrong ideas. There's another forum out there to argue about those things. Or if you really must, the off-topic section. 

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

It's a charged world. We watch this game to get away, we are here to support the game in this country. There are a lot of Conservatives and Liberals on here and all of them have right and wrong ideas. There's another forum out there to argue about those things. Or if you really must, the off-topic section. 

Ewwww...... thank god Canada isn't a two-party system like our neighbours down south 😄

But yes, let's keep this thread about Davies and how amazing and special he is for Canadian footy!

7 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Can we keep politics off the board?

If a policy by FIFA or by our government or CSA governance hampers our talent pool, then it should be up for discussion. 

You do realize you're on a forum supporting national teams representing a political entity called Canada.

These national teams fall under the CSA which is funded in part by the federal government. Top tier national teams like the women's senior team get Own the Podium funding from the federal government. The so-called National Stadium where these national teams regularly play was funded initially by governments. 

54 minutes ago, red card said:

If a policy by FIFA or by our government or CSA governance hampers our talent pool, then it should be up for discussion. 

You do realize you're on a forum supporting national teams representing a political entity called Canada.

These national teams fall under the CSA which is funded in part by the federal government. Top tier national teams like the women's senior team get Own the Podium funding from the federal government. The so-called National Stadium where these national teams regularly play was funded initially by governments. 

The Alphonso Davies thread should be about his soccer, not the politics around refugee programs and whether or not that would hamper our talent pool. It is not like every refugee is a potential national team player anyways. 

No, he was right. You want to talk about that, by all means, just do it elsewhere. When you bring up politics, someone is going to get pissed off and offended. Someone is going to cross the line. It clutters threads unnecessarily. The cons outweigh the pros.

Edited by Obinna

24 minutes ago, red card said:

The post he was replying to had nothing to do with soccer, it was "Interesting reply to another politician" , and the reply was not written by a national team player, or by anyone connected to our national team, it was purely a political statement. And it has derailed the thread. 99% of us on the forum are sick of these arguements, as can be seen by the postive reactions to our posts asking if we can keep irrelevant politics off of the forum about soccer. 

7 hours ago, BradMack said:

So they do offend you then?

5 hours ago, BradMack said:

The post he was replying to had nothing to do with soccer, it was "Interesting reply to another politician" , and the reply was not written by a national team player, or by anyone connected to our national team, it was purely a political statement. And it has derailed the thread. 99% of us on the forum are sick of these arguements, as can be seen by the postive reactions to our posts asking if we can keep irrelevant politics off of the forum about soccer. 

No, not really, OP was just stating what is in FACT in said political figure's platform. Sorry to cut it to you, but international sport is political by nature, pretending otherwise doesn't make it less so.