The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Let's relax.  It's one thing to do it against Messi and Barcelona.   The real test comes in October when we'll see if he can do it on a humid Saturday night in (checks notes) Turks & Caicos or Anguilla

It's one thing to get past Messi, Vidal, Semedo, and Pique (can't say I've heard of any of these guys before) but we're kidding ourselves if we think he can beat Daniel Lovitz, not happening.

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

So where are we as to Phonzie's position in the NT? Left-wing? Wingback? leftback in a narrow formation?

I probably sound like a broken record (this question gets asked a lot) but if we play a team that Is just going to bunker against us, I say LB. If we play a team that we want to counter attack, then LW or striker (like the first Nations League game against USA)

8 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

He hardly put a foot wrong all game and was dangerous on the attack. 

Heres some highlights..

https://mobile.twitter.com/BnsComps/status/1294399315042021377

I suspect that he was really nervous out of the gate, facing his boyhood hero, and all. He was caught up field by a couple of balls over the top in the first few minutes, but then settled down and put in a solid performance. He had a couple of good deliveries into the box in the first half, but was let down by his teammates on the end of those. But, then he had THOSE five minutes on the hour mark where he absolutely lit up the whole football world.

24 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I suspect that he was really nervous out of the gate, facing his boyhood hero, and all. He was caught up field by a couple of balls over the top in the first few minutes, but then settled down and put in a solid performance. He had a couple of good deliveries into the box in the first half, but was let down by his teammates on the end of those. But, then he had THOSE five minutes on the hour mark where he absolutely lit up the whole football world.

Not to pile on and it is easily lost in an 8 goal glut but Bayern's defence as a whole was at 6s and 7s early on.  Messi hit the post with a cross that should have found someone and Suarez should have done better with an open look.  Not to mention the own goal.  Davies got passed around a bit (ie. done by 1-2s) by some of the best players in the world at that.  But they offensively powered through it - helped by Barcelona stupidly refusing to stop playing out from the back.

They came to exert dominance on the game and Davies was an important part of that machine. 

Opening up nicely for them, need to keep focused and finish the job. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 8/16/2020 at 3:08 PM, TGAA_Star said:

To think Barcelona's front office rejected the recommendation to sign Davies...just read an article about it too.

Apparently they tried with a late bid (I’ve heard Man Utd and PSG did this too) after hearing Bayern had an offer in for Davies, but it was rejected and Davies had already been convinced by Bayern’s plan for him. 

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Apparently they tried with a late bid (I’ve heard Man Utd and PSG did this too) after hearing Bayern had an offer in for Davies, but it was rejected and Davies had already been convinced by Bayern’s plan for him. 

And with the benefit of hindsight, it looks like a damn smart decision.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

14 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

The kid is probably more of a legend in Germany already than he is yet in Canada.  Sports media in Canada should be all over him right now

The problem is that TSN and Sportsnet don't use their respective 'news' programs as actual news programs, but as marketing tools for their broadcasting content. Davies/Bayern should be the second story, at least, on every edition of Sports Center, after the hockey playoffs right now, but DAZN has the Canadian broadcast rights for the Champions League.

19 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The problem is that TSN and Sportsnet don't use their respective 'news' programs as actual news programs, but as marketing tools for their broadcasting content. Davies/Bayern should be the second story, at least, on every edition of Sports Center, after the hockey playoffs right now, but DAZN has the Canadian broadcast rights for the Champions League.

Bingo!  Also the reason TSN will never even acknowledge the existence of the CPL but that's a rant for another forum

35 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I wanted to tune into Tim and Sid the evening of Phonzie’s big game against Barca to see what kind of mention (if any) he would get by them.  Of all the generalist sports commentators On the big 2, I find them most likely to give footy some air time (regardless of what some folks think about the over-the-top nature of some of them commentary).  I missed all but the very tail end of the show but saw Sid wearing a Canada jersey so I figured it probably came up.  

But I agree - the promotion of their broadcasting properties seems to be primary mandate of their highlights and sport news shows.  

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yes they do need to cover Davies more and they follow the ESPN model of using their highlights show as a promo first and news worthiness second. 

But this time it was second story on TSN Sportscentre that night if you consider all the Cdn team hockey highlights as one. So shown before American hockey team highlights. 

Social media helps as one of the anchors intro'ed segment by saying I saw Davies trending on twitter, so he must have done something. Reflects she didn't even watch a snippet of the match and maybe didn't even know it was on.

It was also co highlight of the night with Bo Horvat's goal.

Edited by red card

3 minutes ago, red card said:

Yes they do need to cover Davies more and they follow the ESPN model of using their highlights show as a promo first and news worthiness second. 

But this time it was second story on TSN Sportscentre that night if you consider all the Cdn team hockey highlights as one. So shown before American hockey team highlights. 

Social media helps as one of the anchors intro'ed segment by saying I saw Davies trending on twitter, so he must have done something. Reflects she didn't even watch a snippet of the match and maybe didn't even know it was on.

It was also co highlight of the night with Bo Horvat's goal.

I must say that, as an '80s kid who grew up in a rival Smythe Division city, I'm 100% on board with Dale Hawerchuk being 1, 2, and 3 on every sports program in the country today. Phonz should still be Top 5, though!

Transfermarkt lists the following as the bonuses that can be triggered in the purchase.

Whitecaps would receive €1 million should Bayern, with Davies in the starting lineup, win the Champions League on Sunday.

Additional bonuses include amount of games played for Bayern, goals scored, a potential Ballon d'Or trophy, and a percentage of any future transfer.

A potential Ballon d'or? Top player in the world? That is pretty ambitious targets.