The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

21 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Whitecaps would receive €1 million should Bayern, with Davies in the starting lineup, win the Champions League on Sunday.

Additional bonuses include amount of games played for Bayern, goals scored, a potential Ballon d'Or trophy, and a percentage of any future transfer.

I'm sure they'll make really smart and positive decisions with that extra money.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Don’t have DAZN - how is Davies doing? 

He didn't have a bad game but certainly not his best. I think Bayern Munich's game plan today was to conserve energy for the final and just do enough to get the win, nothing more. If it wasn't for Lyon's lack of finishing, this strategy could have backfired for Bayern. 

31 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Davies head to head with Kylian Mbappe will be interesting. Davies may not push forward as much with Mbappe’s speed. Hope it’s a great game.

Very exciting match up. I'd like to see Davies get forward a few times. That'll keep PSG honest, might even force Mbappe into a more defensive role (unlikely).  What a year for our lad! And to think he is only going to get smarter, more technically proficient and, believe it or not, faster.  (Sprinters do not hit their prime until their later 20s, usually.)

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

He has been watching a lot of hockey. :)   A lot clichés answers there at the start. “Yeah, everyone’s happy, we played well, now we gotta focus on the next game”.  Very reminscent of hockey player interview with a towel around his neck after a period as he is skating off the ice to the dressing room.

Edited by Free kick

37 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He has been watching a lot of hockey. :)   A lot clichés answers there at the start. “Yeah, everyone’s happy, we played well, now we gotta focus on the next game”.  Very reminscent of hockey player interview with a towel around his neck after a period as he is skating off the ice to the dressing room.

He probably has been, but on the other hand, you don't hear "Messi didn't take my jersey" from too many hockey players. Maybe Alexander Mogilny might have said that, or Al Iafrate, but that's about it.

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

He didn't have a bad game but certainly not his best. I think Bayern Munich's game plan today was to conserve energy for the final and just do enough to get the win, nothing more. If it wasn't for Lyon's lack of finishing, this strategy could have backfired for Bayern. 

True, but he'd be getting more praise for his efforts today if Perisic had finished the chance that Davies served up on a platter for him with a great through ball.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

So if he plays, he will be the first Canadian international to play in the final. Unfortunately not the first Canadian citizen, I had to double check that cause I don’t tend to remember accomplishments of that other Bayern Munich player.

I think that dickhead actually played in 2 finals and missed 2 through injury.

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Those are the two.

This is inspiring me to check for different confederations as well. How many Canadian internationals have been in a Champions League final, in UEFA, CONCACAF, etc. I'll do my best to make compile that info, might start a thread for it.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is inspiring me to check for different confederations as well. How many Canadian internationals have been in a Champions League final, in UEFA, CONCACAF, etc. I'll do my best to make compile that info, might start a thread for it.

Played: in CONCACAF, there's Will Johnson, Patrice Bernier,  Maxim Tissot, Jonathan Osorio, Ashtone Morgan, Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton. There are probably some others, but I only checked in the MLS era

18 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Played: in CONCACAF, there's Will Johnson, Patrice Bernier,  Maxim Tissot, Jonathan Osorio, Ashtone Morgan, Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton. There are probably some others, but I only checked in the MLS era

That lines up with what I have found. I am sticking to just the "Champions League" branded tournaments just to make my job more reasonable. In AFC Adam Hemati made an appearance in a final as well. Just starting to check CAF but I don't expect to find anything there and not likely in CONMEBOL either.

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Apparently if Bayern win, Davies will the first ever teenage defender to win the European Cup / Campions League. Wow. 

Is that first teenage defender that played in (and won) the final? There would have to be teenage defenders on the books of past champions, just not making some sort of contribution to the win. I am curious what that contribution is. First to get a winners medal? How much does someone need to play to get one?