The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Makes you wonder about or FA even more.. how are they not making Davies and David jerseys accessible for purchase?

Bless Christine Sinclair but she has nowhere near the talent/charisma of Alphonso and she had Canada jerseys selling.

I think that's a question for Nike.  I think you'll see them start to push his shirt through their distribution channels in the wake of this.

21 minutes ago, Big_M said:

didnt watch the match but apparently he was bad defensively..obviously doesnt matter as they won but something to review for national team

Where did you find this analysis? His defending was better, and safer, than usual, even if he didn't do much overlapping or attacking. Bayern kept a clean sheet against one of the best attacking trios in the world, and few of PSG's chances came from Alphonso's side.

19 hours ago, Kent said:

Phonsie deserved every bit of praise Shearer gave, but just for context Shearer was commenting on “DAZN Canada”, so there may be a bit of added motivation for him to highlight Davies’ contributions.

21 hours ago, trueviking said:

No way. A tiny fraction of people in Canada watched this because it was not on television. It’s a real shame. The live streaming only option is a disaster for the exposure of soccer in this country. Kids have no access. Casual fans have no access. It’s for middle aged, wealthy urbanites. A niche viewership of core supporters. Will have a long term impact in my opinion. European football has basically vanished from mainstream conversation in Canada. 

You know what DAZN's subscription rate is? Genuinely asking. Also, soccer fans know how to watch the game, whether it be DAZN, IP TV, what have you. I also am curious to know if DAZN's subscriber base is middle aged/urbanites like you say. I have my doubts though.

19 hours ago, Kent said:

Phonsie deserved every bit of praise Shearer gave, but just for context Shearer was commenting on “DAZN Canada”, so there may be a bit of added motivation for him to highlight Davies’ contributions.

Yeah, at one point I was going to create the Alphonso Davies drinking game. Everytime Shearer mentioned him and or Canada, I was going to take a shot of Jack Daniel's. Anybow, the foolish idea was abandoned, and for good reason. Probably would have needed my stomach pumped by the 80th minute had I gone through with it.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

According to the first link, Davies had a better match than over half the PSG starters including Neymar, Mbappe and Di Maria - perhaps that's something for Brazil, France and Argentina to consider?

None of these links seem to say that he was "bad" (he gets fairly average marks but so do most of the players - or worse than average in several cases) but they do mention that he seemed a bit nervous in the first half and that was also my impression. But he had far more license to be nervous than any other player that played in that game yesterday. That nervousness seemed to be gone late in the first half when, even though he was on a yellow, he stood up an attacking Di Maria, stripped him of the ball and calmly passed it to Alaba - who promptly gave the ball away and almost cost his team the game if it weren't for Mbappe not getting the sort of strike off that one would have expected from him.

For me his yellow card (although I don’t remember it anymore) was a mistake. But the play that really could have cost the team was a small thing. He marked Di Maria who passed it off. Davies followed the ball to pressure the other player but that wasn’t needed, and he left Di Maria with space to get the return pass and get a shot off. It wasn’t as big a blunder as the Alaba one that resulted in the Mbappe chance, but it was definitely a mistake.

After that I don’t remember other mistakes. Overall it was a decent game, which is pretty good considering the occasion.

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

For me his yellow card (although I don’t remember it anymore) was a mistake. But the play that really could have cost the team was a small thing. He marked Di Maria who passed it off. Davies followed the ball to pressure the other player but that wasn’t needed, and he left Di Maria with space to get the return pass and get a shot off. It wasn’t as big a blunder as the Alaba one that resulted in the Mbappe chance, but it was definitely a mistake.

I saw that too, chasing the ball not unlike Metcalfe leaving his coverage position on that Laryea goal on Friday.  Gotta stay disciplined and trust your mates.  Fortunately, Di Maria missed his opportunity.

I thought he show improved far post awareness, though, and that's good.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

After that I don’t remember other mistakes. Overall it was a decent game, which is pretty good considering the occasion.

If we’re thinking of the same play I thought Goretzka should have followed Di Maria, not Davies. I think he was the midfielder that got caught marking no one

Edited by Aird25

He was playing in defense against a team containing Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria, Draxler, and Verratti, amongst others. If you were expecting that PSG wouldn't get a single sniff off him in 90 minutes, you were being unrealistic. That we can talk about only 2-3 moments in the match as criticism of his performance only reinforces how well he's actually done.

8 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

If we’re thinking of the same play I thought Goretzka should have followed Di Maria, not Davies. I think he was the midfielder that got caught marking no one

The one I am thinking of Di Maria put his shot over the bar.

I am not sure who should have had Di Maria initially, but after doing well to get in front of Di Maria he got caught ball watching and left his man. It was a rookie mistake in my opinion.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I saw that too, chasing the ball not unlike Metcalfe leaving his coverage position on that Laryea goal on Friday.  Gotta stay disciplined and trust your mates.  Fortunately, Di Maria missed his opp

I thought he show improved far post awareness, though, and that's good.

There were a couple of times Di Maria drifted off him at the fat post that Neymar at least once and I can’t remember the other player didn’t pick him out. I thought he was ball watching way too much. 

To be frank, I didn’t think he had a great match.  Was ok, nothing more which is still saying something for a champions league match. Especially as most of the players on both sides were only ok

Edited by An Observer
Grammar

28 minutes ago, An Observer said:

There were a couple of times Di Maria drifted off him at the fat post that Neymar at least once and I can’t remember the other player didn’t pick him out. I thought he was ball watching way too much. 

To be frank, I didn’t think he had a great match.  Was ok, nothing more which is still saying something for a champions league match. Especially as most of the players on both sides were only ok

Good points and they illustrate the challenges of young players learning the craft of defending and some guys never learn it properly.  Fortunately, they didn't turn into egregious errors like we saw in the Haiti GC match a year ago.