The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

24 minutes ago, red card said:

When other footballers are tweeting about a Canadian....

First one isn’t actually Martial.

But nice to see praise from Robertson. I do tend to twitter search Davies (like many of our players, to try to find some real fan opinions) but the most frustrating thing is sorting through all the “OMG Robertson > Davies”, “noooo Davies>Robertson” tweets.. which I’m assuming are just 17 year old boys that are Bayern/Liverpool/FIFA2020 fans.

Although it is quite nice to see the appreciation of our boy Alphonso 

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who can stop Bayern now? City? 

A Canadian winning the Champions League would be amazing! Before Phonzie, who would have come the closest? We've had a few Canadians (CMNT players) play in the group stages; any in the knockout rounds or round of 16?

I think Atiba played in the R16 a few years ago with Besiktas. Radzinski went deep with Anderlecht, as well, about 20 years ago. Can't think of any others.

6 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think Atiba played in the R16 a few years ago with Besiktas. Radzinski went deep with Anderlecht, as well, about 20 years ago. Can't think of any others.

Just checked...2017-18, Besiktas won their group and were drawn against Bayern in the R16. Atiba went 90 in the first leg, away loss, 5-nil. He played the last 30 in the home leg, another loss, 1-3.

In 2000-01 season Radzinski's Anderlecht won their first stage group, but finished 3rd in their second stage group. There was no R16, as the teams progressing from the second group stage advanced to the QFs.

21 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t know how to link to a tweet:

Barça legend Hristo Stoichkov spoke to Bartomeu about Alphonso Davies months before Bayern came on board. Bartomeu's response was "he is Canadian, no thanks."

Not sure how true that is as Barca signed a Canadian from the MLS six months before Bayern signed Davies. 

Imagine if Bayern wins Champions League after winning the Bundesliga title...Phonzie is just adding more trophies on to his resume and I love it. Now if only he could win a Gold Cup with Canada in 2021 or a CONCACAF Nations League with Canada...but he has loads of time to win international trophies with his country of Canada

28 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Imagine if Bayern wins Champions League after winning the Bundesliga title...Phonzie is just adding more trophies on to his resume and I love it. Now if only he could win a Gold Cup with Canada in 2021 or a CONCACAF Nations League with Canada...but he has loads of time to win international trophies with his country of Canada

Well said. I'm optimistic at the rate Davies and David going we are going to become the elite CONCACAF country I believe they will become.

9 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Let's relax.  It's one thing to do it against Messi and Barcelona.   The real test comes in October when we'll see if he can do it on a humid Saturday night in (checks notes) Turks & Caicos or Anguilla

The sad part is that we often have players who find it harder to perform against “lesser” countries than when they are playing their club footy.  Let’s hope Phonzie can carry his club form into the national game.