The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On 7/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, Yohan said:

This story was picked up by Mundo Deportivo today, but the headline was just "Bundesliga", I Always Wanted to Be an Actor and Still Do. So I thought that might be our man. 

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/bundesliga/20200802/482638073058/siempre-quise-ser-actor-y-aun-quiero-pero-el-futbol-es-lo-primero.html

Then I saw a link to an article I missed from late May explaining how Barça scouted him in Vancouver a few years back. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This story was picked up by Mundo Deportivo today, but the headline was just "Bundesliga", I Always Wanted to Be an Actor and Still Do. So I thought that might be our man. 

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/bundesliga/20200802/482638073058/siempre-quise-ser-actor-y-aun-quiero-pero-el-futbol-es-lo-primero.html

Then I saw a link to an article I missed from late May explaining how Barça scouted him in Vancouver a few years back. 

Barca and PSG both made late offers but it was already too late

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-english-football-missed-out-on-alphonso-davies-the-bundesligas-breakout-star-vrr953702

So, I see on the program guide that Optus Sport, the local rights holder, is replaying the CL group stage match between Spurs and Bayern in London. The match was played at the start of October. I put it on just before halftime and Davies is nowhere to be seen. Can you imagine a big game now where Bayern leave the Phonz on the bench? Let us never forget how meteoric his rise has been over the last 10 months.

17 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

So, I see on the program guide that Optus Sport, the local rights holder, is replaying the CL group stage match between Spurs and Bayern in London. The match was played at the start of October. I put it on just before halftime and Davies is nowhere to be seen. Can you imagine a big game now where Bayern leave the Phonz on the bench? Let us never forget how meteoric his rise has been over the last 10 months.

I watched the same game 2 days ago. I have exactly the same shock as the roster reminded me how Phonzi have rocketed since then. Can't wait for the coming Saturday.

My extremely unpopular opinion is that on some level I wish Davies was more like Pulisic where he was a winger scoring goals for a big team, rather than being turned into a left back.

Obviously I'm very happy he's a regular staple for Bayern now, but I'll always be a bit disappointed our best attacking prospect we've ever had (Is David taking the role over though?) has been turned into a left back.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

My extremely unpopular opinion is that on some level I wish Davies was more like Pulisic where he was a winger scoring goals for a big team, rather than being turned into a left back.

Obviously I'm very happy he's a regular staple for Bayern now, but I'll always be a bit disappointed our best attacking prospect we've ever had (Is David taking the role over though?) has been turned into a left back.

There's seemingly no way back now with the signing of Leroy Sane.

If he wants to escape the backline he'll need to leave Bayern

15 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I think you are jumping the gun here. 

I am not expecting Davies to "escape the backline" soon. It really suits him in the way Bayern play. Escape doesn't even feel like the right word to use. I think Alphonso is very much enjoying it. 

That said, he's still just 19 so it is early days. Never say never.

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you are jumping the gun here. 

I am not expecting Davies to "escape the backline" soon. It really suits him in the way Bayern play. Escape doesn't even feel like the right word to use. I think Alphonso is very much enjoying it. 

That said, he's still just 19 so it is early days. Never say never.

I suppose the real reveal will be if he moves to another club in the future he continues on as a left back.

14 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

With Coman hurt all the time and Gnabry getting the occasional injuries I’m sure he’ll still get opportunities on the wings. Isn’t Perišić probably on the way out too?

He still gets to attack defenders at LB anyways, it’s not like he’ll lose his ability to beat defenders. 

10 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Isn’t Perišić probably on the way out too?

Probably partly because the Sane signing is now complete.  Another that needs to stay fit but still a lot of depth there.

We need to remember that Davies might not be playing unless they had a defensive injury crisis.  But that is what good players do especially at world class clubs - take the opportunity presented, whatever it is.  

If you don't rate Sane, I'll have to say that you don't watch him much or footy in general. 
Because Sane is nastyyyy, and right now he's in the top 5 for best LW. 

Can Phonzie be better? 1000% given the consistent opportunity at the position - they have the same skillsets. But right now you're literally comparing a LB to a LW. A LW who's been playing at the highest levels since he was the same age as Phonzie is now. 

We all love Davies...let's just not overdue the bias. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The main obstacle for Davies as a winger is that he's a better LB in Bayer's system at this point in his career. Although, I imagine that's an unpopular opinion amongst this group

1 hour ago, Shway said:

If you don't rate Sane, I'll have to say that you don't watch him much or footy in general. 
Because Sane is nastyyyy, and right now he's in the top 5 for best LW. 

Can Phonzie be better? 1000% given the consistent opportunity at the position - they have the same skillsets. But right now you're literally comparing a LB to a LW. A LW who's been playing at the highest levels since he was the same age as Phonzie is now. 

We all love Davies...let's just not overdue the bias. 

I actually think Davies is a LW playing LB. As far as Sane being nasty.. maybe so but to say he is untouchable at Bayern for the next few years is a bit much. In my opinion right now you have PSG, RM, Barca, Juve & Bayern. To be an untouchable starter, especially up front, you need to be next next level. Sane isn't getting better and he is no way in that category. If he was, he would still be at City. Mark my word, in 2 years Sane wont be a Bayern player 

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I actually think Davies is a LW playing LB. As far as Sane being nasty.. maybe so but to say he is untouchable at Bayern for the next few years is a bit much. In my opinion right now you have PSG, RM, Barca, Juve & Bayern. To be an untouchable starter, especially up front, you need to be next next level. Sane isn't getting better and he is no way in that category. If he was, he would still be at City. Mark my word, in 2 years Sane wont be a Bayern player 

This might be a weirder take than any of your Covid related ones.

17 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Oh man, ever since that Canada 2-1 win over the US where he was brought to tears Golden-Boy has been ducking Davies every chance he gets. Return match... “injured”. Champion League match pre-COVID... “injured”. Return Champions League match... “injured”. 🙃

I think you are overating the US performance in that game by at least a goal. 😉

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Sane chose to leave City...he straight up said he wasn’t re-signing a new contract whatever the offer was. And City definitely didn’t want to see him go....ugh what am I doing. Seems like your in a bubble for all the anti-bubble talk you have.

Hope everything’s okay with you.

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

Sane chose to leave City...he straight up said he wasn’t re-signing a new contract whatever the offer was. And City definitely didn’t want to see him go....ugh what am I doing. Seems like your in a bubble for all the anti-bubble talk you have.

Hope everything’s okay with you.

Nobody with any sense should engage with this clown. Smart choice to stand down. 

47 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Alphonso had a solid game and Bayern were all around brilliant vs Chelsea. 

Next up is Bayern vs Barcelona in the Quarter Finals. Game is Friday in Lisbon.

Can you imagine what it must be like for a 19-year old kid who'd always dreamed of playing football against the best teams in the world to know he is playing Barca in less than a week?!  The fact that Davies is keeping his head through all of this--this entire year, all the media, big games, legendary footballers singing his praises etc.--is a testament to his character, his upbringing, and the good people around him these past many years. While his Edmonton clubs and the Caps deserve kudos, one has to give a special nod to the class and intelligence of the Bayern organization for how they've helped Davies this past year-and-a-half. Oh, and toss in a new language, a new culture and a global pandemic.  Looking forward to the match vs. Barca.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0