The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

With Leroy Sane to Bayern being confirmed, I suspect that Phonz is locked in as a LB for the next few seasons, if anybody was still doubting that.

They're losing Perisic and Coutinho too though

Perisic was always a stop-gap signing because Sane got injured last year, scuppering his move from Man City, and Coutinho was an opportunistic gamble that didn't come good. Sane is going to, barring injury, start at LW most weeks, including every big game, for at least the next 5 years. Unless he also leaves, Coman will take up most of the remaining minutes on that wing. Phonz is a LB in club football. Accept it.

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Perisic was always a stop-gap signing because Sane got injured last year, scuppering his move from Man City, and Coutinho was an opportunistic gamble that didn't come good. Sane is going to, barring injury, start at LW most weeks, including every big game, for at least the next 5 years. Unless he also leaves, Coman will take up most of the remaining minutes on that wing. Phonz is a LB in club football. Accept it.

Exactly but then again Davies if he decides to shift over to LB on the international stage too and decides to make LB his permanent position for Canada too, then Canada would be set at the LB position. No need to even look elsewhere. Then you can just add whatever player to play that LW position...either way I would love that.

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's played 37 of his last 38 games as a LB. There are plenty of reasons to think his future is as a LB, but a signing two years in the making isn't the kicker for me. I don't mind at all though, as I happen to think it's his best position at the moment. I don't think he would have played as big a role this year on the wing. There's competition for every position at Bayern and there always will be. Coutinho and Perisic are very good players, so are Alaba and Hernandez, so is Sane. Davies is only in the squad because he's been very, very good. That's not something I have a hard time accepting. 

Besides, nobody returning from an ACL replacement is a lock to play every big game. 

Bayern Board member reporting  sales of his jersey have skyrocketed and he is already in the top 5 among Bayern players. I have to assume that is for the current year.... still significant for a 19 yr old Canadian kid...wins starting spot on Bayern, wins Bundesliga title, Bundesliga rookie of the year, selected to bundesliga XI for 2019/20 kicker magazine....next up...Canadian athlete of the year!

I can’t seem to find a listing for this game on the OneSoccer app, their website and their YouTube channel, are we sure they’re showing the match.

if they are it’s pretty terrible that it’s this difficult to find out.

I did have to renew my subscription to access content through.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I can’t seem to find a listing for this game on the OneSoccer app, their website and their YouTube channel, are we sure they’re showing the match.

if they are it’s pretty terrible that it’s this difficult to find out.

I did have to renew my subscription to access content through.

The CPL website is reporting that it is on OneSoccer

Side commentary not related to Davies.  I can’t imagine the depth of the German National Team.  They were debating if Thomas Muller has done enough to warrant getting a call up to the National Team.

I could not ever imagine that discussion taking place in Canadian Soccer.  A guy playing AM for the best team in Europe setting the Bundesliga assist record and it’s a debate if he’s good enough to start for the National Team.  Insane.

23 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Side commentary not related to Davies.  I can’t imagine the depth of the German National Team.  They were debating if Thomas Muller has done enough to warrant getting a call up to the National Team.

I could not ever imagine that discussion taking place in Canadian Soccer.  A guy playing AM for the best team in Europe setting the Bundesliga assist record and it’s a debate if he’s good enough to start for the National Team.  Insane.

What they're debating is whether or not Löw (Germany manger) should be forced to recall Muller not if Muller is good enough to get a call up. Last year Löw forced Hummels, Boateng and Muller to essentially retire and now they've all had good seasons but Löw isn't willing to recall them to the NT and admit he was wrong. But yeah I wish we had the depth and the quality that Germany has.

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

davies gets exposed at lb when really challenged..should not play there with the national team..hes a winger

I mean I think this is the first game I've watched him struggle against a winger. He's shown he's good enough defensively to stop Sancho Hakimi and whoever Chelsea and Tottenham threw at him. I think our ideal formation is a 3-5-2 with him as the left mid.

Not Davies' best game by a long shot, but when that kind of performance stands out as poor he's set quite a high standard for himself.

I actually thought he was better with the ball than usual, playing better short combination balls rather than trying to take on his man or passing back, which are his usual options 1a and 1b. But defensively he was all over the place. Again, for me, he never plays that position for Canada.

I thought Davies had a solid first half - not too much going forward, but good defensively and very tidy with the ball.

Bayern really let off in the second half, and dare to say, Davies had a poor second half - Leverkusen players getting in behind him and getting beat occasionally one-on-one (Diaby on a few occasions, who he owned in the first half), sloppy with the ball in an attacking position that lead to a dangerous counter attack and even giving up a penalty late (hand ball).

Edited by TOcanadafan