The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

5 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I mean I think this is the first game I've watched him struggle against a winger. He's shown he's good enough defensively to stop Sancho Hakimi and whoever Chelsea and Tottenham threw at him. I think our ideal formation is a 3-5-2 with him as the left mid.

He was rock solid in the first half. BL had to go for it in the 2nd half and the game opened up. He got beaten on one play where they made a  pick play on him and a second where he tried to play the ball but overall over 90mins he had a lot of positive play. He's only 19 and now adds the German Cup to his tally.

6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Side commentary not related to Davies.  I can’t imagine the depth of the German National Team.  They were debating if Thomas Muller has done enough to warrant getting a call up to the National Team.

I could not ever imagine that discussion taking place in Canadian Soccer.  A guy playing AM for the best team in Europe setting the Bundesliga assist record and it’s a debate if he’s good enough to start for the National Team.  Insane.

I am a huge admirer of Muller, I love that player. 

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am a huge admirer of Muller, I love that player. 

But then again people especially Germans because I know a lot of German people...in fact one of my best friends who is German basically said that Joachim Low basically blamed Muller, Hummels, Boateng, etc for the German collapse in Russia 2018 and that is why Muller and company have not been recalled to their national team.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Transfermarkt just updated Bundesliga values. Davies had the biggest increase in the entire league. Added 15 million Euros to 60 million and is now #44 in the world.

Second most valuable LB in the world now

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Second most valuable LB in the world now

He’s 3rd.

1.  Alaba €65 million

2.  Robertson €64 million

3.  Davies €60 million.

I know Alaba is mostly a CB now, and on the same team but he’s still #1

edit- Davies is now the most valuable player in CONCACAF- ahead of Pulisic who has dropped to €54 million from €60.

David is #6 at €22.5 million and is the most valuable midfielder in CONCACAF 

Edited by baulderdash77

Bit of a bad draw for Bayern but I still consider them the favorites. Will be exciting to see Davies v Messi. Probably very exciting for Davies as he's spoken many times about Messi being his football idol. Lots of eye balls will be on that matchup 

Edited by SpursFlu

Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Bayern have a very commanding 3-0 lead, but Chelsea are in form and Bayern will be coming off a 4 week break. I still expect them to go through, but there is reason to be cautious with our optimism.

Hypothetically, Chelsea would be smart to default the game to give its squad better rest, recovery and prep for the next season... with a 2 week gap between the last EPL game and the Bayern match I think enough players will “check out”.
You are right that that they should not be over-confident, but I think this game is a blessing in disguise for Bayern as it should be good preparation / warm-up for the quarter final.

33 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Hypothetically, Chelsea would be smart to default the game to give its squad better rest, recovery and prep for the next season... with a 2 week gap between the last EPL game and the Bayern match I think enough players will “check out”.
You are right that that they should not be over-confident, but I think this game is a blessing in disguise for Bayern as it should be good preparation / warm-up for the quarter final.

I think that is optimistic. There is a lot of competition at Chelsea and players are playing for places if not for anything else. Even if the result is "out of reach" they are going to want to impress the manager and if you get an early Chelsea goal or two things will get nervy for Bayern. 

Conversely, an early Bayern goal could kill things off from the get-go. That's the scenario I am hoping for. 

Edited by Obinna

Davies vs Ronaldo is definitely another matchup I want to see if Bayern go up against Juventus in Champions League but I definitely do not want Bayern vs Real Madrid and I will tell you why: 2 words...Sergio Ramos...one of the dirtiest defenders in the world like you saw what he did to Salah so imagine what he could do to Davies especially if Davies is attacking.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Yohan said:

While all the players tribune articles are ghost written, I do find it particularly annoying how this writer clearly edits out all of the pesky stuff about playing for Canada that might annoy American readers and inserts a transparently bogus line about "North America" being his home  followed by an Audi plug.