General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

42 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

Assuming the above schedule is correct, does anyone know actual dates that these games would be taking place? I'd like to start thinking about saving up money for a trip to Cuba!

The international window will be from September 2nd to the 10th; so you'd probably expect the games to be played on the 6th and 10th, give or take a day.

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/jt0d6qoqwqwbp5sbofoc.pdf

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Something does not fit with the time of the game in Havana. Normally the matches at Pedro Marrero are in daylight, since the stadium has no lights. Lighting has not worked for a long time.

That is very true and I will add Cuba would want to play this match in the stifling afternoon heat as they did in 2012, it was a real advantage for them, it was crazy hot for us supporters, I couldn't imagine having to play football in that!

I feel as though the game start times are being set by CONCACAF to ensure 'prime-time' coverage during the international windows, regardless of where they are playing*.

*obviously there will be changes to start times as not all stadiums are of the same quality in CONCACAF

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

It also weird that our home games are listed at a set time considering we don’t know where they will be. 

While we don't know where the games will be, CONCACAF might.

22 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Based on those times im saying v Cuba in Winnipeg and v USA in Toronto

The game in Cuba could be anywhere honestly if the time is set in stone. Its on a Saturday so there is a lot of flexibility

7 hours ago, canta15 said:

The game in Cuba could be anywhere honestly if the time is set in stone. Its on a Saturday so there is a lot of flexibility

I can't really see a 9 pm kick-off in Halifax - which is surely more deserving of finally getting a match.

Though as pointed out, the kick-off time can't be set in stone, given they've scheduled night games in countries where they can't play at night ...

After the  historic moment of  qualifying  to  the World Cup Mexico 1986 in St. John's  Newfoundland, the Maritimers have been forgotten. My bet is that both games will be in Toronto (I hope to lose the bet) ;)

Edited by xabuep2

On 5/22/2019 at 7:51 AM, Yoginess said:

I like the way the schedule shaped up. IF we can take care of business against Cuba. It puts a ton of pressure on the US and they will have to play us on 4 days rest.

Agree, and we'll be playing at home and they will have to travel during their 4 day rest.

• 5 weeks later...

I like our chances to advance to playoffs.

If you look at the stats in WCQ, the US have struggled to win on the road. In 2018 WCQ, they only had 1 win on the road (St.Kitts). They either tied or lost the rest.

2014 WCQ, they won on the road against Antiga (by 1 goal only) and Panama.

Hosting all the Gold Cups and friendlies doesn't help them. They've been mediocre on the road consistently for at least 6 + years.

They are great at winning at home (minus recently) but not on the road. I even dare say they will struggle in Cuba and I think we have the advantage in Toronto.

That’s great that the USA is poor on the road.  Except for the fact that we’re even worse on the road.  The only teams we have beat on the road in a competitive match in the past 10 years are: Cuba, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico and Dominica.

Cuba away in 2012 and St Kitts away last year have been our two best wins..  

Away we have also been able to draw Belize and El Salvador in 2015 FWIW.  But both of those were awful performances.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Concacaf informed that the CNL matches should be  played at night, which puts the match at Pedro Marrero in Havana in checkmate. According to some reports, nothing has yet been done to put the lighting in that stadium, with two months to go before the game. It is even speculated that it is played in another country, Check this link:

https://www.cibercuba.com/noticias/2019-06-21-u186452-e13-s27066-luces-donde-jugara-cuba-liga-naciones-futbol-2019-2020

21 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Concacaf informed that the CNL matches should be  played at night, which puts the match at Pedro Marrero in Havana in checkmate. According to some reports, nothing has yet been done to put the lighting in that stadium, with two months to go before the game. It is even speculated that it is played in another country, Check this link:

https://www.cibercuba.com/noticias/2019-06-21-u186452-e13-s27066-luces-donde-jugara-cuba-liga-naciones-futbol-2019-2020

Not booking my flight to Havana then!