General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

As I recall, they brought many more than 11 players to Toronto, but 11 were all that was left after the defections. With Cuba playing away in both Canada and USA over the course of a few months, that is double the opportunities for defections. This pool could seriously depopulate the Cuban national program, especially as it will be shortly after whoever they lose during the Gold Cup. The last time Cuba qualified for the Gold Cup, in 2015, they lost four players to defections.

Edited by Cyrus

The only program in CONCACAF that has the luxury of calling games "training sessions" is Mexico....they are far and away superior to everyone in the region....the US is in transition so if they view Canada in that regard they will get a dose of reality quickly...

Watched both the US friendlies this week and they looked dangerous at times but its clear they are still figuring out the system....Chile, especially exposed a few things in the US team, but that's to be expected as they are a more than competent team

Edited by mrstepp817

Someone pointed out a couple pages ago that we are supposedly having our two matches with Cuba in the September window. I wonder if that's how they are going to do this all the way through. So maybe both Cuba vs USA games in October, then both Canada vs USA games in November. It would be weird, and I don't really like the idea of teams getting that many games up on other teams.

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

Someone pointed out a couple pages ago that we are supposedly having our two matches with Cuba in the September window. I wonder if that's how they are going to do this all the way through. So maybe both Cuba vs USA games in October, then both Canada vs USA games in November. It would be weird, and I don't really like the idea of teams getting that many games up on other teams.

For the most part I would agree with this, but because the first 4 tiebreakers are head to head (I don't mind getting our two games vs Cuba out of the way early in the competition).

Based on our history of "away games in Concacaf" our players can purely focus on getting all 6 points from Cuba in the same window. 

Then prep for the 2 American matches, if we don't advance because tiebreak #7 or something, it would be lame, but our players would have had great prep for WCQ and still be in group A next tournament.

Cuba 
(Offense oriented for Goal differential)

--------------Cavallini---------David

Hoillett---------‐-------------------------Davies

----------------Arfield-----------Osorio

‐------------------------Eustaquio

Adekugbe-----------James-----------Godinho

-----------------------Borjan

USA
(More balanced) 

---------------------------Cavallini---------------

----------------------------David-------------------
Hoillett---------------------------------------------Davies
----------------------------Arfield-----------

---‐-----------------------Eustaquio---------------

Adekugbe-----------------------------------------Godinho
---------------------James----------Henry------------

--------------------------------Borjan

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

For the most part I would agree with this, but because the first 4 tiebreakers are head to head (I don't mind getting our two games vs Cuba out of the way early in the competition).

Based on our history of "away games in Concacaf" our players can purely focus on getting all 6 points from Cuba in the same window. 

Then prep for the 2 American matches, if we don't advance because tiebreak #7 or something, it would be lame, but our players would have had great prep for WCQ and still be in group A next tournament.

Where did you see the tiebreaking procedures? I can't find it anywhere.

Agree with the points there. Get the Cuba matches out of the way and use them as preps for the US matches. 

And good keeping in mind that the point of this tournament is to better prep our guys for WCQ. If we get into that finals bracket, great, but staying in league A is the real focus, gives us a few more competitive matches against the top concacaf teams. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:
Cuba 
(Offense oriented for Goal differential)

--------------Cavallini---------David

Hoillett---------‐-------------------------Davies

----------------Arfield-----------Osorio

‐------------------------Eustaquio

Adekugbe-----------James-----------Godinho

-----------------------Borjan

USA
(More balanced) 

---------------------------Cavallini---------------

----------------------------David-------------------
Hoillett---------------------------------------------Davies
----------------------------Arfield-----------

---‐-----------------------Eustaquio---------------

Adekugbe-----------------------------------------Godinho
---------------------James----------Henry------------

--------------------------------Borjan

Do you want us to go to Tokyo 2020?

26 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Do you want us to go to Tokyo 2020?

Nation League is more important in my opinion but this is an opportunity for CPL youth players to get noticed this season (1000 minutes rule) and earn a spot on the team for the qualifiers.

I'd like to see what a more balanced team made of CPL and USL youth

Edited by Ansem