General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

8 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

And good keeping in mind that the point of this tournament is to better prep our guys for WCQ. If we get into that finals bracket, great, but staying in league A is the real focus, gives us a few more competitive matches against the top concacaf teams. 

Yeah winning would be great, but as long as we're in League A it's all good. We need those stronger opponents. 

After reading this, I see a beatable team. A little young, a little cocky and I reckon not all will buy into the new system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/20/us-soccer-tries-new-path-under-coach-gregg-berhalter-this-is-starting-point/?utm_term=.f8ea2052078d

15 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Where did you see the tiebreaking procedures? I can't find it anywhere.

"Balance of probabilities" haha, above 51% chance. 

UEFA nations league used that tiebreaker format and we have the identical structured tournament. 

UEFA & CONCACAF are both subsidiaries of FIFA.

As much as CONCACAF has done some strange things, I can't see our Nations League A structure not being identical to UEFA's. 

5 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

After reading this, I see a beatable team. A little young, a little cocky and I reckon not all will buy into the new system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/20/us-soccer-tries-new-path-under-coach-gregg-berhalter-this-is-starting-point/?utm_term=.f8ea2052078d

The funny thing is I thought in the first sentence you were referring to Canada (as it could apply to us) until I saw what the link was referring to. ;)

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

"Balance of probabilities" haha, above 51% chance. 

UEFA nations league used that tiebreaker format and we have the identical structured tournament. 

UEFA & CONCACAF are both subsidiaries of FIFA.

As much as CONCACAF has done some strange things, I can't see our Nations League A structure not being identical to UEFA's. 

Valid points. Except that UEFA almost always uses head to head as first tiebreaker, and FIFA uses goal diff as first tiebreaker. Given the sports climate around here I would guess CONCACAF will go with goal diff to encourage more scoring.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, Nerf said:

It would be great to build a Canada-US rivalry.  Of course right now, they don't see us as anything more than a training session.   Hopefully this is the year we surprise them!

If they meaning  the Americans think that well that's enough motivation  for me  to beat  them 

20 hours ago, apbsmith said:

For the most part I would agree with this, but because the first 4 tiebreakers are head to head (I don't mind getting our two games vs Cuba out of the way early in the competition).

19 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Where did you see the tiebreaking procedures? I can't find it anywhere.

Tiebreakers are as follows, which were the same ones used in the qualifying tournament:

1. Points
  2. Goal Difference
  3. Goals Scored
  4. Away Goals
  5. Fair Play Points
  6. Drawing of lots

https://www.canadasoccer.com/concacaf-nations-league-faq-p161791-preview-1

So actually, there will be no head-to-head tiebreakers at all.

23 minutes ago, Zem said:

Tiebreakers are as follows, which were the same ones used in the qualifying tournament:

1. Points
  2. Goal Difference
  3. Goals Scored
  4. Away Goals
  5. Fair Play Points
  6. Drawing of lots

Ugh. So if we beat the states by 2, and they beat us by 1, it comes down to who pumped Cuba by more. Bush league.

I'm not surprised by it, I just hate it.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

9 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Ugh. So if we beat the states by 2, and they beat us by 1, it comes down to who pumped Cuba by more. Bush league.

I'm not surprised by it, I just hate it.

It's literally the most standard tiebreakers in football, unless you consider the World Cup "bush league". Putting head-to-heads first is very much the exception, not the rule.

We should also probably work on that whole "beating the US" thing first before we start bitching about tiebreakers.

30 minutes ago, Zem said:

It's literally the most standard tiebreakers in football, unless you consider the World Cup "bush league". Putting head-to-heads first is very much the exception, not the rule.

We should also probably work on that whole "beating the US" thing first before we start bitching about tiebreakers.

Pretty much all UEFA competitions, plus la liga and serie a use head to head as first tiebreaker. And Fifa uses head to head after goal diff. So thanks for that comment.

And yes, we shall focus on beating the US first before looking at tiebreakers from here on ?

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

4 hours ago, Zem said:

While what you say is mostly true, Euro 2016 used head to head:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016

And personally I think this makes the most sense when the number of teams in the group is small, as you often have a "minnow", where an extra goal or two is really not indicative of anything, and the potential for bribery is high.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The funny thing is I thought in the first sentence you were referring to Canada (as it could apply to us) until I saw what the link was referring to. ;)

Ok it's close...but mate, we're hungry whereas they feel entitled.  I also really do think their vets and some of the (overly) cocky young guys may not buy into what GB's trying to do. For whatever reason, JH seemingly has built up team spirit and has our boys believing. I could be wrong, but now may be the right time to face them and nick a point or even three. Hope springs eternal.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:33 PM, Zem said:

1. Points
  2. Goal Difference
  3. Goals Scored
  4. Away Goals
  5. Fair Play Points
  6. Drawing of lots

Thanks, well I gladly stand corrected. 

Cheers.

Also, one step at a time, but no denying the US have a massive advantage strictly from a "tiebreaker" perspective, if we play both our games vs Cuba first. Oh well, at the end of the day, I'm just glad we are getting all these matches. In a few yrs, I'll start complaining about tiebreakers haha.

Edited by apbsmith

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Does any body have a clue when the announcement  of the games will be played the anticipation is driving me nuts. I just want to see Canada v USA live in a meaningful game.

The USSF have confirmed all their games will be played in October and November. Anyone else think, all tier 1 games are played in that period and September is left open?

Edited by matty

5 hours ago, matty said:

The USSF have confirmed all their games will be played in October and November. Anyone else think, all tier 1 games are played in that period and September is left open?

With 3 team groups if the US play their 4 games in the 4 Oct.-Nov. slots then there's no place for the other 2 teams to play each other. 

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

With 3 team groups if the US play their 4 games in the 4 Oct.-Nov. slots then there's no place for the other 2 teams to play each other. 

Well the US has made their announcement, so that is our problem. We are just going to have to deal with it.

If we'd negotiated NAFTA better these things wouldn't happen.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well the US has made their announcement, so that is our problem. We are just going to have to deal with it.

If we'd negotiated NAFTA better these things wouldn't happen.

Wait til we play China and Huawei gets dredged up...

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

you could but yea just just rechecked the window dates and it's tight as fuck

Presumably it is Canada vs. Cuba in September, then Cuba vs. the US in October then Canada vs. US in November. I say this because I am assuming that as the higher seed vs. Cuba we get the advantage over them in terms of not having all of our games played while they still have two more to go and know what they need to overtake  us while we are helpless about it by that point. While the US gets the best schedule as the top seed.

Hopefully we'll have secured our continuance in League A by the time we play the US.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

That's highly improbable.

it would be just weird to have the us play only 2 or 3 competitive windows and canada and cuba playing both games in september. i'd say either the us is mistaken on dates or it's all crammed into those 2 windows (as it's 3 games played over 8 days, given how small any time zone issues would be here).